Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2014, 09:49 AM   #1

Diesel fuel prices

Hey campers, just wondering how much of a difference you're seeing between diesel and gas these days. Used to be around .30-.35/gallon around here, but now it's a buck. Can't wait to hear the justification of these price differences. I wish the oil companies/distributors would just come out and say "Hey, it's America and we can charge whatever we like". I could understand that more than the convoluted reasoning that we're being fed now.....
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:55 AM   #2

It's a $1.10 difference over on this side of the state.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:56 AM   #3
Campfire Master

On the east side of the state it between $1 and $1.10 per gallon. Don't know why, but the reason doesn't matter. The industry has a large bucket of reasons, they pull them out as needed.

John
AVid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVid View Post
On the east side of the state it between $1 and $1.10 per gallon. Don't know why, but the reason doesn't matter. The industry has a large bucket of reasons, they pull them out as needed.

John

Man, isn't that the truth....

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:07 AM   #5

Here in jersey it's about 50 -60 cents per gal. Desiel is about 3.09 a gal. Jim
jrlebaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:19 AM   #6

Gas is 275 diesel is 379 in Minnesota. I have a friend who has works as a senior engineer at a refinery and he said gasoline usage has been dropping steadily while diesel usage is steadily rising. He also said the the refinery is looking at ways to offset the lost revenue from the drop in gas sales by increasing the oil refined for plastics portion of the refinery business.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:33 AM   #7

Where we top off the motorhouse on the way in to park it after a trip, diesel is $3.06 gal.....gas at that same location and at my local fill up spot is $2.49

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:06 PM   #8

Destin... FL panhandle... Gas $2.549... Diesel $3.399... $.85 diff... I wonder why the truck stops are considerably higher than auto stations? I've seen as much as $.30 lately.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:35 PM   #9

The diesel here went up quite a bit when the stations started blending it for the winter. It was the same or a little less through the summer but gas went down and diesel pretty much stayed the same until they started blending.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #10

I don't care why I am just glad the prices are down. Gas $2.19 diesel $2.95
That is about half what I was paying in Ca. and Montana this summer.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:18 AM   #11

$3.24 - $3.45 Florida panhandle

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:30 AM   #12

$2.32 & $2.99 around here
Just don't know how long it's going to last

'Pa Pa's Palace'

Old 12-08-2014, 08:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSMRetired View Post
$2.32 & $2.99 around here
Just don't know how long it's going to last
They are predicting another .20 cent drop this week. I saw in parts of the great Country of Texas it dropped below $2.00 already at a few Towns. Just the wrong time of year for 70% of the USA where everyone is either freezing or snowed in. Good time to take that long trip with those prices. I can't remember when it was below $2.00 a gal..

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:48 AM   #14

Right now prices are at about a 5 year low.

Haven't seen gas below $2.00 anywhere yet.....my jaw dropped when I saw diesel below $3.00. Almost makes you want to go invest in a couple of storage tanks, problem is.....I got no place to store them. I received a gas buddy alert about two weeks ago that said prices were going to be falling in our area, they have slid a little.....but not fallen.

If it will at least hold to the beginning of travel season, I will be happy as well as lots of other folks I would think. The down side is, we all know it will be climbing back up at some point. Maybe I should rephrase that to 'jumping back up' it never climbs.

'Pa Pa's Palace'

Old 12-08-2014, 09:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSMRetired View Post
Right now prices are at about a 5 year low.

Haven't seen gas below $2.00 anywhere yet.....my jaw dropped when I saw diesel below $3.00. Almost makes you want to go invest in a couple of storage tanks, problem is.....I got no place to store them. I received a gas buddy alert about two weeks ago that said prices were going to be falling in our area, they have slid a little.....but not fallen.

If it will at least hold to the beginning of travel season, I will be happy as well as lots of other folks I would think. The down side is, we all know it will be climbing back up at some point. Maybe I should rephrase that to 'jumping back up' it never climbs.
I seen it on CNN this morning. A barrell of oil is now 40.00 bucks compared to 120.00. Opec also came out last week stating that they will not reduce production. I didn't know this but I was watching something and they made the statement that the USA is now the largest producer? Did you here that to? I find it hard to believe. I remember telling my wife that when gas was on that rise, OH don't worry it will never get over 2.00 bucks a gal. How wrong was I on that one.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:01 AM   #16

So, where can I drive to and get diesel for less than 3 bucks / gal?

I don't understand why the truck stops (Pilot) have diesel at 3.60, when you can pull up to a Wall Mart and get it for 3.29 right next door......
Jolly Cholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:22 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I seen it on CNN this morning. A barrell of oil is now 40.00 bucks compared to 120.00. Opec also came out last week stating that they will not reduce production. I didn't know this but I was watching something and they made the statement that the USA is now the largest producer? Did you here that to? I find it hard to believe. I remember telling my wife that when gas was on that rise, OH don't worry it will never get over 2.00 bucks a gal. How wrong was I on that one.
You are correct, we now produce more than saudi arabia, dispite the federal drilling band. What OPEC is doing is continuing to produce at current levels, to drive the barrel price below the cost per barrel to produce here. Already the amount of drilling permits in the US has dropped, thus setting up for less supply, and thus increasing the barrel price at some future point.

Whats even scarrier is the international instability, with less oil revenue going into their oil based economies. I say drill baby drill, and only trade oil with US friendly countries. Just sayin'
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Cholly View Post
So, where can I drive to and get diesel for less than 3 bucks / gal?

I don't understand why the truck stops (Pilot) have diesel at 3.60, when you can pull up to a Wall Mart and get it for 3.29 right next door......
I can show you in the Fort Worth Dallas area $2.95 diesel $2.14 regular. Prices are up for the people who need gas after the weekend to get to work. Oklahoma City has diesel for $2.85 and regular for $2.02
I think Pilot/Flying J are trying to recoup some of the money they paid out in the resent lawsuit. The other reason is they know the trucks aren't going to the smaller stations. Same old story location location location.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:12 AM   #19

That was my thoughts too, Bill.... but since I had this Good Sam Card....to save with diesel prices at Pilot....well, even with a discount... it's still cheaper at Murphy Wall Mart...
Jolly Cholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:11 PM   #20

I had an acquaintance in the upper part of the food chain at Dept of Energy. I asked why diesel cost more at the pump than gasoline since it cost less to produce. Viewed in the context of the last 20 years or so, his answer made sense. Diesel contains roughly 15% more energy (BTUs) than gasoline. Producers decided to price the fuel according to energy content rather than production cost, hence the price difference. Very rational indeed, not to mention the profitability angle. If gas is $3/ gallon, diesel should be around $3.45. This formula can be distorted by ethanol, state taxes and transition to low sulfur distillation which constrained the supply. Most of the time, the 15% differential is pretty close to what you'll see at the pump.
MiataHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel