Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2018, 07:50 AM   #21
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma24 View Post
We are plugged into shore power. That’s why I thought everything would run.
Sounds like half your circuits died. I would suspect an issue at the power pole. Were you plugged into a 50 amp (big 4 prong plug) or were you using an adapter and plugged into a 30 amp (big 3 prong)?

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:53 AM   #22
Citrus County, Fl.

Please let us know what you find out when everybody wakes up. I am curious to know if my hunch was correct.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:56 AM   #23

I added a second AC to my last trailer which was 30 amps. I had a separate power cord for the pedestal. This does not explain why some of his outlets would not be working unless the PO also switched some circuits to this new power cord.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:02 AM   #24

This sounds like a motor home without a transfer switch. Rather than a switch the power cable would be plugged into the generator for power OR plugged into the shore power to get power from there. The cord currently plugged into the generator should be unplugged from the generator and plugged into the power pedestal if it is this type.
The second A/C may have a separate power cord. If so, and a 50 amp outlet is available on the power pedestal, the second A/C could be plugged in there with an adapter.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:02 AM   #25

there are two 30 amp power cords. one is the original and one was added to run the 2nd a/c. she has the original one plugged into the generator output receptacle and the 2nd one plugged into the pedestal.

either swap them or as gl1800rider suggested, get a dogbone that plugs into a 50 amp pedestal and splits into two 30 amp receptacles that you can plug the two power cords into. be aware that if you do this you will not be protected with a 30 amp circuit breaker at the pedestal. you will need to rely upon the original 30 amp breaker in the mh and hopefully a 30 amp breaker that was installed with the 2nd a/c.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:05 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
This sure sounds like the original owner bought the unit with one AC and 30 amp service and had a second AC installed in the bedroom with a separate breaker and separate 30 amp power cord. I bet that is the cord plugged in to the pedestal and why the rear AC is the only thing working. Just a hunch.

If this is the case I would look for a 50 amp to 30 amp dogbone and use that on the 50 amp receptacle at the pedestal for the main cord and the one for the rear AC hooked to the 30 amp receptacle.
Agree with GL1800. Also that coach does not have a automatic transfer switch (ATS). In the electrical bay there will be a 30 amp receptacle which is the generator output. Whichever cord is plugged into that will have power only when the genny is running.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:18 AM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
Please let us know what you find out when everybody wakes up. I am curious to know if my hunch was correct.
I think you got it figured out for the member. Good deal

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:18 AM   #28

Thank you thank you thank you. We actually just switched out the cords. Now we have power to everything except the 2nd AC unit. We tried plugging both cords in but the 2nd AC still didn’t work. It’s okay tho, as long as everything else is working. Thanks again for all your help.
Momma24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:29 AM   #29

glad things are getting better. you say you switched out the cords. does that mean one to the shore power pedestal and one to the receptacle in the electric bay? the one to the pedestal would be the one that came with the mh and the other would be the one added for the 2nd a/c. that receptacle in the electrical bay is the power output from the generator and will only supply power when the generator is running. are you running the generator and the 2nd a/c does not come on? if you are not running the generator try turning it one to see if the 2nd a/c will come on. can you plug the cord for the 2nd a/c into the pedestal without removing the main power cord you already have plugged into the pedestal? make sure you label each power cord so you know which is which in the future.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:31 AM   #30

with the 'switch' of power cords, what you did was supply SHORE POWER to the majority of the coach, as you would normally, and 'lost' the power to the 2nd AC unit, as it is now 'plugged into' the generator, which is not running. If you start the generator, you'll probably now also have power to the 2nd AC again.
This is how the original/owner probably meant for it to be done, though if you have access to another 30amp outlet, or even a 15/20a outlet with an adapter, you can run it too. Move the power cord from the generator 'plug' to the additional outside power outlet.

The original/owner added the 2nd AC unit, and probably had ideas that most places where he/she was parked would have both a 50amp outlet, for the main coach, and a 30amp outlet, for the 2nd AC unit....running everything on outside power.
When driving down the road, though, you would need to plug in the 2nd power cord into the generator 'plug', so that then the internal breaker box would be supplying power to the main breaker box circuits, including the primary AC unit, and the 2nd AC unit would also have power from the generator.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:31 AM   #31

That sounds good glad that you have power now, I added a second AC and outlets to a toyhauler w/30A with its own breaker box and 30A cord.

