Old 08-04-2016, 11:52 AM   #11

I went to the Remco site and it says that the 2002 Tacoma with RWD and a 5 speed I was looking at can be towed with no restrictions. I bought the truck and to my surprise the owners manual says not to flat tow it at all. And of course now I am getting all sorts of conflicting advice. My bad for not checking more carefully I guess.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:30 AM   #12

Your best accurate reference is Motor Homes Dingy Guide, available on line. Pick the year your vehicle and all details are provided assuming it is towable all four down. No guess, no hiccups.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoCharly View Post
I went to the Remco site and it says that the 2002 Tacoma with RWD and a 5 speed I was looking at can be towed with no restrictions. I bought the truck and to my surprise the owners manual says not to flat tow it at all. And of course now I am getting all sorts of conflicting advice. My bad for not checking more carefully I guess.

I checked the FMCA toad guid and the Tacoma is not listed. I believe the only way you can flat tow that truck is with a driveshaft disconnect or just remove the driveshaft every time you tow.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Are you sure the Owner's Manual wasn't referring to an automatic transmission equipped vehicle? I've never known of a vehicle with a manual transmission that could not be towed by just putting it in neutral. I'll certainly admit I don't know anything about a lot of vehicles, so I don't say it isn't possible. I just suggest a second look at the manual.
RamblerGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:58 PM   #15

Tacoma flat towing update

I sent Remco an email asking about the 2002 Tacoma being listed on their site as towable but sites like the FMCA and Motorhome Dinghy Guide don't list it as such. I got an email back assuring me that it was fine to flat tow it and was also given a phone number to the guy that makes drive line disconnects for Remco and he assured me I would have no problems and he told me that they don't make a disconnect for that year because they do consider it towable. So I am confident that towing my Tacoma will be OK. I think Remco would not have given me a definitive answer unless they believed what they were saying. They do have a reputation to live up to. I went back and looked at the Motorhome Dinghy Guide and there is this disclaimer:
"Because of past confusion, it’s important to note there are many towable
vehicles that may not appear on this list. The reasons are many; some
manufacturers don’t want any liability or warranty problems that may arise
from dinghy towing one of their vehicles, while others have never conducted
research to see if, in fact, their vehicles can be towed, and find it easier just
to say they can’t be. One manufacturer “officially” recommends just one of
its vehicles for towing, but tells its dealer network and all of its customers
that virtually all of its models can be towed."
So I am going to take the plunge and tow it. I'll check back after our first experience and update you all.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:05 PM   #16

Quote:

So I am going to take the plunge and tow it. I'll check back after our first experience and update you all.
It's good to see that you chased this confusing problem to a logical conclusion. I'm sure you'll have no problem flat towing your vehicle.
RamblerGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:17 PM   #17

It towed just fine!

Well we just got back from a 1,100 mile trip to the Grand Canyon and the Tacoma was great. On occasion we hit about 75 MPH but mostly stayed around 65. We did have a Stay-in-play braking system installed which really helped coming down from Flagstaff to Phoenix.
If the AC ducting had worked better it would have been a perfect trip!

Tags
towing, truck