Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2018, 06:31 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclinton View Post
I have been debating on how to take care of my RV while I am not using it. We have a new storage company here offering 15X35 fully enclosed individual garages with 110 hookup as well as a dump station and water to wash your RV for about $150 a month. I purchased a cover and am probably going to send it back. Just too risky getting up on the RV over and over. I feel keeping it covered will greatly increase how long I can enjoy it. Is the $150 a month a good rate?
Fully enclosed for 150 that's good , I paid 100 for a 10 x 30 and not all what you get, I would jump on it
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:11 AM   #22
Insert witty title here

Putting a cover on is definitely a 2 person job. It takes my wife and I a good hour to put it on.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:10 PM   #23
Site Team

I'm not climbing around messing with a cover that might screw up my full body paint...or my full body when I fall off!

Instead I pay $150 a month for covered storage, not fully enclosed, with 15Amp 115AC service. By paying annually I get one month "free" with every renewal. There is a waiting list that won't quit for any decent storage, much less covered storage, around my area...
Old 02-17-2018, 10:17 PM   #24

Years ago we stored our trailer outside (no cover) and after a couple years, when spring came, I stepped into the trailer and went through the floor. The refrigerator cover had cracked and let water in. Since we live in the country we decided to build a barn for the trailer. In 1986 it cost us $9,000 for the barn which was 40' X 30' with a 12 ft ceiling and a perfectly level cement floor. We are still using that barn and it is 3 trailers later. It was worth every penny since we also store our TV in there along with other stuff. It is heavily locked to help prevent theft and monitored, but, the best thing is, even in winter, I can go out there and check on it, keep the windows cracked to prevent air problems and sticking weatherstrip, and work on it during the off season. After 6 seasons the trailer looks like new (the one before it lasted 23 seasons and still looked good). Yes, there is a 30 amp electric (what ours takes), but, there isn't a place for the slide outs to slide out since, when we built it, they didn't make many (any?) slide out trailers, so there is only about 36 inches of clearance on the slide out side. But that is enough room to put a ladder beside the trailer all the way around for inspection, etc. Indoor storage is the way to go if you can at all do it. Even if there is a leak, or an unexpected crack develops, you are protected and air can circulate around the unit. And, you can work on it in the rain and not get wet! And your awnings will stay dry as well, if they are dry when you roll them up. In our very cold weather months, I just don't do much to it, but, in the spring before the camping season, there is a lot of time to work on your unit in relative comfort. We do spray the building for pests and bugs and that has worked well, too. If you don't have room on your lot for a barn, you may find a farmer as the other poster did, who will rent you space. I found it definitely worth it, especially after having to repair the weather damage to that first trailer 30 years ago.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:21 PM   #25

We pay $110 for secured lot covered, no utilities, here in Kansas. There's a waiting list for the covered spots. $75 for outside storage.
RacerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:43 AM   #26

We limited ourselves to units that would fit in our existing heated garage, although this time we did have to buy a new (taller) door- about a $3K cost. It is well worth it, our last trailer was like new when sold, never been winterized. Nice part about the setup is that it can be used as a second home in storage, slide out and all. I know many folks don't have room for a garage that size at home, we live out in the sticks.
retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:39 PM   #27

Cover it or use a Storage site...

Same quandary here, although the price of indoor storage is out of the question. When I had a trailer, I tried a cover. We regularly get 40-60 mph winds which hit the side of the trailer. After one winter, the cover was full of holes and tears. It took much polish and elbow grease to get rid of the light marks caused by the cover. MH has been outside, uncovered for several years. I am not sure whether or not the snow and ice contributed to the roof leaks, but it sure did not help. Now I am not sure, I would like to have at least the roof covered. I might try a custom cover and see how tight I can get it, if I can figure out what to do with the King antenna.

I also prefer to have it on my property. I go in it frequently except for the two or three coldest months.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 06:24 AM   #28

One would think if you can afford a motor home and the cost of repairs finding a place to store it would be a no brainer, . It may not be a inside storage but even in ohio I am seeing covered storage , it loos like a very long carport , if you have the room put up your own carport I got mine for 20x36 for under $4000.00 installed
Old 03-03-2018, 02:15 PM   #29

Has anyone used one of those tent like buildings that they store cars in? I don't know if they make them in a large enough size for RV's, but, that might be another way to cover the unit without touching it. Would a 40mph wind take it down? not sure. The car port idea for $4,000 sounds really good and maybe you could attach some windbreaker sides to it for lower protection at least during the bad months.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:42 AM   #30

I have 12 sides and I had it built I made sure they put the sides and back end with steel from the top down 6 feet so I have 6 feet of clearance all around
Old 03-04-2018, 03:48 PM   #31

Carolina carports makes a nice canopy carport. Unfortunately, I cannot get it to meet town regulations without major landscaping and adding a second 80 ft driveway. Ouch.

https://carolinacarportsinc.com/cert...oof-style/open
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:51 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfChuck View Post
Has anyone used one of those tent like buildings that they store cars in? I don't know if they make them in a large enough size for RV's, but, that might be another way to cover the unit without touching it. Would a 40mph wind take it down? not sure. The car port idea for $4,000 sounds really good and maybe you could attach some windbreaker sides to it for lower protection at least during the bad months.
We used them in scouts. You would have to come up with a way to anchor it down, otherwise it will take off on you with any wind at all. Maybe pour poles into concrete that would fit inside/outside the structure poles. Then you could pin it down. Never had the cover separate from the poles, but had the whole thing take off a few times, even when staked down.
RacerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:24 AM   #33

Kept our first trailer stored outside here in the DFW area. Two days before we were to take it in to trade in on our current fiver, it was totaled in a hailstorm. Thankfully the dealer made it very simple and took the trade in and told us to just give them the check we got from the insurance company. Worked out great for us.

We now have a 75' drive through covered storage with electricity, controlled access and on site owners. We love it. I also put my ulitility trailer and boat there. We pay around $200 per month. Hail storms really suck here.
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:08 PM   #34

I hate to leave mine outside and not under cover but I just can't come to grips with spending over 150 for covered storage. That's 1800 a year. That's a lot of beer money. We plan to full time next year so storage is out of the question anyway.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:28 AM   #35

I am fortunate to have a large lot with back alley access. I shelled out $1000 for a double gate and parking pad and now I park for free. I can go out and tinker on my RV anytime but 6 months of snow and freezing temperatures limits what I can do during those months.

Since my RV is easily accessible I view this as a trade off for not having a covered RV. I can go out after a show storm and brush off a bunch of snow. I can go out in the early spring and check roof seals and covers. I can check body seams and reseal them. I think that lots of preventive maintenance will offset a cover.

I see lots of 70s, 80s and 90s RVs on the road around here. Maybe luck, maybe good maintenance.
sask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:31 PM   #36

I purchased a really nice Carport for mine. I have no regret as it so much easier to deal with and very reasonable. If you might be interested just email me and I will get you the
Information. Six seasons with a RV tarps and wrestling with putting it on, this makes so much more senseClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5255.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	403.2 KB
ID:	176366 and smile every time I drive under it! My email is peja53@icloud.com.
PeJa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, storage