Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2016, 06:44 AM   #1

Class A DP vs. Super-C

Fellow campers... Indulge my fantasy. With the Powerball jackpot topping $400M this Saturday I got to thinking... what would I buy if I could afford any motor home on the market? Don't get me wrong - we love our Pursuit - it's an entry-level Class A and fit into the budget of this ordinary working stiff and his already retired DW. It will do us just fine and I can see many happy miles (and nights around the campfire) in our future. But what if...?

Let's say I was looking for something mid-to-high end but not stupid expensive. Give me your opinions - Class A DP or Super-C? I understand some of the pros and cons of each, but want to hear your opinions (and start a discussion). No right or wrong answers here... just sharing our thoughts.

For starters I'll say what's NOT important to me: towing capacity. I understand most Super-C's are capable of towing a lot more than a dinghy, but I have no need of doing that... no boat, no heavy trailer or car hauler... just a simple toad to get around at my destination.

What IS important to me is ride, driving comfort, cabin noise (DW is soft spoken and hard to hear on the road... and I know what you're thinking, but I consider that a disadvantage... I kinda like the old gal and hearing what she has to say), and of course safety.

Anyway - thoughts? What are the discriminators between the two options for my dream motor home?

2016 Coachmen Pursuit 31BD
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Toad
Nights camped in 2019: 76
pashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:06 AM   #2
WDW

I might vote for the C from the standpoint of driving - perception or real I'm not sure. We moved from a 32'C to a 37'A. Both are good. But we spent time adjusting each one to our liking.

Life is always better under a Palm tree...

2016 Mirada 35BH "Trolley"
2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Previous- Jayco Greyhawk 31FK

Western NY
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:49 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

I don't own either but...........

Almost every DP driver says they drive like a dream compared to the alternatives in the RV world. Also, you mention your DW is softspoken so it makes sense to have the engine waaaaaay back behind you, whereas even a Super C puts the engine mere inches in front of you.

Just sayin' but my vote would be a diesel pusher!!!!!!

Keep the dream alive

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
I don't own either but...........

Almost every DP driver says they drive like a dream compared to the alternatives in the RV world. Also, you mention your DW is softspoken so it makes sense to have the engine waaaaaay back behind you, whereas even a Super C puts the engine mere inches in front of you.

Just sayin' but my vote would be a diesel pusher!!!!!!

Keep the dream alive
Thanks for the input. Since I don't live in New Jersey (where the single winning ticket was sold this past Saturday) it will remain a dream for now... and I'll continue enjoying my Pursuit.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:51 AM   #5

Super C for the ability to get the engine serviced at any truck dealer. Had many mechanics say they won't work on DP, don't like having to go into coach to access engine.

2016 Freelander 26RS
2015 Jeep Wrangler toad
jjrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:52 PM   #6

We've looked at both and both have pros and cons. I really like the Super C for easy access to engine, drivers door a big motor in front in the event of an accident. The Jaycos and Dynamax have air brakes, suspension and have a decent ride. Cons..engine noise and layout are not as big.

Class A has a great ride, very quiet and great floor plans. Cons..engine access and only a huge sheet of glass in an accident.

We still have several years to decide what and if we will get or stay with a fiver. Life's little quandaries.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:32 PM   #7

our Dynamax is great, I dont feel there is a lot of engine noise. The class A's seemed to be to loose steering wise while driving. We are pretty happy with all aspects of the Super C. The coolest thing is that there are a lot of choices out there and everyone can find something they like in their price range.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:28 AM   #8

My wife and I are going through this question right now! We're looking to buy early in 2017, and we've pretty much narrowed it down to two models - the Berkshire 38A (DP), and the Dynamax Force 37BH.

We just found a local Dynamax 37BH at a dealer and looked at it today, and we *really* like it - having the bed-over-cab plus the bunks is really nice with our 3 boys, plus the ability to convert both the dinette and the sofa in to additional sleeping areas (for a sleeping capacity of 10!) seems like a nice capability for bringing extra family/friends along on trips! Add to that the 10k lb towing capacity which we don't need right now, but it would be nice to know our eventual toad would be *well* under the rated capacity!

On the other hand, the Berkshire 38A has a lot more storage with the pass-through storage under the coach, plus it has 1.5 baths, which is sure nice with a family of 5! It also has the advantage of the engine in the rear and the generator in the front, which would keep things quieter on the road as well as in the middle of the night when the A/C kicks on! However, we would have to break down/set up either the dinette or the hide-a-bed each night to accommodate the kids, and then there's the whole driving a "bus" thing that would take some getting used to, or so I imagine.

I hadn't actually thought about the whole safety aspect of having the engine in front of you in an accident - that is an interesting point to keep in mind - one more piece to the puzzle!

Does anyone have experience with the ride comfort/engine performance/general mechanic differences specifically between the Berkshire 38A and the Dynamax 37BH? Is there going to be much ride/power/stopping/safety difference between the two?

