Old 06-06-2014, 08:34 AM   #1
Battery Disconnect Question

I've just purchased a used 2004 Sunseeker and have very little prior experience with motor homes so I'm a total newbie. So this is probably a dumb question but ....can someone explain to me when or under what circumstances I would need to switch my battery disconnect switch to the off position? For example, when plugged in to a power supply should the key be off or on? I've searched all the books that were given to me but can't seem to find the answer (at least not in terms that I understand). Thanks in advance!

Csessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:46 AM   #2
Engineer of Crazy Train
For me, anything over a few days of not being plugged in. There are parasitic loads drawing on the battery all the time. Those include your refrigerator electronics, clock radio, and propane detector. These slowly drain your battery until, it is dead. That is a good way to shorten the life of your battery. And, it sucks when you go out to the camper, everything is dead.

TV - 2015 Ram Truck EcoDiesel
TV - 2006 Jeep Liberty Turbo Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
TT - 2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:51 AM   #3
Old Enough to Know Better
I only disconnect my batteries when I un hitch at home. Most all units have a lot of junk running in the background (LP gas detector, radio clock etc) My previous unit was a V-Cross that didnt have one and it would drain the battery in approx a week sitting idle. If you disconnect while on shore power your converter cannot charge your battery.
Hope this helps
Jim & Debbie England
Do you have Gas? 2015 F350 6.2L CCLB DRW 4.30 axle. 2012 Yellowstone Ridgeline 34RLT Fifth Wheel
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:24 AM   #4
If you can, try leaving your coach plugged into shore power as much as possible. Ours stayed plugged in even during the winter with the batteries connected. The only time I disconnected them is when I know I won't have shore power for more than a couple of days.
2014 Georgetown 351DS
-TruCenter -Front/Rear CHF -Hellwig Links -Tiger Trak -Ran McNally GPS -ScanGauge -Truck Systems TPMS -5 Star Tune
alparmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #5
Thanks everyone! That's what I thought but wanted to be certain!
Csessions is offline   Reply With Quote

battery, battery disconnect