Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2015, 12:58 PM   #1

First MH Purchase; what to include with coach

DW and I are getting ready to decide which coach to buy. Might be a MBS 2400/2401W or Ford 2430/2431W.

While negotiating price what other dealer supplied items should we be looking at being included in the price? I.E. water supply hose, longer sewer line, power cord attachments, etc.

Thank you for your suggestions.
dloy1324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:39 PM   #2
7 Year Class A RV'er

More than likely you're going to be a lot better off just picking up those things on your own through Amazon or similar. Dealer, if he says he'll throw them in, is still going to recoup that cost somewhere at about five times what you can find it for. To help out a bit, here's a list of things I've procured over time that will most likely be helpful to you.

1. A good surge protector/EMS: I would suggest a Progressive Industries, either hard wired or pigtail style. You might get the dealer to install it if you go with the hard wired model, but it's a simple self install item.

2. Day/Night shades in the coach.

3. Vent covers over the exhaust vents to allow you to leave vents open and run fans even in rain.

4. At least two 25' white drinking water hoses, so you gave a spare and for long hookup's. You also may want a water pressure regulator. I'd go for the brass one with a pressure gauge; they're adjustable and you can actually see what pressure you're running.

5. Rhino flex or similar heavy duty sewer hose. The freely they'll give you with the new coach is junk, but keep it for emergencies.

6. To go with the sewer hose, you're going to want a few small accessories like a clear connection so you can see that things are draining and a hard rubber sewer hose "donut". Some parks require a donut if they don't have a screw connection at the inlet. You'll also want a short black water hose for rinsing the holding tanks and cleanup, as well as a box of nitrile or similar gloves.

7. Probably want a small propane grill to carry with you. We went with a cast aluminum infrared for about $125 and really like it.

8. Several small LED flashlights to keep around the coach.

9. A good tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS). I suggest a TST507 myself. The less expensive ones can be trouble.

10. If you really want to keep tabs on the engine, etc., invest in a ScanGage.

11. Get some heavy duty plastic tubs to keep things organized. I also carry bungee cords, nylon cord, a plastic tarp (get it free with the coupons at Harbor Freight) and electrical ties for emergencies.

12. Basic hand tools and a pretty good electrical repair kit, including a small voltmeter and a 12V tester. Also spare fuses, all sizes.

13. A good extendable handle windshield scrubber/squeegee.

Hope this helps some. Definitely not all inclusive but should get you started. Good luck!

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:59 PM   #3

Not a bad list above, I think over the years I have bought each item over the last 4 years. You will save some bucks buying it yourself.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 04:56 PM   #4
Wait till next year...

Wow...Conceptumator list looks pretty inclusive to me. I'd highlite the Progressive Industries EMS,sewer and water hoses,Scanguage and multimeter. I'm still working on that list
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:24 PM   #5

Awesome response. Thank for the list. Actually looking forward to filling it. It will mean we would have bought the coach.

Thanks again.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:37 PM   #6
7 Year Class A RV'er

Had to run earlier, but here are a few more items you might need:

1. If you have a gas oven, you're going to want a couple of long reach butane lighters for lighting the pilot.

2. Get a couple of good 110V extension cords for stuff you may want to plug up outside.

3. I always carry some pigtail power adapters just in case, like 30A male to 50A female, etc.

4. I carry a 50' roll of coax antenna cable with ends to connect to cable outlets in the campgrounds.

5. Lowe's sells some nice plastic cord clamps to hold them coiled; come in a variety of sizes. Make cords storage and handling much simpler.

6. I carry a quart bottle of bleach and a plastic spray bottle in my water compartment. Keep it full of water with some bleach mixed in. Before I connect the potable water, I use it to spray all the connections (hose and faucets). Just makes me feel better knowing the last camper may well gave disconnected from the faucet right after dumping his black water!

7. I also keep a small weather alert radio in the RV running on batteries. Set it up and tune in the local weather service when we get there. If there's bad weather coming, I want to know about it.

8. I also carry a small 110V air compressor and a tire repair kit. The compressor works good everywhere, but the tire repair kit will only help with the toad or a trailer. I figure the 120V compressor is stronger than a 12V and you can always fire up the generator if you need air on the road.

9. Some miscellaneous emergency repair items: silicone caulk, superglue, duct tape, electrical tape, electrical ties (I've already listed a couple of these earlier), etc.

10. A cordless drill driver; if you ever have to use the emergency tool for raising the levelers, etc., you'll be glad you have it!

11. First aid kit of some kind, or at least the things you might need. Benadryl tablets and cream are great when you get bit or stung!

12. I carry an LED work light, too. It's great outside as it won't get hot and burn someone, but it also works well if you have an emergency roadside.

OK, I'll stop now. I admit to being somewhat paranoid and over prepared, but I sleep a lot better knowing I have all this "stuff" with me. I've leaned my compressor to others at campgrounds, shared my tools, helped a fellow fix his dragging light harness with my electrical ties and many other things over time. Give a shout if you have any questions. Have a nice evening.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:40 PM   #7
Site Team

+2 on conceptumator's lists.

Ask what accessories the dealer may be including in the deal. Most dealers in my area throw in a basic setup of water hose, pressure regulator, sewer hose, power adapters, etc. Then request an in-store credit in that amount to buy a better grade of items than what is generally provided. It may only be $50 or so but that gets you started shopping.

Also keep in mind Amazon, eBay and Wally World offer most of these items at a much lower cost than most RV dealers.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:47 PM   #8
Wait till next year...

Let me add camco screen door bar-http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-RV-Screen-Door-Cross-Bar/23636873-first mod I did on my MH. That you may get the dealer to add
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:04 AM   #9

Conceptumater, I hope that list did not stem from need but from thinking preparedness? Thank you for the list though.

RedLdr1, I like the store credit idea, thanks.

N E D, that is a great idea, too. Probably has saved a few hands from breaking through/down the screen door.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:27 AM   #10
Site Team

Don't present the list until you feel you have the price yu want and are ready to sign. Then tell them you will sign if they sweeten the deal with the additional items. You may not get all, but certainly some or most. They are not going to lose a $80,000 deal over a $10 ( their cost) sewer hose. Unless you know that they have an excellent service dept and take good care of their customers, I would completely discount any references to the value of local dealer or service in the deal.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:23 PM   #11

Great lists previously. Not familiar with the units you are looking at but if I had to do over I would have asked for a tow bar setup to pull a toad. You could also ask for a dolly if you want to go that way. The dealer actually offered to help with a 4 down setup but I didn't have a vehicle that I could tow.

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:36 PM   #12

One more thing few people mention, get screens that fit over the outside furnace vents to prevent mud dobbers from setting up home there.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:05 PM   #13

Just my preference.....but a 25' and a 50' water hose for me. Only needed both a couple times.....but 2 25' would not have made it. I also carry a 30 amp to 50 amp adapter. Again only needed it a couple times.....but without it .....it might get hot. There are a few places around that only have 50 amp hook ups.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:41 PM   #14
7 Year Class A RV'er

dloy1324: Thankfully a lot of it is my being paranoid about being prepared, but several of these things have been learned the hard way. The cordless drill was actually purchased to try and screw a rear view mirror back on our old RV when the mounting lags pulled out on a trip. Also, trying to light an oven pilot with a burning twisted piece of paper is not much fun. Your list of necessities us sure to grow the more you travel. Have fun!

Old 07-27-2015, 04:16 PM   #15

Don't forget the food and drinks and extra clothes and lawn chairs. LOL
Happy Camping, enjoy.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote