Old 07-02-2018, 06:12 AM   #1

Canít run both ACs at night

Hello. We are currently on our first camping trip in our 2014 FR DS 30. We have never owned a motor home before. We hooked up last night but when it was time for lights out and we turned our gen off we lost power to all TVs and all outlets and the main AC unit (the one in the master stayed on). Is there anything we can do to make everything run without the gen?

Thanks!

Momma24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:26 AM   #2

Sorry to say this but if you are NOT plugged in to Shore Power after you "Turned OFF your Gen",you did NOT have A/C either! Youroo!!

Old 07-02-2018, 06:29 AM   #3

We are plugged into shore power. That’s why I thought everything would run.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:44 AM   #4

So this won’t happen every time? We were afraid that we would have to run our gen all the time while camping even when plugged up. Thanks.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma24 View Post
Hello. We are currently on our first camping trip in our 2014 FR DS 30. We have never owned a motor home before. We hooked up last night but when it was time for lights out and we turned our gen off we lost power to all TVs and all outlets and the main AC unit (the one in the master stayed on). Is there anything we can do to make everything run without the gen?

Thanks!
Sounds like a Transfer switch problem. Motorhomes are that horse of a different color you hear tell about.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:04 AM   #6
Lacey's Spring, AL

sounds like you simply tripped a breaker(s), check your breaker panel.

you don't need the generator when you are plugged in - there's no reason to have two different power sources at the same time - only ONE at a time can power the coach.

What size power outlet are you plugged into? 50amp, 30amp?

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx, 100,000+mi since '14... US, Alaska, and Canada... from W.C. Georgia, then W. North Carolina, now Lacey's Spring, AL : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:05 AM   #7

i'm making some assumptions, the first being that with 2 a/c's you have 50 amp service. this has two incoming hot leads and is wired such that one a/c and other circuits are powered by one hot lead and the other a/c and some other circuits are powered by the other hot lead. your statement that one a/c stayed on says that one lead is getting shore power. both leads are getting power from the generator.

this is going to take some investigation with a voltmeter to determine what is wrong. DO NOT DO THIS YOURSELF UNLESS YOU KNOW HOW TO TAKE THE VOLTAGE MEASUREMENTS!

you're going to have to start at the pedestal and work towards the main distribution panel.
- are both leads at the pedestal actually supplying power?
- plug in you power cord and see if it is supplying power on both leads as it enters the MH
- do you have power on both leads as it enters the transfer switch?
- do you have power on both leads as it leaves the transfer switch (shore power not generator)

the problem has to be somewhere in the above. you know things work ok once the power leaves the transfer switch as you say everything works when on generator.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:23 AM   #8

Because we bought this used from a non Forest River dealership I think we are just uniformed bc when the gen runs and the shore line is plugged up then everything runs great. We are at a 50 amp site but our motor home is only 30 amps. There is another cord (besides the one that is plugged up to shore line that is also 30 amps but it is actually plugged into an outlet on the MH in the same storage area where all the electric comes from. We just started a 10 day camping trip, what can I do from here to try to fix the issue? Should I try to plug up the other 30 amp cord into shore power as well?
Old 07-02-2018, 07:27 AM   #9

If your motorhome is 30 amps, you are probably not going to be able to run both a/c units, especially not with much of anything else plugged in or running.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:29 AM   #10

Oh Boy,another "Paul Harvey" situation,"Now the Rest of the STORY"! Youroo!!
Old 07-02-2018, 07:32 AM   #11

I’m fine with not running both ACs at night but what about my outlets and TVs?
Old 07-02-2018, 07:34 AM   #12

it's out of my league without putting eyes on it. what follows is just speculation. 30 amps with two a/c's? used? another cord? just a guess but it is possible that the previous owner added the 2nd a/c and separate power wiring to run it. it could be possible that the shore power connection is running one a/c and the generator is running the other. from what you say you do not have an automatic transfer switch. you say one 30 amp power cord is plugged in outlet in the mh itselg. this is probably the generator outlet. try plugging this cable into the shore power pedestal so that it runs the one a/c, tv, and other stuff. and plug the other power cable into mh receptacle (generator). i think you'll find that if you make these swaps the one a/c, tv, and other stuff will run from shore power and the 2nd a/c from the generator. again, just guesses. do not take as gospel.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:34 AM   #13

You can add up all the amps of devices that you want to run. Stay below 30 and you're ok. Go above, and pop.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma24 View Post
Because we bought this used from a non Forest River dealership I think we are just uniformed bc when the gen runs and the shore line is plugged up then everything runs great. We are at a 50 amp site but our motor home is only 30 amps. There is another cord (besides the one that is plugged up to shore line that is also 30 amps but it is actually plugged into an outlet on the MH in the same storage area where all the electric comes from. We just started a 10 day camping trip, what can I do from here to try to fix the issue? Should I try to plug up the other 30 amp cord into shore power as well?
Why are you running the geny with shore power hooked up? You only need 1- 30 amp shore power. That is all. Plug from the shore power pedestal into the side of the motorhome or a Main power connection on or in the motorhome. The genny is there to use in case the shore power goes out or your boondocking. that is all.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:40 AM   #15

I am fine with not being able to run both AC units on just 30 amps but what about my TVs and outlets? I should be able to run them, shouldnít I?
Old 07-02-2018, 07:41 AM   #16
PPST Wannabe

Anyone else as confused as I am?

Do they have 1 or 2 air conditioners for sure?
They mention 30 amp AND 50 amp....do we know for sure?
Running the genny AND plugged in at a campground?
TV and outlets donít work when genny turned off. Do we understand AC vs DC powered items in an RV?

First camping trip should always be at the dealers lot or at home.

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:48 AM   #17
Citrus County, Fl.

This sure sounds like the original owner bought the unit with one AC and 30 amp service and had a second AC installed in the bedroom with a separate breaker and separate 30 amp power cord. I bet that is the cord plugged in to the pedestal and why the rear AC is the only thing working. Just a hunch.

If this is the case I would look for a 50 amp to 30 amp dogbone and use that on the 50 amp receptacle at the pedestal for the main cord and the one for the rear AC hooked to the 30 amp receptacle.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:48 AM   #18

The only thing mentioned about 50 was that I was answering a question, I’m at a 50 amp site that also has plug ins for 30 amps as well. My MH runs on 30 amps. We did camp at home using the gen and everything worked except the 2nd AC unit. I’m just trying to get help, it’s stressful enough without sarcasm. Like I said, today is day 2 of a 10 day trip. Any HELP would be appreciated.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:48 AM   #19
Lacey's Spring, AL

yes, tell us EXACTLY what you have:

Yr, Make, Model of RV

bought Used or New

One Air Conditioner on the roof, or two?

Two shore power cords? 'WHERE' do they originate from?

You have a 30amp coach? yet, are plugged into a 50amp power pedestal?
What 'adapter' are you using to do this?

'splain yourself! and then, maybe, we can help.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
This sure sounds like the original owner bought the unit with one AC and 30 amp service and had a second AC installed in the bedroom with a separate breaker and separate 30 amp power cord. I bet that is the cord plugged in to the pedestal and why the rear AC is the only thing working. Just a hunch.

If this is the case I would look for a 50 amp to 30 amp dogbone and use that on the 50 amp receptacle at the pedestal for the main cord and the one for the rear AC hooked to the 30 amp receptacle.
Thank you so much. I will try this as soon as everyone wakes up!! And yes, I think that they did install this after market.