Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2015, 11:29 AM   #1

Domestic refrigerator not cooling

RV 101 question. We have the refrigerator on. The freezer got cold but the refrigerator didn't get real cold. The door was shut well and not continuously opened. Any ideas?

Also, when driving, what is the best way to keep the refrigerator running. If I remember correctly, if propane is off, the refrigerator does not run. I have been told to turn propane off to drive for safety reasons.

Thanks.....
West Cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:41 AM   #2

First how long has the unit been running it can take a day or more for the refrigerator to get to temp after the freezer. If you have a gas/120 fridge then it will run on gas while you drive there are also 3 way units that will work on only 12 volt also.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddupton View Post
First how long has the unit been running it can take a day or more for the refrigerator to get to temp after the freezer. If you have a gas/120 fridge then it will run on gas while you drive there are also 3 way units that will work on only 12 volt also.
Thanks Todd! We had it run all night. Is there a way it runs without the gas while driving meaning if we turn it on, it should run with the 12 volt from chassis battery and we can turn gas off. I am thinking it would give us the check light only when we shut down till we get ship power. If this is true, I had it on for a 6 hour drive and got no cold from it.
West Cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:20 PM   #4

What model frig is it? Odds are you have a two way - runs on 120 vAC or LP gas. HOWEVER - the frig needs 12 volts for the logic/controller board.

If your on shore power, it should be running on 120. when you remove shore power, it should attempt to switch over and run on LP (if the switch is in AUTO)

It will make several attempts to light the LP burner, then give up and display an trouble light. The only way to reset the light is to turn the frig OFF for maybe 10 seconds, then turn it back on again. It will then see if it has 120 volts, if it doesn't it will again attempt to light the LP burner.

COOLING PROBLEM.

Make sure you actually have stuff in the frig when you start it up. We usually put a couple bottles of water in the freezer and a a half a dozen in the lower frig. This not only cools the water, but technically, gives the frig thermal mass to work against. (Lot more mass in water than there is air) so this will help get the thermal differential going which should help air flow inside the frig.

It takes a good day for the frig to get to temperature. ALSO - try to pre-cool stuff in your home frig first, if you can.

MANUALS

I wrote down the model numbers of all my appliances, downloaded and printed the manuals, then took the manuals to Staples Office supply and had them bind all the manuals into one book (probably about 75 pages). (cost about $4 for them to spiral bind with a nice clear cover.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:40 PM   #5

We had a 3 way in our RPOD, and it only worked well when the ambient temperature was 72 or less. I traveled cross country last summer, and had to buy a seperate cooler to keep the critical items cold on the warm days. Had it checked out in Seattle, and they said it was fine (of course it was cooler there than in Kansas). BTW, we always traveled with the gas on. You are supposed to turn off the gas when filling up. I tried running on battery and noticed the battery would loose some of its charge on an all day drive.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:19 PM   #6
7 Year Class A RV'er

We always kept the fridge going - 24/7. If on the road, we either had the gas on or the gen running. Kept it on shore power when stopped. Fridge kept everything icy cold the whole time we had it (5 years - traded it in last April). When we did trade, the inspector remarked how nice and cold the fridge was. Leaving the gas on while driving is not an issue, just be sure to turn off the fridge when fueling.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:19 PM   #7

Did you set it a coldest?
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:18 PM   #8

I am having the same problem with my Dometic model 2652. It has been running for almost a week and a half now with a temperature that will not go below 68 degrees. The freezer is at a steady six degrees. I have tried running it on electric as well as gas, and the same result each time. I also travel with the refrigerator in gas mode.
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilcin View Post
I am having the same problem with my Dometic model 2652. It has been running for almost a week and a half now with a temperature that will not go below 68 degrees. The freezer is at a steady six degrees. I have tried running it on electric as well as gas, and the same result each time. I also travel with the refrigerator in gas mode.
Check to see if the fridge is level. Place a level on the bottom of the freezer to check, not in fridge or on shelves.

