Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2018, 01:32 PM   #1

DIY bunk ladder

I have never really liked the ladder for the over cab bunk area on our Sunseeker. Firstly we do not have kids up there so I don’t need that hinged door that covers the cab Cutout. Second the ladder is designed to have the hinge door folded out and have the ladder attached to the metal tabs. And finally, I find that the steps on the ladder are too skinny and really hurt my feet when I try to use it.

I found a really nice aluminum step ladder at a local hardware store that looked like I could modify to meet my needs. The steps were removed by removing the screws and drilling out a pop rivet for the support bracket. Since the ladder was going to sit down in the cab area which is lower than the cabin area floor, I drilled new holes which located the steps higher up the ladder. I also cut down the width of the steps by 3 inches so that it would fit between the cab seats. I also shortened the ladder so that it fit better into the space. I am not sure if I should put a cross brace at the top of the ladder or not, it seems pretty sturdy right now. The weight rating for the latter was 225 but that was in stepladder form. I weigh more than that and the ladder seems very sturdy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8252.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	184442

Name:	IMG_8254.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	184443

Name:	IMG_8255.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	184444
sask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:55 PM   #2
Now a "Top Member"

Awesome. All it takes is a little imagination to come up with a perfect solution. Great job.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:21 PM   #3
Sunseeker 2400MBW

We have same situation and my husband and I stand on the seats every day and hope we don’t don’t split all the seams to pieces.

I should do this ladder. We keep all our clothes up in this area.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:39 PM   #4

I plan to leave one bed up there and install storage on the other side. Right now it is mostly wasted space and more storage is always needed.
sask is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunk