Old 10-23-2017, 05:30 PM   #1

Berkshire 39A

Just put a deposit down in a new Berkshire 39A. My biggest concern at the moment is with the DEF system...... I've had a Georgetown XL for the last 4 years.... anyone have issues with the def system on these rigs?

Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:19 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

What is the concern? Def has been around a while now, 2009 maybe. Not having a Berkshire I think they are on freightliner chassis? Their truck circular the US with millions of miles on them so I'd hope they would have worked out the kinks. It was will just become another step every 5000 miles or so to add the fluid.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:01 PM   #3

We service a fleet of dodge 5500 bucket trucks with def system issues constantly. The dealership says it's the quality of the def being used. We purchase it from anywhere anyone else would, they use a def refractometer and it's supposed to be in a certain range, if it's not, I'm told that it will set check engine lights etc. so, my concern is..... this coach uses def, is it or has it been a problem for those who have had these coaches?? I'm sure this coach setting in storage won't help it either??
Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:34 PM   #4

You'll probably have better luck getting your DEF from truck stops. Always fresh.
JCDMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:03 PM   #5

Age, air and sunlight affects DEF and of course contamination. It can last up to a year if protected, but it can freeze which affects it as well. Most applications, you will use 2 gallons of DEF for every 100 gallons of fuel. Just be mindful of its nuances, keep it contaminant free and you will be okay. The biggest thing with Tier 4 engines that not many people talk about is excessive idling. This will cause the particulate filter in the exhaust to fill up more quickly. It is designed for a 5000 engine hour life which can be lowered by excessive idling. This replacement is not cheap. But even so, if you have a net average of 20 mph on your coach. That equals 100,000 miles, so chances are your never going to have to worry about it. Hope this helps to ease your fears.
Vmikeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berkshire