Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2018, 02:48 PM   #1
Lifelong Learner

Fiberglass Roof Preventative Maintenance - Eternabond

Hi all,

A few questions for you fiberglass roof folks. I wanted to see what the general consensus is for those who have used Eternabond on their seams as a preventative measure.

I searched and read a lot about various methods of preparation and installation. A few people seem to suggest the best method may be to use dicor self leveling along the edges of the Eternabond for the best seal. I have also read about potential issues of trapping moisture under the tape and causing serious problems down the road. My thought is if it's prepped and installed correctly that shouldn't be an issue..

What method did you guys use with the best success? I'm new to both fiberglass roofs and Eternabond...

Also, curious if anyone has tried using the 303 multi-surface cleaner on their fiberglass roof? It's a ph balanced cleaner which seems like a good choice.
dinkhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 12:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkhauler View Post
Hi all,

A few questions for you fiberglass roof folks. I wanted to see what the general consensus is for those who have used Eternabond on their seams as a preventative measure.

I searched and read a lot about various methods of preparation and installation. A few people seem to suggest the best method may be to use dicor self leveling along the edges of the Eternabond for the best seal. I have also read about potential issues of trapping moisture under the tape and causing serious problems down the road. My thought is if it's prepped and installed correctly that shouldn't be an issue..

What method did you guys use with the best success? I'm new to both fiberglass roofs and Eternabond...

Also, curious if anyone has tried using the 303 multi-surface cleaner on their fiberglass roof? It's a ph balanced cleaner which seems like a good choice.
I have used the 303 tire protectant (not the cleaner) on a different older motorhome and liked it. I do like Eternabond, again I've only used it on an older motorhome that had a rubber roof.
Jaimberlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 12:41 PM   #3

Quote:
A few people seem to suggest the best method may be to use dicor self leveling along the edges of the Eternabond for the best seal.
a waste of Dicor, effort and time... Eternabond durability measured in decades where Dicor is measured in months...

I just checked a leading edge eternabond seal I made nearly 3 years ago on my forward roof seam and it is sticking 100%

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
a waste of Dicor, effort and time... Eternabond durability measured in decades where Dicor is measured in months...

I just checked a leading edge eternabond seal I made nearly 3 years ago on my forward roof seam and it is sticking 100%
Wow! That is super awesome. I was first introduced to eternabond via an RV mechanic in Illinois.
Jaimberlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:49 PM   #5

I have utilized both the Externabond and the Cofair tape. With great results that last for years. Utilize alcohol or the Externabond cleaner for a good adhesion. I personally like the Cofair sealing tape better than the Externabond. Both both are great used on both rubber roof repairs and on fiberglass roof sealing. Make sure the tape is flat and straight with no wrinkles or you wont be able to get them out once down on roof. I use a roller on the tape once its down to ensure full adhesion and no air pockets.
Sharpshooterspb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:56 PM   #6

Eternabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkhauler View Post
Hi all,

I used Eternabond on our 2012 Sunseeker fiberglass roof, just for peace of mind. Cleaned surface and existing sealer with Acetone. Great insurance from future sealer failure.

303 is good stuff.
brydle604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:22 PM   #7

Your use of the tape sounds interesting. Would you, by any chance, have a photo of how you applied it?
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerjohn7 View Post
Your use of the tape sounds interesting. Would you, by any chance, have a photo of how you applied it?
Sorry no photo. I applied it with the use of a hard roller to ensure good adhesion. Unroll the backing a little at a time as you go. Quite easy to do from a 10 ft ladder around the perimeter of the roof and got on the roof to do both ends and around the vents.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:00 PM   #9

So I presume that you apply the tape over the existing self-leveling sealer beads along the roofing joints. Is that correct?

If so, that must mean the tape has to flex over the raised areas created by the self-leveling sealer.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:17 PM   #10

hikerjohn7...

Eternabond install and write up here

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nce-90060.html

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 10-09-2018, 12:12 AM   #11

Quote:
So I presume that you apply the tape over the existing self-leveling sealer beads along the roofing joints. Is that correct?

If so, that must mean the tape has to flex over the raised areas created by the self-leveling sealer.
Correct. The tape is very flexible with a very strong adhesive.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:14 AM   #12

I put Eternabond on 2 years ago and sticking like new. I will be using it on every RV/camper I ever own from here on out. I sleep easy when thinking about the seams that have the tape applied. It is all the other seams that keep me awake at night now.

BTW, I did a video on it if you are interested. Super easy to do. Just make sure the surface is clean for a good stick.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:12 PM   #13

Can I use acetone as a cleaner before installing the tape????
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:22 AM   #14

Re apply eternabond tape to RV seams

Yes, I used acetone as a cleaner
Old 11-23-2018, 09:19 AM   #15

personally I used mineral spirits, followed quickly by a wipe of IPA ( not the beer), isopropyl alcohol to remove the last of the mineral spirits to help dry and final prep the surface...

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 11-23-2018, 03:25 PM   #16

Rsdata.... Exactly as I have done and recommend. I do admit that some IPA (the beer) was consumed post project however.
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 04:11 PM   #17

360true,

Quote:
Exactly as I have done and recommend. I do admit that some IPA (the beer) was consumed post project however.
come to think of it ME TOO!

I should not share this, as it is scarce to find, but seeing as only a few IPA drinkers read these posts... this is my new fav IPA...

Happy Holidays!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spacedust.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	192046  

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 11-23-2018, 05:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
360true,

come to think of it ME TOO!

I should not share this, as it is scarce to find, but seeing as only a few IPA drinkers read these posts... this is my new fav IPA...

Happy Holidays!
Spacedust is awesome. Top 5 in my book
swampdonkey772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:48 PM   #19
Jayhawker

Applying Eternabond Tape

Quote:
Clean surface that the Eternabond will cover. Measure and cut the length of tape you will need and lay it out where you will be placing it. Start by pulling about one inch of the paper backing away from your starting point and place the sticky side down. Slowly remove the paper backing and smooth the Eternabond down as you go. My DW was smoothing the Eternabond down and keeping it positioned as I slowly pulled the paper off the length of Eternabond. We did the entire length of our slide out roof. After that we rolled it down smooth with a can of pork and beans (we were camping so we improvised). Once its (Eternabond) down thats it, so beware!
Jayhawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:27 PM   #20
Chief tinkerer

Hey JayHawker, what brand of Pork n Beans works best with this method?

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eternabond, fiberglass, maintenance, roo, roof, vent