A trick to help cool the fridge I use when starting it up for a trip is to put 2 or 3 two liter bottles of COLD soda in it. Some use a bowl of ice cubes in it to give it a head start.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:23 PM   #10

Jim, level trailer. I used it on Memorial day and refrigerator worked as it should. Closed trailer up and for 1 month and July 2 opened it up and this is when it wouldn't cool down.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Sounds like partial blockage in coil leading to refrigerator section evaporator. Try tapping coil and capillary tube leading to fridge section with wooden dowel
"Dometic recommended method."
Unit should be online to remove blockage.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Jim, level trailer. I used it on Memorial day and refrigerator worked as it should. Closed trailer up and for 1 month and July 2 opened it up and this is when it wouldn't cool down.
Ok, try this. Shut it off, might have to pull the fuse or circuit breaker. Wait a few minutes then turn it back on. Make sure it is in auto, it should stay there as long as you are on shore power. If not it should automatically switch to gas and you should hear it trying to light. If it is switching to gas check your propane bottles to be sure they are on and not empty.

If you have a regulator that switches tanks automatically do not rely on it, switch your tanks manually if your main bottle is low. Have read quite often from people saying that switch didn't work.

Yes, you are right, the fridge will not run with the gas off when you are traveling. Most leave their gas on for that reason and have no problems. The only time you should have to shut it off is when you come to a tunnel. I think all states require you to shut the gas off at tunnels. I never shut my gas off when at home. I do make sure my hot water is turned off except when needed though, I normally run it on 110 ac anyhow. That way the only time I use the gas is if we lose power and I don't have my generator running.

Jim
Old 07-13-2015, 09:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Sounds like partial blockage in coil leading to refrigerator section evaporator. Try tapping coil and capillary tube leading to fridge section with wooden dowel
"Dometic recommended method."
Unit should be online to remove blockage.
Vince,
Did not get a chance to try your suggestion, just dropped it off at the dealer, under warranty and need the tt back in time for trip to SC. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 07-13-2015, 09:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
Ok, try this. Shut it off, might have to pull the fuse or circuit breaker. Wait a few minutes then turn it back on. Make sure it is in auto, it should stay there as long as you are on shore power. If not it should automatically switch to gas and you should hear it trying to light. If it is switching to gas check your propane bottles to be sure they are on and not empty.

If you have a regulator that switches tanks automatically do not rely on it, switch your tanks manually if your main bottle is low. Have read quite often from people saying that switch didn't work.

Yes, you are right, the fridge will not run with the gas off when you are traveling. Most leave their gas on for that reason and have no problems. The only time you should have to shut it off is when you come to a tunnel. I think all states require you to shut the gas off at tunnels. I never shut my gas off when at home. I do make sure my hot water is turned off except when needed though, I normally run it on 110 ac anyhow. That way the only time I use the gas is if we lose power and I don't have my generator running.

Jim
The freezer works fine, just the refrigerator not cooling down. The unit does work on 110 and gas. Just dropped it off at dealer, it is under warranty. Thanks for your post.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:09 AM   #15

We use a small battery powered fan inside the refrigerator to cool it quicker. Place it near the fins in the back. It should help. Also we run our generator for an hour while traveling and run the refrigerator off the generator or it will run on gas.
cap2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:22 AM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
The freezer works fine, just the refrigerator not cooling down. The unit does work on 110 and gas. Just dropped it off at dealer, it is under warranty. Thanks for your post.
If the freezer is working fine so is the fridge.
It's the same system.
The fridge needs food and beverages In the fridge to work properly.
The more the better.
It's an absorption fridge.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "11 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:58 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Cactus View Post
RV 101 question. We have the refrigerator on. The freezer got cold but the refrigerator didn't get real cold. The door was shut well and not continuously opened. Any ideas?

Also, when driving, what is the best way to keep the refrigerator running. If I remember correctly, if propane is off, the refrigerator does not run. I have been told to turn propane off to drive for safety reasons.

Thanks.....

West Cactus, are you still with us? Did you determine if your fridge is a 2-way or 3-way... or can you give us a model number?

Regarding traveling with propane on: there's a multi-page discussion on that topic about 2x per month. My unscientific guess is that 72.8% of us travel with propane ON and with fridge operating on propane.

I think we're back to solving your issue.

Sent (I think)

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Please let us know what the dealer finds.

Jim
Old 07-14-2015, 09:38 AM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Unfortunately I think the dealer will say it's fine.
As I stated before, if the freezer is working then the fridge is to.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "11 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:15 AM   #20
Drivestregis

There should be an adjustment slide in the refrigerator. This holds the flexible tube hoizontal that regulates how cold fridge is. It probably came off track. It has a "colder to warmer" scale. Put the tune and its holder back on a fin facing straight up and down.The flexible tube must be horizontal for the fridge to work. Jostling food around sometimes knocks of the adjustment slide or tube.
2015 Honda Fit Toad
Drivestregis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator