Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2019, 09:07 AM   #1

Dewinterize

Hi all. This was the first time I have winterized my RV. We normally store it in the mines. This year my brother in law offered a place so I took him up and safety sake I winterized. Now the antifreeze smell is in the line. I did shut off the bypass to the hot water heater. I have been told bleach. Help me please 😭
RUTROAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUTROAD View Post
Hi all. This was the first time I have winterized my RV. We normally store it in the mines. This year my brother in law offered a place so I took him up and safety sake I winterized. Now the antifreeze smell is in the line. I did shut off the bypass to the hot water heater. I have been told bleach. Help me please [emoji24]
Bleach???? NO!!! Bleach is for sanitizing the fresh water tank!!! Quite simple. I like to attach a hose to the city water line and turn on the water. One at a time open all the faucets run them until all the pink is gone. Filling the fresh water tank is mostly the same but I prefer using the city water-its quicker! I normally dumped the grey water tanks on the street, except the black water which could get you removed from your subdivision. Dump that the first time you are camping. On the other hand all tanks could be dumped the same way at the same time. I'm assuming you you didn't use glycol anti-freeze instead of the gallon jugs of RV anti-freeze! Glycol will kill all yours and your neighbors pets. Have fun!!!
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:15 AM   #3
Site Team

Bleach in the lines won't hurt anything. Just use the same process you did to add the antifreeze.

Dillute it to about 1/4 cup (2 oz) for every 15 gallons, run it through the lines, let it set for a few hours and then flush the lines with water.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:02 PM   #4

Just keep flushing the water through. The smell will dissipate. You really should not have to use bleach.
mdalb20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize