Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2015, 10:11 AM   #1

Effective Use of Lower Gears While Climbing

We have a gas motorhome.

While driving to Salt Lake City yesterday, we fared well on all but one of the climbs. On that one, it occurred to me that I should have used a lower gear (after D, we have 3, 2, and 1 on the column).

Then it occurred to me that I've never driven an automatic transmission and dropped to a lower gear while climbing!!

What's the proper technique? Do I just put it in the gear while still driving? Should I go all the way to 1 from the get-go....or start with 3?

Thanks for your guidance.
Days Camped 2015: 40
Days Camped 2016: 03
Christian_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:16 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

If you have the throttle on the floor, it will downshift automatically.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:28 AM   #3

The beauty of an automatic trans is that it will select the correct gear for operation under normal driving conditions. If you are climbing a hill the trans will gear down when needed by its self, leave it in " D " and keep your foot pressing throttle peddle.Don't start pulling shifter back into other gears until you have more experience driving a automatic. Then you can start using 3,2,1 for helping slow down on hill decent and pulling away in mud or snow.Read your chassis manual for more info.
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:38 AM   #4

In D, the top gear is almost always an overdrive gear. Stay away from an overdrive gear.

You don't say what your TV is, so.....

Here's what I do. I have a Nissan Armada 5.6l with the 5sp auto and tow package. I tow in tow mode (button on the dash) and put it on 4. Very often, 4 is too tall a gear on the highway, and I switch to 3. In three, the engine is making a ton of noise, 3000rpm or so, but don't worry. Engines are designed to run at these rpms for LONG time periods. By putting it in 3, I'm avoiding lugging (my 5.6l is not a diesel, and thus <2000 rpm is not very effective), and I'm keeping the torque converter locked up (saving energy and keeping the tranny cool).

YMMV
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:41 AM   #5

If I feel the trasmission hunt, shift back and forth a lot, between D and 3, I just go for 3. Like strong winds or a grade with rolling flats ect...If I feel the grade is steep enough where it will eventually pull me down to 45 mph, I will just lift and go to 2. Then I can just give the throttle I want without being pedal to the metal all the time. The higher engine speeds give better cooling for engine and tranny. 45 is the limit on 2 and 25mph on 1 generally, for climbing or engine braking.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricInColorado View Post
In D, the top gear is almost always an overdrive gear. Stay away from an overdrive gear.

You don't say what your TV is, so.....

Here's what I do. I have a Nissan Armada 5.6l with the 5sp auto and tow package. I tow in tow mode (button on the dash) and put it on 4. Very often, 4 is too tall a gear on the highway, and I switch to 3. In three, the engine is making a ton of noise, 3000rpm or so, but don't worry. Engines are designed to run at these rpms for LONG time periods. By putting it in 3, I'm avoiding lugging (my 5.6l is not a diesel, and thus <2000 rpm is not very effective), and I'm keeping the torque converter locked up (saving energy and keeping the tranny cool).

YMMV
He's driving a motorhome not towing
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:50 AM   #7
Take The Road Less Travld

Quote:
Originally Posted by wana65stang View Post
He's driving a motorhome not towing
I which case, stay in D. the motorhome knows what to do.
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:58 AM   #8

Whoooops.....please ignore my post. I should read more carefully.
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddauberE View Post
I which case, stay in D. the motorhome knows what to do.
Not sure that I agree with that. Much better to manually downshift prior to slowing down to much going uphill than adding continual more pressure on the gas pedal to get the auto. to downshift for you.
Going downhill you need to put it into tow/haul or manually downshift to save your brakes.
These are somewhat more advanced driving skills than what you need for a car.
Google the subject and I'm sure you will get some good information.
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:24 PM   #10

With experience, you will "feel" when the transmission needs to go down a gear. Many of us anticipate this when approaching a hill, and downshift from D to 3 at the bottom of the hill. If you are going slow and climbing, you will likely be in 2 or even 1.

Also, don't forget to build up some speed when going down one hill and approaching the next hill. Your momentum will help you up the hill.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:05 PM   #11

I have a button on the steering wheel and I put shifter in M not D and shift manually not allowing it to slow down before it shifts on hills...2014 Chevy 4500..

gtony2
gtony2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian_D View Post
We have a gas motorhome.

While driving to Salt Lake City yesterday, we fared well on all but one of the climbs. On that one, it occurred to me that I should have used a lower gear (after D, we have 3, 2, and 1 on the column).

Then it occurred to me that I've never driven an automatic transmission and dropped to a lower gear while climbing!!

What's the proper technique? Do I just put it in the gear while still driving? Should I go all the way to 1 from the get-go....or start with 3?

Thanks for your guidance.
If you are not happy with the shift pattern I suggest that you look into a 5 Star tune. It will make an amazing improvement in drivability and hill climbing for the Ford F53 V10! Custom Dynomemeter Chassis Tuning Products and Services - 5 Star Tuning

2013 Coachmen Encounter 36KS, 2020 Chevrolet Equinox toad, Roadmaster Falcon 2, Brake Buddy Vantage Select, Protect-a-Tow, 5 Star Tune, M4 LED lights, BIRD, ATS, Xantrex PROwatt 1000 SW Inverter and many other accessories & mods.
LLVanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wana65stang View Post
The beauty of an automatic trans is that it will select the correct gear for operation under normal driving conditions. If you are climbing a hill the trans will gear down when needed by its self, leave it in " D " and keep your foot pressing throttle peddle.Don't start pulling shifter back into other gears until you have more experience driving a automatic. Then you can start using 3,2,1 for helping slow down on hill decent and pulling away in mud or snow.Read your chassis manual for more info.
Forgot all about using the manual as a resource for this!!! I did check it out, and it helped a great deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vic View Post
With experience, you will "feel" when the transmission needs to go down a gear. Many of us anticipate this when approaching a hill, and downshift from D to 3 at the bottom of the hill. If you are going slow and climbing, you will likely be in 2 or even 1.

Also, don't forget to build up some speed when going down one hill and approaching the next hill. Your momentum will help you up the hill.
Thanks for the tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLVanB View Post
If you are not happy with the shift pattern I suggest that you look into a 5 Star tune. It will make an amazing improvement in drivability and hill climbing for the Ford F53 V10! Custom Dynomemeter Chassis Tuning Products and Services - 5 Star Tuning
I'll check it out. Thank you for the link.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I feel better about it already.
Days Camped 2015: 40
Days Camped 2016: 03
Christian_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:05 PM   #14

I always used the idea that whatever gear I went up the hill, to use the same gear going down the hill. I.e. needed 3rd to go up, then 3rd to come back down. Has worked well for me for several thousand miles. Especially in the Appalachian mountains.
cstover is offline   Reply With Quote