Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2019, 08:11 PM   #1

Class C 3011DS VS the the class A FR3 30DS.

These motorhomes are almost Identical on the inside.
The are both Forest River, both 30FT, same floor plan. The only big difference is one is a class A the other class C. Also the class C has the treker option to rid the over cab bunk.
What would you prefer and why?

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/class...sic/3011DS/771

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/class...s/fr3/30DS/777
alikair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:55 PM   #2

Class C 3011DS VS the the class A FR3 30DS.

Difficult choice.
C: three doors for entry and exit
- smaller windshield
- smaller holding tanks
- better handling

A: only one way in and out
- larger windshield - bigger target for road debris
- bigger holding tanks
- more living space
- probably a bit more storage space

You will have to spend time in both and looking at both and pick the one you like the most, handling on the road and how you will use it.

Take a sheet of paper. Write down pros and cons of each - in your mind. Drive both. Spend time in both. Then you will be better able to decide. If you have a DW, she will be a big part of the decision.

If my 2801qs had the bedroom slide on the side instead of out the back, I would not be moving up to an A now. And that is only because my toad is now a bicycle. If it were a car, I would be overjoyed to keep the C - even though I have always wanted an A. There will always be trade offs.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:11 PM   #3

I store the RV in a building with a 12 foot high door. The class C height will fit, while the class A height will not. If you store in a larger building, or outside, height will not matter.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Difficult choice.
C: three doors for entry and exit
- smaller windshield
- smaller holding tanks
- better handling

A: only one way in and out
- larger windshield - bigger target for road debris
- bigger holding tanks
- more living space
- probably a bit more storage space

You will have to spend time in both and looking at both and pick the one you like the most, handling on the road and how you will use it.

Take a sheet of paper. Write down pros and cons of each - in your mind. Drive both. Spend time in both. Then you will be better able to decide. If you have a DW, she will be a big part of the decision.

If my 2801qs had the bedroom slide on the side instead of out the back, I would not be moving up to an A now. And that is only because my toad is now a bicycle. If it were a car, I would be overjoyed to keep the C - even though I have always wanted an A. There will always be trade offs.
What's wrong with a slide out the back? Never mind I just figured it out.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post
What's wrong with a slide out the back? Never mind I just figured it out.
You probably figured it out, but for us, slide outs on the rear of the coach will usually interfere with carrying bicycles on a hitch mounted rack. It wouldn’t be a problem so much when you set up and camp, but if you are just doing a quick travel stop on the road, and you have bikes mounted, and the rear slide is the bed, well then things are not going to work out well for sleeping.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:29 AM   #6
Wait till next year...

My personal opinion I would prefer the "C" if my primary usage was for touring and the "A" if it was more of a destination rig. Would love a 30x36 shower.
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:13 PM   #7
Senior

I too have been toying with selling my class C and getting a class A coach.

One of the things I like about a class A is that the front seats swivel and offer seating when parked and relaxing in the evening. Although the seats swivel in our C the floor is lower up front and getting out of the front seats when they are turned around is not easy for my 75 year old body. Also most of the length is incorporated inside the coach and nothing is outside under the hood.

In favor of the class C is the safety features that are built in like air bags and crumple zones. Modern safety options like blind spot detection, adaptive cruse control, vehicle or pedestrian detection and braking as well as other possible safety options that are unavailable in a class A. Normal maintenance is a bit easier since access to the engine is better and the chassis is more common so there are more mechanics that are familiar with the quirks of the mechanics.

My advise to you is to make a list of pro's and con's for both A and C for your comparison.
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:28 PM   #8

Class C vs Class A

We have an FR 3051S Class C. I viewed the FR3 and saw that it has a king bed which we really want. Also has the lr tv over the sink area for easy viewing from the sofa which has foot rests. We have the over cab bunk which we do not need and would prefer the entertainment center option. My husband loves driving the Class C. We had a Class A and traded. We are considering trading for FR3. We love the 4 door refrigerator also, which we presently have. Also like the counter space we have. Might be going to an RV show tomorrow in GA to view the FR3.
patsylou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:25 PM   #9

From the pictures, it looks like the 3011 class C has much more cabinets than the FR3 class A. Also it has more counter top for cooking prep.
it also has the same engine but the Class C weighs 4000 lbs less that the Class A
To me, my favorite feature is the power recliners on the class C.
The only thing I dont like is the bunk over cab and the treker is hard to find.
The only thing I really like that the Fr3 has that the 3011 does not is in the bedroom the FR3 has this really cool desk with window.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by n-e-d View Post
My personal opinion I would prefer the "C" if my primary usage was for touring and the "A" if it was more of a destination rig. Would love a 30x36 shower.
Touring vs destination? at 7 MPG I would drive from campsite to campsite and use a Toad to tour around. Are you basically saying the FR3 is not as pleasant to drive?
Old 11-14-2019, 06:08 PM   #11
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailski View Post
In favor of the class C is the safety features that are built in like air bags and crumple zones. Modern safety options like blind spot detection, adaptive cruse control, vehicle or pedestrian detection and braking as well as other possible safety options that are unavailable in a class A.
Ford is doing a major update of the F53 chassis used on gassers for 2020 so it likely will show up in late 2020 or 2021 models. Some of those features will be offered although who knows if Class A manufacturers will opt for them.

Ray
Old 11-14-2019, 06:19 PM   #12

We have an older cousin to the C in question. We have the treker cap which we love. We had a motor home in the past with the over cab bunk and it was a nuisance. Just the 2 of us so we didn’t need the bed and it was just a catch all. Much prefer the storage. We would never buy a rig with just 1 door.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:29 PM   #13

Quote:
From the pictures, it looks like the 3011 class C has much more cabinets than the FR3 class A. Also it has more counter top for cooking prep.
it also has the same engine but the Class C weighs 4000 lbs less that the Class A
To me, my favorite feature is the power recliners on the class C.
The only thing I dont like is the bunk over cab and the treker is hard to find.
The only thing I really like that the Fr3 has that the 3011 does not is in the bedroom the FR3 has this really cool desk with window.

