Old 09-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
want a Cat 293REX
Class C or FW (28')-need help choosing next RV

We need your advice, suggestions and thoughts on our next RV. So happy we started with a 21 TT while we learn. We want to take a year to travel when we retire in about 2 years and are thinking of buying a fifth wheel about 26-28 but...

We have trouble backing up the 21 TT and wife is intimidated at the thought of towing a 26-28' Fiver. We have seen some beautiful Class C units in the 26 range this summer and are now considering a Class C.

Lots of pros and cons to consider as we would not want to tow a vehicle for the same reasons and this would perhaps limit where we travel to as a Class C is not a 4WD truck.

We are sure this has been discussed but I cannot find many. Please email or post a where we can review previous discussions.

Really would appreciate any advice and thoughts on this subject.
Thank you!

boatless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
If staying somewhere for long periods 5er has more room. I would go Class A over C, the additional feel of space is significant and I don't think the cost is much different for gassers.

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
Please don't buy a rig that will limit your travel.
We have a truck and TT because of the lower profile and we have a separate vehicle to drive - that will go anywhere we need it to in any weather.
We looked at fivers and decided that they were too tall for our style of wandering.
The old tunnels and the old bridges and overpasses may not be so friendly to you if you have a 13 foot plus fiver.
FOR SALE 2014 BOSS 6.2L F350
2012 Surveyor SV264
NW Oregon
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #4
Plain Old Member
We're getting out of the motorhome deal just for storage and room as we'll be full timing in the next few months. If needing storage, class A or fifth wheel. Class c's are great, but carrying capacity will sometimes be reached before you get it full, so we found out. I unloaded my class a when we got the forester, and got about half of it in the C. Fifth wheel hands down for storage, carrying capacity and towability. If you've never towed a fifth wheel, don't be intimidated as its so much better than the bumper pull. On the Motorhomes, in considering those, go drive the fire out of a class a and a class c to help with the decision. Everyone has different needs, so its a good thing we have so many options.
John and Rebecca Dickson
Emma-7 / Little John-5 / Iva-1
Full Timing Again, Rev B
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
We had a nice big 5er and experienced the irritation of finding neat places to camp only to find out that we just didn't fit the spaces ~ typically trees are the issue. Also, some of the worst arguments DH and I ever had took place while parking our 5er. As wonderful as it was, it wasn't worth it to us.

Now our Class C is a different story altogether! I loved loved loved it and still miss having it. It was a 28' Jayco Eagle ~ very well built, ran like a dream and I was comfortable driving it anywhere. As a matter of fact, DH rarely got to drive it. I loved it. It fit most anywhere we wanted to go. For whatever reason, Class A's make me nauseous.

I say try it before you buy it. Rent each and see what your experience with each are. I think that will be the best way to make your decision. Good Luck!
clancythecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #6
We have been through all levels of rec vehicles. Travel trailers provide the flexibility a vehicle to drive while camping. Down side is sitting in the car or truck while traveling. You can't go to the bathroom or make lunch while rolling. Some have generators for boondocking.
A smaller class-c could provide you with the versatility of a motorhome(access while traveling) and a car(transportation at the destination). All have generators which share a gas tank with the engine. We see alot of rental c-class units pack up daily then return in the evening. A small class-c can also tow a vehicle which weighs less than 5000 pounds.
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:41 AM   #7
We had a popup for 20 years and went to a 31' FW and backing in to a site is just as easy if not easier with the FW. Tows amazing and lots of room. Also we now have our truck to go anywhere and see all those things out on the road that are not quite accessable with a longer vehicle. So I say go with the FW for storage, ease of towing & convenience once at the camp site for sightseeing and all the other daily chores that may require a vehicle.
Mark & Barb
2013 8289WS Platinum Pkg
2008 F350 King Ranch CC 6.4
2013 nights camped 35
MarcusN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
I have made the progression from pop-up, 2 hybrids, 32' tt, and now 32' fifth wheel toy hauler. While I never owned a class c i drove in-laws many times and did not care for how it drove or handled. I personally like to towables because I think you get more bang for your buck with space and cost. There is a lot of maintenance, and up keep on drivables not to include higher insurance cost. While there is maintained for tow vehicle it is easier and cheaper to do. I wouldn't travel with out having transportation once I got there either by toad or tow vehicle. I think a upper 20 ft fw would be very manageable. Only downside is a little more physical hookup then tt especially if you have manual landing gear pins and tall 4x4 truck bed. Will need ladder for hitch and kneeling cuision for pins. Also 90 percent of time when using camper your not moving and a cab takes a lot of space. It is a downside you can't sleep or use restroom while towing 5th wheel like drive able.
CincyED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #9
I think we need to know what type of camping you like to do. State, local & National parks might limit you options due to length & height issues. A fifth wheel would give you easier backing than your TT & a vehicle to drive out from your camp site. It still is a pain to park your truck in these small mall parking slots. That is one of the reasons we like Walmart & Cabela's.

For the camping that we like, there are space limitations, those trees grow right where we want to camp . We traded a 30 foot TT for our 21 foot TT & we feel like we gained space with a better floor plan. The slide helps too.
2013 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2010 Toyota Tundra 4WD
lswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #10
want a Cat 293REX
We hope to go fishing across the country - so to speak - we want to see the USA. Kind of cliche, but Mt. Rushmore, Lake Banff, Vegas, Yosemite, the Canyon of course, etc. so I guess, typical tourist stuff. We are not committed hikers, but rather fly fishing. Maybe some BBQ competitions.

I don't think height will be an issue, or storage space, but we don't know yet. So many good suggestions here, thank you!

boatless is offline   Reply With Quote

class c, driving truck, fiver