Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2016, 12:00 PM   #1

Flat towing an older pick up truck

We are thinking about getting an older ('80s - '90s) pick up to tow. It would give us some utility when we aren't on the road and would be inexpensive to purchase. We have a 2008 Lexington GTS283.
I am thinking about either a Toyota or Nissan. I am assuming a manual transmission is the way to go.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-25-2016, 01:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoCharly View Post
We are thinking about getting an older ('80s - '90s) pick up to tow. It would give us some utility when we aren't on the road and would be inexpensive to purchase. We have a 2008 Lexington GTS283.
I am thinking about either a Toyota or Nissan. I am assuming a manual transmission is the way to go.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
I have a 1999 Toyota Tacoma and I would love to flat tow it, except it is an automatic and I don't want to put the oiler on it to flat tow it. A stick shift Toyota would be ideal. I have 235,000 miles on on my Toyota and the way it runs might go 350,000 or more. Watch for frame rust which is the only bad thing on these trucks. Since you are from California, that might not be a problem. The 2 door works and is the cleapest, but for more room look for the xracab. I heard that the 4 wheel drive can be locked out and it can be flat towed with no problems.
I drove a Nissan back in the 80's and was impressed with it. Never owned one though.
Which ever you pick do a google check to make sure it will flat tow with out having to add any extra equipment other then maybe light hook up and brakes.
Good luck!
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:47 PM   #3

You can put a driveshaft disconnect on an automatic transmission equipped rear wheel drive vehicle to tow it. That's what we did on our automatic equipped four wheel drive Pathfinder.

Check it out at this website:

http://www.remcodsc.com/driveShaft.php

I have talked with Bill at:

RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:21 PM   #4

Make sure someone still makes a "baseplate" or bracket for towing the make/model for the vehicle you chose. Blue ox or Roadmaster. They are all vehicle specific.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:26 PM   #5

a 4 wheel drive with a manual transfer case would work. You can put transfer case in neutral to tow.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:29 PM   #6

I forgot to mention that they offer replacement driveshafts for some models with the disconnect already installed. For some, you have to get a local driveshaft shop to install the disconnect. In either case you have to get someone to install the shifter, or do it yourself.

Of course, a manual transmission vehicle is the best option if you can find one that suits you.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:42 PM   #7

a 4 wheel drive with a manual transfer case would work. You can put transfer case in neutral to tow.

---
Be careful with a choice of 4 wheel drive with an automatic.

Our Pathfinder cannot be towed with the 4wd in neutral. In neutral, the transmission will not drive through the transfer case, but the front and rear axles are still connected in 4wd, so damage could occur if it were to be towed this way.

Some 4wd vehicles with an automatic can be towed with the transfer case in neutral.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:56 PM   #8

Thanks for all the good information. One more question though. The max towing weight on my receiver is 5,000 lbs. Can I assume that as long as the curb weight of whatever vehicle I get is below that I will be OK? Is tongue weight an issue? It doesn't seem to me that it should be since the only weight being exerted downwards is the minimal weight of the tow bar.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks for all the good information. One more question though. The max towing weight on my receiver is 5,000 lbs. Can I assume that as long as the curb weight of whatever vehicle I get is below that I will be OK? Is tongue weight an issue? It doesn't seem to me that it should be since the only weight being exerted downwards is the minimal weight of the tow bar.
You are correct. The tongue weight when flat towing is very small. Only about half of the tow bar's weight is on the coach's hitch. None of the towed vehicle's weight is on the coach's hitch.

The weight of any cargo in the toad has to be included. I'm not sure but I think the gasoline in the tank is not included in the listed curb weight, so you would have to add that at 6 pounds per gallon of gasoline.

In our case I keep tools including a booster battery in our toad. We also have a hanger bar for extra clothes. We call it the Four Wheel Drive Closet.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:12 PM   #10

I towed a 1983 Isuzu p'up with manual tranny in neutral with no problem for miles and miles.
Marvin
GA_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:52 AM   #11

I went to the Remco site and it says that the 2002 Tacoma with RWD and a 5 speed I was looking at can be towed with no restrictions. I bought the truck and to my surprise the owners manual says not to flat tow it at all. And of course now I am getting all sorts of conflicting advice. My bad for not checking more carefully I guess.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:30 AM   #12

Your best accurate reference is Motor Homes Dingy Guide, available on line. Pick the year your vehicle and all details are provided assuming it is towable all four down. No guess, no hiccups.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:43 AM   #13

Quote:
I went to the Remco site and it says that the 2002 Tacoma with RWD and a 5 speed I was looking at can be towed with no restrictions. I bought the truck and to my surprise the owners manual says not to flat tow it at all. And of course now I am getting all sorts of conflicting advice. My bad for not checking more carefully I guess.

I checked the FMCA toad guid and the Tacoma is not listed. I believe the only way you can flat tow that truck is with a driveshaft disconnect or just remove the driveshaft every time you tow.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Are you sure the Owner's Manual wasn't referring to an automatic transmission equipped vehicle? I've never known of a vehicle with a manual transmission that could not be towed by just putting it in neutral. I'll certainly admit I don't know anything about a lot of vehicles, so I don't say it isn't possible. I just suggest a second look at the manual.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:58 PM   #15

Tacoma flat towing update

I sent Remco an email asking about the 2002 Tacoma being listed on their site as towable but sites like the FMCA and Motorhome Dinghy Guide don't list it as such. I got an email back assuring me that it was fine to flat tow it and was also given a phone number to the guy that makes drive line disconnects for Remco and he assured me I would have no problems and he told me that they don't make a disconnect for that year because they do consider it towable. So I am confident that towing my Tacoma will be OK. I think Remco would not have given me a definitive answer unless they believed what they were saying. They do have a reputation to live up to. I went back and looked at the Motorhome Dinghy Guide and there is this disclaimer:
"Because of past confusion, it’s important to note there are many towable
vehicles that may not appear on this list. The reasons are many; some
manufacturers don’t want any liability or warranty problems that may arise
from dinghy towing one of their vehicles, while others have never conducted
research to see if, in fact, their vehicles can be towed, and find it easier just
to say they can’t be. One manufacturer “officially” recommends just one of
its vehicles for towing, but tells its dealer network and all of its customers
that virtually all of its models can be towed."
So I am going to take the plunge and tow it. I'll check back after our first experience and update you all.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:05 PM   #16

Quote:

So I am going to take the plunge and tow it. I'll check back after our first experience and update you all.
It's good to see that you chased this confusing problem to a logical conclusion. I'm sure you'll have no problem flat towing your vehicle.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:17 PM   #17

It towed just fine!

Well we just got back from a 1,100 mile trip to the Grand Canyon and the Tacoma was great. On occasion we hit about 75 MPH but mostly stayed around 65. We did have a Stay-in-play braking system installed which really helped coming down from Flagstaff to Phoenix.
If the AC ducting had worked better it would have been a perfect trip!

Tags
towing, truck