Old 09-28-2016, 08:43 AM   #1

Family of 4 motorhome questions

So we are looking at the Sunseeker 3170DS and the Forrester 3171DS.

We have a 3 year old son and a 1 year old daughter. Most of my family has campers and the kids really love going out to visit and play etc. We are considering purchasing one of the above so we can also enjoy the experience. My wife does not like to fly and I do not like hotel rooms so I feel like this will really allow us to travel (weekends, trips etc).

Any thoughts we are a younger couple and want to make sure this will be the best option for our young kids, my wife is 30 and I am 32. Just seeing if anyone see's anything they would be concerned about.

Thanks,
Kyle

Old 09-28-2016, 06:25 PM   #2

"Best" is all relative with what you want. If you like the floorplan and can envision where everyone will sleep and how you'll "camp" in it, then go for it.

My first concern (without looking at the floorplan) is, if you use one, where a pack-n-play will go? Given you'll have night time and nap times.

Next is - is there a bunk for the 3 year old that you can put a rail on?

Is there room at the dinette for a high chair (there are cool folding ones) and booster?

Really take the family and spend a couple of hours milling around one. For instance, at RV shows- being a big guy, I sit on the toilet like I'm making #2 and I'll get in the shower. I want to have room to spread out with both of those things.

ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:05 PM   #3

Regarding the Forrester vs Sunseeker, remember that the units are basically the same. The Forrester has a few standard upgrades that people like over the Sunseeker. But the Sunseeker costs less up front, downstream maintenance will be close to the same.

My first family camping happened when my son was 3 and my daughter was 1 and we were in a "surfer van" at the time. We went to a couple of national parks in the van and then we decided to go up to a truck camper. We had a blast with all of us crammed into the small space. We had a planned play time every day and a planned nap time (albeit the play time always went better than the nap time). Wow, it's hard to believe that they are in their 40's now.

If you are unsure of this lifestyle, you could rent a Class C for a couple of weekend trips and see how everyone likes it. Then, you can make a decision about buying one without make the big plunge.

2016 Sunseeker 3050DS towing 2006 Hummer H3

WayneLee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:36 AM   #4

We had that floor plan for a couple years and traded to a 3010. We found the larger living area was more useful to us than the bunks. We use the overhead bed most of the time for guests and the sofa or kitchen table if we have more than 4. The kitchen counter space is one of the biggest things that will probably annoy your wife in the 3170. The 3010 has a huge counter.
If it's mainly going to be the 4 of you, check out the 3010. If your family is getting bigger or you think you may have guests a lot, the 3170 may be the way to go if you want more sleeping space.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:57 AM   #5

Years ago we started out with a 22 ft TT with my wife and 2 son's and I, we traveled all over. We live in Missouri and often would go to Florida spending 2 or 3 weeks away from home. We didn't just use our TT as a camper but as a motel while we traveled. We had a lot of memories of our travels.
We now have a motorhome and the kids are grown. We will do some camping, but want to do some extended traveling next year. I think it is a good idea and believe you will enjoy the RV life.
This forum is the place to go for answers to all your questions. Have great travels and safe trips which ever RV you decide to go with.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:02 AM   #6

If it was me I would look at the class A line at FR. The Georgetown has some great floor plans as well as the Berkshire. The room with 4 of you will be appreciated. The bunks could be configured to allow a nap place for the young ones.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:00 PM   #7

3 kids here with a 3170ds

I would highly suggest the 3170ds for your family. There are of course some trade offs the main one is the kitchen space for the bunks. With two kids you could make a non-bunkhouse model work if the kitchen/living space is important. We have a 7, 4 and 1 year old and it is perfect. The 1 year old has a pack n' play setup on the floor between the couch and the table. It is tight but we take it down during the day unless for naps. I know the 3170ds has a tub, not just a shallow curb, which of course is great for baths for your kiddos. Most shower spaces are just the curb. The only other downside to the 3170ds is that the rear slide out shortens the width of your awning a bit, not much but it is smaller.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:06 PM   #8

The idea of renting may be a good one but with two little kids the packing of a rental for one time use and then unpacking and cleaning of a rental may not give you a clear idea of how much work is involved in camping. Odds it will seem overwhelming but if you own it you can keep it stocked and partly ready all the time. If you are handy a nice used unit might get you into the lifestyle at a lower cost. We gave our son and daughter in law an older small c class for Christmas last year. He is an auto mechanic with his own shop. She can paint/sew/upholster anything. Between them they have turned an older unit in good basic condition into a showpiece. They have a 1 year old and just love to get to the campground. They keep it plugged in at home stocked with the basics. Even with the baby and both working full time they camp two weekends a month on average. We often camp together and in fact are getting ready to camp next weekend for Canadian Thanksgiving. Great memories!

They were able to make modifications to accommodate a pack and play that they will reverse when our granddaughter is able to sleep in the top bunk. They are already planning the mod to make the bunk work for her. Good luck!

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
nights camped 2015-89
2016 - 31
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:39 AM   #9

Kyle, we have the 3010 Sunseeker. We travel with the grand Kids. Ages now are 5,8 and this coming year 3. We love the extra counter space and the large dining table. The living area is huge. Lots of extra storage compartments. The tv is on the wall over the counter where everyone can see it. this works great for snuggle time. It also has lots of seat belts.

You can get a fold out bed in the couch or a jack knife couch. (We took the two recliners). So you could sleep 6 kids if you had to.

Draw backs. The toilet is small but it has it's own shower apart from the toilet.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:16 AM   #10

Thanks for the replies

Thanks for all the awesome information. It looks like a lot of suggestions that we also look at the 3010 for more room in the general living area. I did see a mention of the FR3 suggestion, I have been highly considering looking at that as well so I think we will check both these suggestions out. And I was glad to see a few say they liked the 3170ds and 3171ds (clones basically) What do you guys think of under storage on this camper? Would the FR3 have a ton more? Price is something I need to watch but the 10k difference is not an issue. Would I get a lot more camper for the money?

As for renting a RV, we have travelled with my parents in there class C on a two week trip down to disney world. So although that is a REALLY good idea i think we have tried it and know how packed it can be etc.

This forum is fantastic!! I guess I never thought of the 3010 per say because we do like the idea that the kids have "there own room" and that bottom bunk they both can sleep on when they are younger as it's only 4 inches off the ground... I DO NOT like the drop from the kids bunk area to the main room. Does anyone know how old the kids seem to still fit in those 2 bunks? We hope this will be our only camper purchase until the kids are in high school.

Tags
motorhome