I will miss those power recliners big time.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Touring vs destination? at 7 MPG I would drive from campsite to campsite and use a Toad to tour around. Are you basically saying the FR3 is not as pleasant to drive?

I think he is referring to how you camp - weekends and short stays, vs. staying for a month or more at each destination.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:46 PM   #15

I purchased a 2020 3011DS last spring after doing a lot of research and comparisons. I was downsizing from a 40' Montana 5er. We eventually narrowed our choices down to the 3011DS and the FR3 30D. A lot of factors helped select the 3011DS. My DW and I both felt the C was more comfortable to drive than the A. I liked the additional safety features on the C. The A was heavier, a foot taller, and had a 30" shorter wheelbase. I think these differences made the C more stable to drive. I like the built in steps of the C compared to the extendable steps on the A. I think the C, being on a van chassis, will be easier to service in many cases than the A. Our dealer's service guys agreed with this. I particularly liked the E-450 chassis compared to the FR3. It has been around for ages and has a pretty bulletproof reputation. I was a bit surprised to discover that none of the local Ford dealers will service A or C class motorhomes but I found a local truck service shop that does a lot of motorhome work and came recommended by the Ford dealers. The A had a larger gas tank and larger fresh, grey and black water tanks but we have found that the C tank sizes are more than adequate for our needs after a summer of camping. The 3V V10 in the A had slightly more torque and HP than the 2V V10 in the E-450 but I don't think the difference is significant and may be compensated for by the lighter weight of the C. The floor plans were very similar and we found the layout to be idea for a couple with a couple of dogs.
I think these were the main factors that helped us select the C over the A. It was not a major difference, but I think the C was a bit cheaper to buy and to insure. It may also be marginally cheaper to operate but I don't know that for sure. We found no major glitches and only a few minor glitches that required fixing after a pretty busy summer season of camping, We have no regrets.
Good luck with your choice. I think they are both good options and these were just our personal preferences.
2004 ALFA Leisure Gold Diesel Pusher (41')
1990 Elite (27' C Class, not on rental fleet)
1984 Elite (25' C Class on GO Vacations rental fleet)
HYDROG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:06 PM   #16

ClassA vs ClassC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYDROG View Post
I purchased a 2020 3011DS last spring after doing a lot of research and comparisons. I was downsizing from a 40' Montana 5er. We eventually narrowed our choices down to the 3011DS and the FR3 30D. A lot of factors helped select the 3011DS. My DW and I both felt the C was more comfortable to drive than the A. I liked the additional safety features on the C. The A was heavier, a foot taller, and had a 30" shorter wheelbase. I think these differences made the C more stable to drive. I like the built in steps of the C compared to the extendable steps on the A. I think the C, being on a van chassis, will be easier to service in many cases than the A. Our dealer's service guys agreed with this. I particularly liked the E-450 chassis compared to the FR3. It has been around for ages and has a pretty bulletproof reputation. I was a bit surprised to discover that none of the local Ford dealers will service A or C class motorhomes but I found a local truck service shop that does a lot of motorhome work and came recommended by the Ford dealers. The A had a larger gas tank and larger fresh, grey and black water tanks but we have found that the C tank sizes are more than adequate for our needs after a summer of camping. The 3V V10 in the A had slightly more torque and HP than the 2V V10 in the E-450 but I don't think the difference is significant and may be compensated for by the lighter weight of the C. The floor plans were very similar and we found the layout to be idea for a couple with a couple of dogs.
I think these were the main factors that helped us select the C over the A. It was not a major difference, but I think the C was a bit cheaper to buy and to insure. It may also be marginally cheaper to operate but I don't know that for sure. We found no major glitches and only a few minor glitches that required fixing after a pretty busy summer season of camping, We have no regrets.
Good luck with your choice. I think they are both good options and these were just our personal preferences.
I have owned both class C and A. Currently Class A w/ the ford V-10 3valve and 6 sp tranny. Better ride, power, torque, mileage, visibility and quieter hill climbing and less downshifting. IMHO Wouldn't go back
2017 Forest River / Coachmen 30 ft Pursuit
Bytesponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytesponge View Post
I have owned both class C and A. Currently Class A w/ the ford V-10 3valve and 6 sp tranny. Better ride, power, torque, mileage, visibility and quieter hill climbing and less downshifting. IMHO Wouldn't go back
2017 Forest River / Coachmen 30 ft Pursuit
Was the class C a 3011 and is the new Class A a FR3?
Old 11-14-2019, 08:51 PM   #18

Class A vs Class C

Quote:
Was the class C a 3011 and is the new Class A a FR3?
The Class C was a 27 ft. Gulfstream BT Cruiser and the Class A is a Coachmen/ Forest River 30 ft. 30FW Pursuit.

Bytesponge
Bytesponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytesponge View Post
The Class C was a 27 ft. Gulfstream BT Cruiser and the Class A is a Coachmen/ Forest River 30 ft. 30FW Pursuit.

Bytesponge
one of the reasons I am leaning towards the class C 3011 is that it weighs around 4000 pounds less than the class A FR3, and it has almost the same engine.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:15 AM   #20

I would choose neither because of the making of the bed. If you're old enough, it can be a real challenge getting to the head of the bed. That's why we ended up with a 2017 3050S. Can access head of mattress enough to make changing sheets reasonably easy.

That said, if I could only choose one of the two, it would have to be the Class C for that reason.
Oltimer13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, class c, fr3