Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2018, 07:30 AM   #1

Charging battery on Jeep toad

Getting ready to start towing the Jeep Wrangler 2013. Bought a rvi3brake and will be running it straight off the Jeep battery. My question is-can I run a charge wire straight from the hot pin on mh to the battery or do I have to run it through a trickle charger? Also, will I have to ground Jeep to mh? I assume it’s already grounded thru hitch but just wanted to be sure.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
huckranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckranch View Post
Getting ready to start towing the Jeep Wrangler 2013. Bought a rvi3brake and will be running it straight off the Jeep battery. My question is-can I run a charge wire straight from the hot pin on mh to the battery or do I have to run it through a trickle charger? Also, will I have to ground Jeep to mh? I assume it’s already grounded thru hitch but just wanted to be sure.
You have to ground the cable from the 7 way to the jeep chassis...all I did was run the charge cable (always hot on my 335) to the battery positive terminal through a 20 amp circuit breaker. If you are anal, you can put a diode in the charge line as well.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
You have to ground the cable from the 7 way to the jeep chassis...all I did was run the charge cable (always hot on my 335) to the battery positive terminal through a 20 amp circuit breaker. If you are anal, you can put a diode in the charge line as well.

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2018, 08:14 AM   #4

We tow our Jeep TJ and only have the 7-wire to 4-wire harness connected from the Motorhome to the Jeep for the lights. I plug the Brake (Blue Ox) into the Aux 12 VDC on the dash. I have towed the Jeep for up to 10 hours and it starts every time. I just have to make a point to remember to always start it up and run it for a while at the end of each day.
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckranch View Post

I use the same system for 2005 Liberty. Have never needed to use a charge wire to the Jeep.
Do you have a problem with a low charge battery at the end of the day?

I unplug the rvi at the end of each day.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:54 PM   #6

We installed an RVI Brake battery tender on our Jeep toad. Easy install and was wired to the hot pin. On our TV, the 12 volt feed activated with the ignition. Our last trip was 4 days and 1,600 miles. The battery was fully charged when we arrived. Never had to start the Jeep for the trip.

One other note. Our Jeep cigarette lighter came on with the Jeep ignition switch. A Jeep tech explained that Jeep has a vacant fuse slot adjoining the lighter fuse. Removing the fuse and moving it over to the vacant slot makes the cigarette lighter always active.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalenss View Post
I use the same system for 2005 Liberty. Have never needed to use a charge wire to the Jeep.
Do you have a problem with a low charge battery at the end of the day?

I unplug the rvi at the end of each day.

Actually haven’t pulled the Jeep yet. Still getting it set up, but we are headed out next week so I’ll be updating this when we get back.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:01 AM   #8

I also tow a Jeep and installed an auxiliary 12v outlet on the sidewall next to my left leg. This for my Brake Buddy. It runs directly to the battery so I can keep the ignition off. I also use a Toad Charge from LSL Products.net to keep my Jeep battery charged. I have used it for several years now and it works. A little pricey but does the job.
Blue OX
cberlanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZNEDY View Post
We tow our Jeep TJ and only have the 7-wire to 4-wire harness connected from the Motorhome to the Jeep for the lights. I plug the Brake (Blue Ox) into the Aux 12 VDC on the dash. I have towed the Jeep for up to 10 hours and it starts every time. I just have to make a point to remember to always start it up and run it for a while at the end of each day.
X 2 !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:47 AM   #10

[QUOTE=cberlanga;1807083]I also tow a Jeep and installed an auxiliary 12v outlet on the sidewall next to my left leg. This for my Brake Buddy. It runs directly to the battery so I can keep the ignition off. I also use a Toad Charge from LSL Products.net to keep my Jeep battery charged. I have used it for several years now and it works. A little pricey but does the job.[/

What’s the advantage of the charger? Will the hot wire from the Mh keep it charged? I know folks do it both ways I’m just not sure what purpose the charger serves.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
We installed an RVI Brake battery tender on our Jeep toad. Easy install and was wired to the hot pin. On our TV, the 12 volt feed activated with the ignition. Our last trip was 4 days and 1,600 miles. The battery was fully charged when we arrived. Never had to start the Jeep for the trip.

One other note. Our Jeep cigarette lighter came on with the Jeep ignition switch. A Jeep tech explained that Jeep has a vacant fuse slot adjoining the lighter fuse. Removing the fuse and moving it over to the vacant slot makes the cigarette lighter always active.

What year is your Jeep? I just tried swapping that fuse slot and that’s the outlet back by the tailgate not on the dash. Maybe they changed the wiring🤨
Old 05-12-2018, 09:19 AM   #12

It regulates and protects the Toad battery. Quick disconnect and you can monitor what it’s doing when connected. It’s a personal preference.
cberlanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:28 AM   #13

[QUOTE=huckranch;1807170]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cberlanga View Post
I also tow a Jeep and installed an auxiliary 12v outlet on the sidewall next to my left leg. This for my Brake Buddy. It runs directly to the battery so I can keep the ignition off. I also use a Toad Charge from LSL Products.net to keep my Jeep battery charged. I have used it for several years now and it works. A little pricey but does the job.[/

What’s the advantage of the charger? Will the hot wire from the Mh keep it charged? I know folks do it both ways I’m just not sure what purpose the charger serves.

Ignition on or ignition off, there is always a parasitic draw on the battery. The braking system also draws on the toad battery. And the toad battery must always be available for the break-away system to work. Hence, a battery tender on the toad with a 12v supply from the TV taking the place of the toad alternator. When getting to the destination, the toad battery is ready to go.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging, toad