Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2017, 10:36 AM   #1

Flat Towing with Motorhome

This is a new adventure for m husband and I. We currently own a Toyota RAV4 and a Prius. We have been told by the dealership that neither of them can be flat towed but we have seen the Prius being flat towed before. Putting this out to see what everyone is towing and what their experience has been. Would like some input from our fellow RVers out there. Thank you ahead of time.
cpayne284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:02 AM   #2
Site Team

Whether or not you can flat tow varies both by the Model Year and the options you have installed. Some vehicles that are not flat towable from the manufacture can be modified to be flat towed. But you may lose part of your OEM drive train warranty by making those after market modifications.

Our 2016 Ford Edge Titanium 3.5L V-6 is set up to be flat towed. If we had bought it with a EcoBoost motor, instead of the "plain" V-6, it would not be towable...engine and transmission options can change everything.

I'd call Toyota customer service, give them your VIN, and see what they have to say...
Old 09-28-2017, 12:06 PM   #3

Thank you!! I will have to do that!!
cpayne284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:35 PM   #4

Check your owners manuals. It should be covered in there.
HATCHET19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
Whether or not you can flat tow varies both by the Model Year and the options you have installed. Some vehicles that are not flat towable from the manufacture can be modified to be flat towed. But you may lose part of your OEM drive train warranty by making those after market modifications.

Our 2016 Ford Edge Titanium 3.5L V-6 is set up to be flat towed. If we had bought it with a EcoBoost motor, instead of the "plain" V-6, it would not be towable...engine and transmission options can change everything.

I'd call Toyota customer service, give them your VIN, and see what they have to say...

Have a 2010 Prius. Per manual it can not be towed on 4 wheels behind a motorhome. Have only seen it towed with front wheels on a tow trailer.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:14 PM   #6

Here is a guide to what is towable./ Dinghy Guide
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...1cg5VXVg60xqv4
Old 01-27-2018, 05:22 PM   #7

We tow a 2015 Prius on a Stehl dolly. Manual says not to tow four down under any condition. Dollies well. Only issue is that it is so low in the front, we have to put a couple 2x6 under the ramps to cut down on the angle.
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:58 AM   #8

That's why Jeeps are the number one TOAD vehicle.

Easy to tow... just remember there is a sequence to get it in that mode, you can't just stick it in neutral.

Mark
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne284 View Post
This is a new adventure for m husband and I. We currently own a Toyota RAV4 and a Prius. We have been told by the dealership that neither of them can be flat towed but we have seen the Prius being flat towed before. Putting this out to see what everyone is towing and what their experience has been. Would like some input from our fellow RVers out there. Thank you ahead of time.

FMCA publishes a guide to cars that can be flat towed every year. In the guide it also explains steps you need to take to get the vehicle ready to tow every time you hook it up. Unfortunately the list of cars that you can flat tow becomes shorter every year because of transmission changes.
Edrps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:47 AM   #10

Flat Towing with Motorhome

2018 Hyundai Elantra sport. Under 3000lbs, under 20k new.

Blue ox setup with stay and play braking system.

Hook up, put in neutral, emergency brake off, flip on braking system, go.

Hardly know it is there even behind our Forester.

Fun to drive, 4 door so can take camping friends around as well, great gas mileage.

Had a 2012 Liberty that was an option but saved the weight and gas mileage plus have long warranty now as well.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:44 AM   #11

I'll also add this: ANY vehicle is capable of being towed 4 wheels down, IF, there is modifications to it to allow it to. So, it's easy to say "I saw...", but the reality is that we don't KNOW what modifications were made to it, if any. It's easy to think that certain vehicles 'must be towable since I saw one being towed'... but what's been done to it to make that happen is a mystery unless you've stopped the owner and inquired.

Honda CRVs are a perfect example of this: up til just recently, they were undoubtedly one of the most common toads, but new models no longer can be towed 4-down... Honda changed the transmissions.

Jeeps may seem to be a contender for the top spot in 4-down towing, but really ANY 4wd vehicle can probably as easily be towed...Jeep seems to be more of a status symbol than others, though, unless you catch sight of a Hummer or Cadillac...they're out there, too!

Our Ford Fiesta and Ford Focus are prime examples of very economical, great fuel mileage, and quick and easy towing...just put the automatic fwd trans in Neutral and tow! 4 doors, also. Ours has been towed for 80,000+ miles. (I'm also a former Jeep JK 4dr owner, a Jeep Cherokee Latitude owner, and have also tow dollied)

enjoy : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:49 AM   #12

also, since dealers don't typically sell tow vehicles, I wouldn't rely on their 'knowledge' about what is towable, and what's not, or what's 'best' to tow... so much about a tow vehicle is about your personal needs and requirements, not about what 'everybody else' is using.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:13 AM   #13
Citrus County, Fl.

When we bought our Corolla the sales lady who has worked at the same dealership for 15 years told me it couldn't be towed 4 down. I had her produce an owners manual and showed her the 6 speed manual can most certainly be towed. Only requirement is to run the engine at least 3 minutes before driving. No other special procedures except vehicles on accessories to unlock the steering, neutral and brake off.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:34 PM   #14

The list of vehicles that have no restrictions for towing is pretty short. However, there is an aftermarket company that offers modifications for many vehicles to make them towable. Check out REMCO. They've been in business for many years, and have many solutions available. I have no affiliation with anyone.

Store : Remco
https://www.2manytoyz.com/
2manytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, towing