Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #1

Ford Recall

Several months ago, we received a recall concerning the gear shift and something about the lights indicating what gear it is in not working properly in the MH. It didn't sound serious but we wanted to get it fixed. We found a Ford dealer that said they'd do it and would order the part. We were to call when we were going to bring it in. When we called to set up the appt we were told they could not fix it because they didn't have a bay high enough and to call place B.

We did, they don't. Place C doesn't either! We can't find anywhere that will do the work. Most say they don't work motorhomes. DH worked at a CAT dealer and said their guys hated to work on them because they had to protect the carpet & upholstery from grease & dirt and it was a PITA.

We were told the steering column has to be removed so it isn't a quick easy fix. At this point we don't know who or where we can get it fixed.

We're close to Louisville, KY and we've checked the places that work on big trucks and none we've found will do the work. We hate to drive it much farther and have to leave it somewhere overnight then go back to get it. We could maybe get it done somewhere on a camping trip IF we get the logistics worked out but would want to stay with it.

At this point we've sort of put it on the back burner but would still like to get the work done. Does anyone have any ideas?

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'd give ford motor company a call and start rattling some cages!
In your instance a recall should be fixed immediately mh or not!
It would be different if it wasn t warranty but it's a recall!

I'd be getting pissy if It were mine .

Just my 2 mostly copper pennies.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #3

How close are you to Fords Kentucky Truck plant ?? Try and contact someone there if you are nearby..not sure if thats going to help..but they can maybe help point you in the right direction ??
Old 11-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #4

[QUOTE=KarenS144;277346]Several months ago, we received a recall concerning the gear shift and something about the lights indicating what gear it is in not working properly in the MH. It didn't sound serious but we wanted to get it fixed. We found a Ford dealer that said they'd do it and would order the part. We were to call when we were going to bring it in. When we called to set up the appt we were told they could not fix it because they didn't have a bay high enough and to call place B.

We did, they don't. Place C doesn't either! We can't find anywhere that will do the work. Most say they don't work motorhomes. DH worked at a CAT dealer and said their guys hated to work on them because they had to protect the carpet & upholstery from grease & dirt and it was a PITA.

We were told the steering column has to be removed so it isn't a quick easy fix. At this point we don't know who or where we can get it fixed.

We're close to Louisville, KY and we've checked the places that work on big trucks and none we've found will do the work. We hate to drive it much farther and have to leave it somewhere overnight then go back to get it. We could maybe get it done somewhere on a camping trip IF we get the logistics worked out but would want to stay with it.

At this point we've sort of put it on the back burner but would still like to get the work done. Does anyone have any ideas? [/QUOTE

Here's the good news, mine was done by Ford dealership in the parking lot in about 1-2 hours. The steering column isn't removed, just the cover just below the steering wheel. They installed some sort or wire guide and then reassembled. It just prevents the indicator wire from the ship lever from rubbing and fraying on a sharp edged bracked. Tell them to read the correct recall notice, no big deal. Mine is F-53 under a Georgetown. What I saw, may be awhile to failure. Not like a cab shifting every few minutes.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Here's the good news, mine was done by Ford dealership in the parking lot in about 1-2 hours. The steering column isn't removed, just the cover just below the steering wheel. They installed some sort or wire guide and then reassembled. It just prevents the indicator wire from the ship lever from rubbing and fraying on a sharp edged bracked. Tell them to read the correct recall notice, no big deal. Mine is F-53 under a Georgetown. What I saw, may be awhile to failure. Not like a cab shifting every few minutes.
Thanks VinceU! We'll try again.

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:26 PM   #6
Oklahoma Proud

Try a dealer that has a commercial fleet department, they usualy work on medium duty trucks too. The ford business/ comercial web site, dealer locator should help find one.
And like VinceU said steering colums are really not as difficult as people think. You can do a lot to one in a couple hours.
Good luck on your quest!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote