Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2019, 12:28 PM   #1

Foam Cannon, is it really a timesaver?

I really, really, really wanted using a foam cannon to work FASTER than washing by hand, but it's just not working out.

Before you hit Reply & start telling me what I've done wrong, here's the background:

I had a no-brand cannon & used it with Meguiars. This just didn't do anything to remove any dirt, just used up a lot of soap. The entire Internet yelled at me & insisted that I upgrade my pressure washer, get a Chemical Guys foamer, and buy Chemical Guys car wash.

I did as I was told (new gasoline powered pressure washer, Chemical Guys foamer & CG soap).

I rinse one side. I then foam it & let that sit for 5 minutes. I rinse that & re-foam it, letting it sit for 5 minutes. I then use a car wash brush to wash the side with a clean bucket of rinse water with a grit guard.

The result is a clean MH, but it uses tons of soap, it's a lot of hassle, and takes about 50% longer than just washing it with the two bucket method.

Is a foam cannon really just for car wash hobbyists that are worried about getting microscratches in their paint?
mbutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:27 PM   #2

I used mine Friday. I agree if I spray and rinse I can’t see the difference. So I used pressure washer to get rid of as much as possible. I then wash with brush and bucket. Then I used foaming wash and wax. I. Still miss spots
Old 07-06-2019, 08:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbutts View Post
...The result is a clean MH, but it uses tons of soap, it's a lot of hassle, and takes about 50% longer than just washing it with the two bucket method.
Personal opinion...I think you're doing it correctly.

You could save a little time by reducing the 5 minute dwell time, especially if the RV is relatively clean. And if the RV is even cleaner, you could eliminate the first rinse/soap/dwell. But likely, a lot of the time is the 2-bucket brush...and that step is very likely doing the majority of the cleaning. Mechanical agitation is necessary for all but a minimally dirty RV. Ceramic coating would help, but is costly.

As an alternative, a minimally dirty RV can be cleaned with waterless or rinseless products. Just make sure to change out the media often to prevent dragging dirt across the paint.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:43 PM   #4

I’ve washed my 42’ trailer twice now.
1st time with pressure washer, microfiber towel, bucket of soapy water, and a ladder. Took about 4 hours and it ended up covered with water spots.
2nd time with pressure washer, attachable foam cannon, washing brush on a pole, and I added vinegar to the soap reservoir on the washer to help with water spots. Done in less than an hour with a lot less fuss. Not water spot free but pretty close.
I DID use a little more soap but I’m NEVER going back to the other way.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:58 PM   #5

So the type of foam cannon really doesn't make much difference. I have a $16 one and changed out the orifice and it works a lot better. there are so many videos on you tube about it. one I watched the guy made a filter system and used it on his Corvette, it came out spotless. wash it with someone like your kids and you shouldn't get any spots.
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:52 PM   #6
Retired Old Fart

I use Mr Pink soap from Chemical Guys in my no brand foam cannon. Works great. I don't see where it uses more than if I did the bucket and brush method. I did change out my orifice on the canon to a slightly smaller one for more foam. I can get a decent amount of foam on the Ryobi electric pressure washer and don't have to drag out the big 3,500 psi gas one for car & RV washes now.

https://youtu.be/N8tV2RHeWoo
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:41 AM   #7

I have an old car wash mop. I use soap in a bucket with the mop and do the entire side. I wash the baggage doors with a hand mitt. Then I rinse the whole side down and dry it. Then do the same on the other side and the front and rear! Works good, takes time but there is no washing a MH fast! If you want it to look good you need to spend some time. I think I know what a foam cannon is and it’s just a gimmick that they sell to make you feel like it’s working. You will always need to physically touch the MH to get it clean!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:12 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies!
I kind of expected the feedback I'm getting here. The foamer looks cool on Youtube, but just doesn't clean a really dirty MH.
I'll try a hybrid approach next time with a quick rinse, use the pressure washer to apply the soap via the foam cannon, then use the car wash brush (or mitt in the nooks & crannies).
mbutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
I think I know what a foam cannon is and it’s just a gimmick that they sell to make you feel like it’s working. You will always need to physically touch the MH to get it clean!
I have one and it just puts the soap on your car, just like if you use a bucket. You are right about the physical part, you do need to use some kind of item to work the soap. I think it uses less soap and you get it all over the side faster.
to each their own...
Old 07-09-2019, 08:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philkaty View Post
I have one and it just puts the soap on your car, just like if you use a bucket. You are right about the physical part, you do need to use some kind of item to work the soap. I think it uses less soap and you get it all over the side faster.
to each their own...
Exactly, I use one to foam the car/RV,boat down and then I wash it with a cloth, I never heard of a foam cannon washing it for you.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd50i View Post
Exactly, I use one to foam the car/RV,boat down and then I wash it with a cloth, I never heard of a foam cannon washing it for you.
yep!!! it might get some dirt off but most of it will still be there.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philkaty View Post
yep!!! it might get some dirt off but most of it will still be there.
Yep, just like the touchless carwahes. I don’t use those either! Used it once and after the car dried it was still dirty.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:02 AM   #13
Broken Toe

Foam cannons don't actually clean. They only put on the soap in a very efficient way. It stays put on vertical sides better, and gives you time to hit it with rag or brush.

I can foam up half the side of my camper grab my brush (actually a soft push broom that is only used for scrubbing the camper) and brush down the whole area before the soap has dried or run off. Doing it by the bucket method, I would have to do a side in 5 or so sections, stopping to rinse and apply soap over and over. I use a cheap, no-name cannon and a decent electric pressure washer. I use turtle-wax car shampoo in it, with just a bit of purple de-greaser if its really manky.

Where it really works for me is on my side-by-side. When I get it muddy, I hit it with the foam cannon. The suds just sit there and soften the mud considerably. Usually, 2 passes with the cannon and then just straight water out of the pressure washer makes short work of it.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote