Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2016, 03:21 PM   #1

Downsizing Help

Greetings all, After nine years of full timing, I,m getting ready to downsize this winter. There is still some travels in my future, just not as much. I'm looking at the 26 foot Coachman Leprechaun and the Prism or Forester on a MBS chassis. I would appreciate any input on these coaches as far as handling,storage, quality, or anything else you feel is important. I pull a CRV, and I,m planning a trip to Alaska in the next year or two. I'm parked in Maine until Oct. and there is no place to look at these coaches. I'd like to zero in on something before I get to Florida. Thanks, Bruce
waco kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:22 AM   #2

I'm rather pleased with my Forester. The biggest weak point is cargo carrying capacity, but it has been a huge issue and if I were do it over I would choose the MBS chassis again. A real pleasure to drive in terms of vehicle performance and driver visibility and comfort.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:26 AM   #3

I owned a 2010 Solera on the MBS chassis for 6 years (purchased new) and have gone back to the E-450 Ford chassis (just purchased a 2017 Sunseeker 2250SLE).

If you're going for 26 feet and towing a CR-V (flat tow or on dolly) I highly recommend that you go with the Leprechan or similar. The Ford (or Chevy) will much better handle that load). The Ford has a GCVW rating of 22,000 lbs.

Just be sure, if you do it, that your Ford is a 2017 chassis and that it has the new 6 speed transmission. It makes a big difference!

I'm loving the pulling power of the Ford over the MBS turbo-six. As for MPG, my Solera got 14 mpg average over the years. If you're towing a CR-V with a 26 footer with the Ford my guess is that you'll see the usual 8 or so MPG. But at least you'll be able to tow!

Good luck in your hunt.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:33 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies, If I go with a leprechaun, I'll probably look for one on a Chevy, The Fords I saw in the past do not have much leg room in the cab area, and my other half has hip issues and needs to be able to move around and get up once in a while.I've been told the Chevy's have more leg room.......Bruce
waco kid is offline   Reply With Quote