Old 07-25-2016, 01:00 PM   #1

Flat towing an older pick up truck

We are thinking about getting an older ('80s - '90s) pick up to tow. It would give us some utility when we aren't on the road and would be inexpensive to purchase. We have a 2008 Lexington GTS283.
I am thinking about either a Toyota or Nissan. I am assuming a manual transmission is the way to go.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-25-2016, 02:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoCharly View Post
We are thinking about getting an older ('80s - '90s) pick up to tow. It would give us some utility when we aren't on the road and would be inexpensive to purchase. We have a 2008 Lexington GTS283.
I am thinking about either a Toyota or Nissan. I am assuming a manual transmission is the way to go.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
I have a 1999 Toyota Tacoma and I would love to flat tow it, except it is an automatic and I don't want to put the oiler on it to flat tow it. A stick shift Toyota would be ideal. I have 235,000 miles on on my Toyota and the way it runs might go 350,000 or more. Watch for frame rust which is the only bad thing on these trucks. Since you are from California, that might not be a problem. The 2 door works and is the cleapest, but for more room look for the xracab. I heard that the 4 wheel drive can be locked out and it can be flat towed with no problems.
I drove a Nissan back in the 80's and was impressed with it. Never owned one though.
Which ever you pick do a google check to make sure it will flat tow with out having to add any extra equipment other then maybe light hook up and brakes.
Good luck!

Old 07-25-2016, 09:47 PM   #3

You can put a driveshaft disconnect on an automatic transmission equipped rear wheel drive vehicle to tow it. That's what we did on our automatic equipped four wheel drive Pathfinder.

Check it out at this website:

http://www.remcodsc.com/driveShaft.php

I have talked with Bill at:

RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:21 PM   #4

Make sure someone still makes a "baseplate" or bracket for towing the make/model for the vehicle you chose. Blue ox or Roadmaster. They are all vehicle specific.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:26 PM   #5

a 4 wheel drive with a manual transfer case would work. You can put transfer case in neutral to tow.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:29 PM   #6

I forgot to mention that they offer replacement driveshafts for some models with the disconnect already installed. For some, you have to get a local driveshaft shop to install the disconnect. In either case you have to get someone to install the shifter, or do it yourself.

Of course, a manual transmission vehicle is the best option if you can find one that suits you.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:42 PM   #7

a 4 wheel drive with a manual transfer case would work. You can put transfer case in neutral to tow.

---
Be careful with a choice of 4 wheel drive with an automatic.

Our Pathfinder cannot be towed with the 4wd in neutral. In neutral, the transmission will not drive through the transfer case, but the front and rear axles are still connected in 4wd, so damage could occur if it were to be towed this way.

Some 4wd vehicles with an automatic can be towed with the transfer case in neutral.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:56 PM   #8

Thanks for all the good information. One more question though. The max towing weight on my receiver is 5,000 lbs. Can I assume that as long as the curb weight of whatever vehicle I get is below that I will be OK? Is tongue weight an issue? It doesn't seem to me that it should be since the only weight being exerted downwards is the minimal weight of the tow bar.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoCharly View Post
Thanks for all the good information. One more question though. The max towing weight on my receiver is 5,000 lbs. Can I assume that as long as the curb weight of whatever vehicle I get is below that I will be OK? Is tongue weight an issue? It doesn't seem to me that it should be since the only weight being exerted downwards is the minimal weight of the tow bar.
You are correct. The tongue weight when flat towing is very small. Only about half of the tow bar's weight is on the coach's hitch. None of the towed vehicle's weight is on the coach's hitch.

The weight of any cargo in the toad has to be included. I'm not sure but I think the gasoline in the tank is not included in the listed curb weight, so you would have to add that at 6 pounds per gallon of gasoline.

In our case I keep tools including a booster battery in our toad. We also have a hanger bar for extra clothes. We call it the Four Wheel Drive Closet.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:12 PM   #10

I towed a 1983 Isuzu p'up with manual tranny in neutral with no problem for miles and miles.
Marvin

Tags
towing, truck