Old 05-25-2019, 07:23 PM   #1

Dodge ProMaster temp gauge.

This video explains why my temp gauge always has the same reading. I was always happy to notice how quickly the engine warmed up in the winter and how it never got warmer in summer traffic.

According to this video the temp gauge is a sham. If true I will never buy another Fiat, Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep product.

Let me know your opinions.

https://youtu.be/_dVt1plVauY

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
This video explains why my temp gauge always has the same reading. I was always happy to notice how quickly the engine warmed up in the winter and how it never got warmer in summer traffic.

According to this video the temp gauge is a sham. If true I will never buy another Fiat, Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep product.

Let me know your opinions.

https://youtu.be/_dVt1plVauY

If you think this is limited to FCA vehicles you're going to be disappointed. The temp gauge in my GM truck is the same way, it shows 197F on the gauge when the actual temp sensor reads anywhere from 160F up to 215F or so which is the highest I've seen. So, I don't know at which point the gauge would move higher to signal a potential overheating problem, I just know the dash temp gauge lies all the time.

If it read the real engine temp I'm sure there would be a number of dealer visits from people asking why the temp is low or changes so much. So rather than deal with those customers they just have the gauge read "normal" as long as the coolant temp is within a very large "normal" range of actual temps.

Old 05-25-2019, 11:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
If you think this is limited to FCA vehicles you're going to be disappointed. The temp gauge in my GM truck is the same way, it shows 197F on the gauge when the actual temp sensor reads anywhere from 160F up to 215F or so which is the highest I've seen. So, I don't know at which point the gauge would move higher to signal a potential overheating problem, I just know the dash temp gauge lies all the time.

If it read the real engine temp I'm sure there would be a number of dealer visits from people asking why the temp is low or changes so much. So rather than deal with those customers they just have the gauge read "normal" as long as the coolant temp is within a very large "normal" range of actual temps.

You are correct, I am disappointed.

I lost count of how many GM vehicles I owned but gave up on GM about 8 or 10 years ago. Then after 2 VWs I gave up on them. We have had pretty good service from 4 Fords but my F150 has an issue that if it repeats again it will be outta here.

We bought my daughter a new 2012 Honda Civic. She has well over 100,000 miles on it with no manufacturing problems. She is tough on cars but the Honda can take it. 2 Chevys left her stranded on the road too many times. Mostly ignition switch failures.

I dont know if you watched the video but the guys engine was ruined due to overheating while the gauge indicated normal temperature.

Old 05-26-2019, 12:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
You are correct, I am disappointed.

I lost count of how many GM vehicles I owned but gave up on GM about 8 or 10 years ago. Then after 2 VW’s I gave up on them. We have had pretty good service from 4 Fords but my F150 has an issue that if it repeats again it will be outta here.

We bought my daughter a new 2012 Honda Civic. She has well over 100,000 miles on it with no manufacturing problems. She is tough on cars but the Honda can take it. 2 Chevys left her stranded on the road too many times. Mostly ignition switch failures.

I don’t know if you watched the video but the guys engine was ruined due to overheating while the gauge indicated normal temperature.

I didn't watch the video, that sucks about the overheating. That's my main issue with the dummy gauge, by the time it MIGHT show the engine is running hot it's too late. I want to know the temps are going up BEFORE it's hot so I can be proactive and prevent overtemp and not be stuck reacting to an overtemp condition. This is why I have a Scan Gauge II mounted in my truck, so I can see the real coolant, trans, and oil temps all on one screen.

Similarly bad are the later Cummins 5.9 and 6.7s, the oil pressure gauge in the Rams is a dummy gauge. The engine has a simple oil pressure switch with a 5psi threshold. Drop below 5psi and you'll get a low oil pressure warning, above 5psi and the computer will show a calculated oil pressure on the dash based on temp and RPM and just assume the oil pressure is healthy. One of the most ridiculous things I'd ever seen.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
I didn't watch the video, that sucks about the overheating. That's my main issue with the dummy gauge, by the time it MIGHT show the engine is running hot it's too late. I want to know the temps are going up BEFORE it's hot so I can be proactive and prevent overtemp and not be stuck reacting to an overtemp condition. This is why I have a Scan Gauge II mounted in my truck, so I can see the real coolant, trans, and oil temps all on one screen.

Similarly bad are the later Cummins 5.9 and 6.7s, the oil pressure gauge in the Rams is a dummy gauge. The engine has a simple oil pressure switch with a 5psi threshold. Drop below 5psi and you'll get a low oil pressure warning, above 5psi and the computer will show a calculated oil pressure on the dash based on temp and RPM and just assume the oil pressure is healthy. One of the most ridiculous things I'd ever seen.

The guy in the video installed a scan gauge so he wouldnt destroy another engine.

Is this the progression? Idiot lights replace gauges which are then replaced by bogus gauges to fool the buyers.

Tags
dodge