Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2012, 11:14 PM   #1

Braking my Dinghy

I was wondering if you would give me your opinion on which electric brake controller are proven dependable.
I will have a small dinghy that weighs less than 3,000 lbs and has a 5 speed stick.
I have been looking at Roadmaster one and their ne Invisibrake which is small and is mounted under seat.

Your thoughts?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:09 AM   #2

I have the roadmaster even brake set up and find it to work very well. It takes less than 5 min to hook up the grand Cherokee and set up the even rake. It is even quicker to unhook.
concours14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:05 PM   #3

Well I have decided on the Roadmaster All Terrain Sterling tow bar.
It may be more than I need at the moment as my dinghy only weighs 2,363 lbs. curb weight.

My car plate will be the Roadmaster EZ type that can be removed and only has 2 holes in the grille showing.

I have been checking and most states say a dinghy this small doesn't need to have and aux brake system.
I know what you will say that it is a safety issue and should use some type of Aux system.

Any comments?
Old 04-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #4

If you are a couple thousand pounds under your GVWR then I wouldn't worry about it. If you are right at it then you may stress your brakes. Weigh your fully loaded motorhome and see where you are at.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
If you are a couple thousand pounds under your GVWR then I wouldn't worry about it. If you are right at it then you may stress your brakes. Weigh your fully loaded motorhome and see where you are at.
I'm sure I am no way near GVW of the coach and the tonge weight is the only thing added to the GVW. The small car will not stress the brakes for sure. I know people who have Georgetowns with same size chassis and pull 5,000 lb vehicles. I will check our GVW just for fun next chance I get to find a CAT Scale.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #6
Hob

Iggy,

Did you buy a Volt to ensure Government Motors makes money?
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #7

Iggy:

It sure feels good to have that dinghy holding back there in a hard stop. My Honda weighs about 3500# and I can feel it pulling in a hard stop.

Also, I believe some states require dinghy brakes even for the lighter units. Look at MS, MO, NV, TN, NJ.

I have the evenbrake and the Roadmaster all terrain tow bar. As we get older, crawling around to hook up and remove the evenbrake becomes a bigger challenge than for some of the younger guys. If they had the underseat style when I bought mine, I would have gone that way.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bend302 View Post
Iggy:

It sure feels good to have that dinghy holding back there in a hard stop. My Honda weighs about 3500# and I can feel it pulling in a hard stop.

Also, I believe some states require dinghy brakes even for the lighter units. Look at MS, MO, NV, TN, NJ.

I have the evenbrake and the Roadmaster all terrain tow bar. As we get older, crawling around to hook up and remove the evenbrake becomes a bigger challenge than for some of the younger guys. If they had the underseat style when I bought mine, I would have gone that way.

Bill
You you are correct.
Here is a link to the map. LINK
Old 04-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hob View Post
Iggy,

Did you buy a Volt to ensure Government Motors makes money?
No a Fiat because its made in Mexico and I'm Italian.
Oh the engine is built here in the USA.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #10

Smile

Iggy, Don't you have a storage compartment big enough for that 2012 Fiat Pop? I had to Google it to see what it was. It'll fit in the back of that F-250 of yours. (got home yesterday)

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsthetwoofus View Post
Iggy, Don't you have a storage compartment big enough for that 2012 Fiat Pop? I had to Google it to see what it was. It'll fit in the back of that F-250 of yours. (got home yesterday)

Glad you made it home ok. Yep the Pop is a little sucker but just perfect for pulling around. I think as the word gets out more I think it will be great for folks who don't want a big tank behind them but still want a nice get around car.