Has the second AC ever worked??? If not follow the cord and see if there is a second breaker box somewhere else near the 2nd cord entrance

Pictures might help. But glad you have most everything working.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:48 AM   #32

Thanks again for all your help, yes, when we turn on the gen then the 2nd AC works but when I plug that cord into the 50 amp with a converter it doesn’t. Strange. We will keep working on it tho. So glad I found this site. May have just avoided a disaster or atleast an over budget camping trip if I has to run that gen 24 hours a day for 10 days while plugged up to shore power. Lol. Again, thanks for all help. I will try to send pics tomorrow.
Momma24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:01 AM   #33

so close. as i understand it you have the main power cord plugged into a 30 amp pedestal and it works. the 2nd a/c works when running off the generator, but doesn't when plugged into a 50 amp pedestal with a 'converter' (probably mean adapter).

how about one more experiment. unplug the main power cord from the 30 amp pedestal and plug in the 2nd a/c power cord and let's confirm that this runs the 2nd a/c. (you actually said it did in your original post). let's just confirm this so we know the 2nd a/c will run from a 30 amp pedestal. you may have to find the separate circuit breaker that is is the power circuit for the 2nd a/c and check that it is on. (after this go ahead and plug your main power cord back in).

so know we know that the 2nd a/c will run. the only issue when plugged into the 50 amp pedestal would be that the pedestal circuit breaker is off, not working, or the 'converter' (adapter) is not proper. check the pedestal 50 amp breaker as it may just be that it is flipped off. i am relunctant to tell you more about how to test if the 50 amp pedestal is wired properly or if the 'converter' is wired properly as i do not want to cause any damage or injury. but if that 2nd a/c runs when plugged into the 30 amp pedestal and not when plugged into the 50-amp pedestal it is either the pedestal or the 'converter' (adapter).
Old 07-02-2018, 11:56 AM   #34
Site Team

Howdy Momma24 and welcome aboard. Glad to hear that you've gotten a handle on the modifications that the previous owner may have made to the RV.

When you get back home, this thread may be of some help to you in understanding how some things in your RV operate, as well as certain RV terminology.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ts-157524.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:03 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Sounds like a Transfer switch problem. Motorhomes are that horse of a different color you hear tell about.
Did you have a 30 amp or 50 amp? You probably need 50 to run / ac unitis I do!
Dennis King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:28 PM   #36

Be sure to check the breaker at the power box that you are plugged into. That breaker must be turned on to get power. Turn off your generator, then flip the breaker switch at the power box. Should work great.
flynfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:34 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis King View Post
Did you have a 30 amp or 50 amp? You probably need 50 to run / ac unitis I do!
I think think what the previous owner did, is what myself and others have done to use two ACs on a 30A trailer. You do not need to change to 50A, you just add another 30A service and the second AC, then you can dog bone them to a 50A park outlet.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:48 PM   #38

I have a 30 amp 5th wheel that we added a 2nd AC unit to. We now have two electrical cords, one that came with the trailer(30amp) and the other one that was added to run the 2nd AC unit also a 30amp cord. I purchase a 50amp male adapter that splits into two 30 amp female or as some call it a Y adapter. I now plug the 50amp male connecter into the electrical box at campground and then plug the two 30amp cords into the female ends of the Y adapter. Both of my 15K AC units run fine plus everything else in the trailer.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:07 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
it's out of my league without putting eyes on it. what follows is just speculation. 30 amps with two a/c's? used? another cord? just a guess but it is possible that the previous owner added the 2nd a/c and separate power wiring to run it. it could be possible that the shore power connection is running one a/c and the generator is running the other. from what you say you do not have an automatic transfer switch. you say one 30 amp power cord is plugged in outlet in the mh itselg. this is probably the generator outlet. try plugging this cable into the shore power pedestal so that it runs the one a/c, tv, and other stuff. and plug the other power cable into mh receptacle (generator). i think you'll find that if you make these swaps the one a/c, tv, and other stuff will run from shore power and the 2nd a/c from the generator. again, just guesses. do not take as gospel.
That's how ours works. Unplug from generator inside the storage area and plug into the pedestal. Does the "second" cord actually hook to the motorhome, or is it an extension cord?
RacerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:23 PM   #40

GL1800RIDER sounds like what you have. I have the same unit as you and that's the setup I have. Two 30 amp cords. One for the house and the other for the additional ac.
reverand2000 is offline   Reply With Quote