Old 10-02-2017, 09:30 PM   #1

first time rv looker

I am looking at purchasing a used class a. I am trying to educate myself before buying. I have been looking at the Georgetown 3 or 5 series. The question I have is there a big difference between G-town, Fleetwood and Winnebago. I would appreciate any feedback, I am very concern about making the wrong purchase. Thanks

bergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:55 PM   #2

Probably not much difference. How will you use it? Long distance travel, local campgrounds? Are you good at fixing stuff or do you need good dealer revive after the sale? I bought Forest River because the dealer had the best reputation of all around me. It is essentially my first rig. If I ever get to buy again, I have narrowed it to Georgetown 5 or whatever the equivalent would be, Tiffin, or one other brand with a reputable dealer far away, but within reach.

AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:11 PM   #3

Won't comment on the actual RV unit since I have only owned a Gulfstream, Allegro and a Shasta.
But some basic stuff for buying a used RV.

Check the plumbing first!, Have the owner put water in the tank, turn on the pump and run the faucet, when you have a good stream, turn the faucet off and the pump off.
The pump should stop. Walk around, look around for about 5 minutes or so, then turn the pump back on. If you hear it cycle, you have a plumbing leak and RUN away!
If it has a genny that should run at least once AC, turn it on, and start one of the AC's and see if it cools.
Without knowing the exact unit, that is my .02.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:48 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. We will be traveling the country with our grandkids in the summer. I can fix minor details as I have own a houseboat. I have read about the many problems people are having with there.
Thanks for the tips to look for, before buying.
bergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb5900 View Post
Won't comment on the actual RV unit since I have only owned a Gulfstream, Allegro and a Shasta.
But some basic stuff for buying a used RV.

Check the plumbing first!, Have the owner put water in the tank, turn on the pump and run the faucet, when you have a good stream, turn the faucet off and the pump off.
The pump should stop. Walk around, look around for about 5 minutes or so, then turn the pump back on. If you hear it cycle, you have a plumbing leak and RUN away!
If it has a genny that should run at least once AC, turn it on, and start one of the AC's and see if it cools.
Without knowing the exact unit, that is my .02.
Don't expect the seller to disclose many, if any, faults. Check all floor surfaces square ft by square foot for squeaks and soft spots, check the ceilings (including inside cupboards) for water mark stains. Check around all of the windows for water intrusion. Run the slides in and out several times. With the slides out, check for water intrusion on the floor around the slides. Retracting awnings covering the slides are a plus.

Don't be afraid to check for excessive rust under the unit. You will find that some of the structural materials have never been painted, rust proofed, or undercoated.

If you are satisfied with the coach, take it for a test drive.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time