Thanks!
random_james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:09 AM   #9

When we were looking, the thought of making the couch or dinette into a bed every night weighed heavy.
With bunks and the over cab, the kids would have a permanent bed.
Also a bit more adult time could be had.
Put a kid to bed on the dinette. Your evening is over!!
We're sticking with our fifth for this year, and will re visit next year.

Ours will be a super C.
I'd be glad to have the engine up front. At least something between us and the front, in case of an accident.

The generator is near the front as well on the force.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 05-22-2016, 01:48 PM   #10

Can only speak to the Berkshire vs an up-front engine...

Having gone to the Berkshire from a front-engine gasser, I can attest to the fact that the up-front engine is louder when climbing a steep grade or even descending.... With my Berkshire, zero engine noise because the engine is 49' in the rear.... Trust me on this- there is a major difference here....

As far as making the bed each night - no really any more effort than making it when it over-cab... Only takes 5 min max....

Safety of English me up front - in my 40+ years of rving I can't remember a single time I've seen a class A front end crash....

Wouldn't take anything for our BERKSHIRE !!!! LOVE IT.....

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:49 PM   #11

Engine NOT English - dang auto spell

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:27 PM   #12

I think I would like some crumple zone in front of me...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1463945243.514819.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	108643

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 05-23-2016, 01:37 PM   #13

See the lottery is back up get a ticket
retired on a mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired on a mountain View Post
See the lottery is back up get a ticket
I keep dreaming.

But as I said in my OP... I'me perfectly happy with my "entry level" Pursuit. Still... can't hurt to dream, right?

Old 05-24-2016, 06:53 PM   #15

I am personally a truck guy, that why I love our Force. call me crazy but I like to hear the engine, if not I would sell my Dodge Ram and get a hybrid. lol
Old 05-25-2016, 08:12 AM   #16

There is a difference between a V10 screaming under your feet...
Vs a diesel running 2krpm.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 05-25-2016, 08:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
There is a difference between a V10 screaming under your feet...
Vs a diesel running 2krpm.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
I was asking about a Super-C vs. Diesel Pusher... not Class A gasser vs. Class A DP. But thanks. Super-C's are like "traditional" Class-C's but built on a commercial heavy duty truck chassis instead of a medium duty cutaway chassis. Most are diesel powered and the engine is located out in front of you under a conventional hood... not screaming under your feet.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:40 PM   #18

Class A DP vs. Super-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by pashooter View Post
I was asking about a Super-C vs. Diesel Pusher... not Class A gasser vs. Class A DP. But thanks. Super-C's are like "traditional" Class-C's but built on a commercial heavy duty truck chassis instead of a medium duty cutaway chassis. Most are diesel powered and the engine is located out in front of you under a conventional hood... not screaming under your feet.

I know.

There was another poster that commented towards the front engine being very loud. ( he was speaking of a gas, class A )

I've been looking for a Seneca or force.

I wonder who came first?
The jayco or the dynamax.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 05-25-2016, 06:45 PM   #19

The nexus ghost is another super c.

Cheapest of the bunch. ( $$ wise. Never seen one to speak on quality)

Renegade is at the top.
Haulmark and showhauler also make some pretty sweet units.
$$$$$$

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 06-01-2016, 10:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_james View Post
My wife and I are going through this question right now! We're looking to buy early in 2017, and we've pretty much narrowed it down to two models - the Berkshire 38A (DP), and the Dynamax Force 37BH.

We just found a local Dynamax 37BH at a dealer and looked at it today, and we *really* like it - having the bed-over-cab plus the bunks is really nice with our 3 boys, plus the ability to convert both the dinette and the sofa in to additional sleeping areas (for a sleeping capacity of 10!) seems like a nice capability for bringing extra family/friends along on trips! Add to that the 10k lb towing capacity which we don't need right now, but it would be nice to know our eventual toad would be *well* under the rated capacity!

On the other hand, the Berkshire 38A has a lot more storage with the pass-through storage under the coach, plus it has 1.5 baths, which is sure nice with a family of 5! It also has the advantage of the engine in the rear and the generator in the front, which would keep things quieter on the road as well as in the middle of the night when the A/C kicks on! However, we would have to break down/set up either the dinette or the hide-a-bed each night to accommodate the kids, and then there's the whole driving a "bus" thing that would take some getting used to, or so I imagine.

I hadn't actually thought about the whole safety aspect of having the engine in front of you in an accident - that is an interesting point to keep in mind - one more piece to the puzzle!

Does anyone have experience with the ride comfort/engine performance/general mechanic differences specifically between the Berkshire 38A and the Dynamax 37BH? Is there going to be much ride/power/stopping/safety difference between the two?

Thanks!
These two models are at the top of our list (as well as the Winnie Forza 38R) and we are looking at about the same time frame for the upgrade. Our nearest dealers on all of these are quite the distance. Hoping we will get to climb around them at the Hershey show. Anyway, I like the Dynamax, DW likes the Forza/Berk. (It's the extra half bath).
AdamC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a