Old 03-30-2015, 09:05 PM   #11

I have a button on the steering wheel and I put shifter in M not D and shift manually not allowing it to slow down before it shifts on hills...2014 Chevy 4500..

gtony2

Old 03-30-2015, 09:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian_D View Post
We have a gas motorhome.

While driving to Salt Lake City yesterday, we fared well on all but one of the climbs. On that one, it occurred to me that I should have used a lower gear (after D, we have 3, 2, and 1 on the column).

Then it occurred to me that I've never driven an automatic transmission and dropped to a lower gear while climbing!!

What's the proper technique? Do I just put it in the gear while still driving? Should I go all the way to 1 from the get-go....or start with 3?

Thanks for your guidance.
If you are not happy with the shift pattern I suggest that you look into a 5 Star tune. It will make an amazing improvement in drivability and hill climbing for the Ford F53 V10! Custom Dynomemeter Chassis Tuning Products and Services - 5 Star Tuning

2013 Coachmen Encounter 36KS, 2012 Honda CR-V toad, Roadmaster Falcon 2, Brake Buddy Vantage Select, Protect-a-Tow, 5 Star Tune, M4 LED lights, BIRD, ATS, Xantrex PROwatt 1000 SW Inverter and many other accessories & mods.
LLVanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wana65stang View Post
The beauty of an automatic trans is that it will select the correct gear for operation under normal driving conditions. If you are climbing a hill the trans will gear down when needed by its self, leave it in " D " and keep your foot pressing throttle peddle.Don't start pulling shifter back into other gears until you have more experience driving a automatic. Then you can start using 3,2,1 for helping slow down on hill decent and pulling away in mud or snow.Read your chassis manual for more info.
Forgot all about using the manual as a resource for this!!! I did check it out, and it helped a great deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vic View Post
With experience, you will "feel" when the transmission needs to go down a gear. Many of us anticipate this when approaching a hill, and downshift from D to 3 at the bottom of the hill. If you are going slow and climbing, you will likely be in 2 or even 1.

Also, don't forget to build up some speed when going down one hill and approaching the next hill. Your momentum will help you up the hill.
Thanks for the tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLVanB View Post
If you are not happy with the shift pattern I suggest that you look into a 5 Star tune. It will make an amazing improvement in drivability and hill climbing for the Ford F53 V10! Custom Dynomemeter Chassis Tuning Products and Services - 5 Star Tuning
I'll check it out. Thank you for the link.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I feel better about it already.
Days Camped 2015: 40
Days Camped 2016: 03
Christian_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:05 PM   #14

I always used the idea that whatever gear I went up the hill, to use the same gear going down the hill. I.e. needed 3rd to go up, then 3rd to come back down. Has worked well for me for several thousand miles. Especially in the Appalachian mountains.