Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2015, 06:55 PM   #1

FR Class C owners....you won't believe this one!

I'm putting a CB in my Forester and decided that I'm going to mount it to the ceiling in the cab just behind the dome light. I took the plastic trim off on the front of the cab cutout to see what structure was there to attach the radio bracket to.

Imagine my surprise when I took the plastic trim off and saw this.....

It looks like a pack of drunken monkeys with a hack saw and a hammer were here. And really Forest River...secure the cab roof sheetmetal to the aluminum cross bar with drywall screws???????? I didn't take any photos as it was too scary, but the area hidden by the plastic trim on the sides of the cab cutout are even worse.

I made a metal plate to fit between the sheet metal and the headliner to attach the CB bracket to, then I'm going to use some pan head sheet metal screws and replace the drywall screws. If you've got 5 minutes to spare when you've got a phillips screwdriver in hand, unscrew the velcro dots - they are all that hold the plastic trim in place - and see what your's looks like. Or maybe you don't want to know......

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:06 PM   #2

I guess if it's covered no one will know!! Wow
Old 10-17-2015, 06:28 AM   #3

Nothing new. It just shows Forrest Rivers commitment to use the finest materials, outstanding workmanship, and great quality control in the building and manufacturing of their rv's.
Grumpy :
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:53 AM   #4
Senior Junior Member

I suspect you will see similar things in most retrofit type work that gets covered up. I suppose the Cab & Chassis must be modified to accept the coach and there may be no clean way to do it. The drywall screws may be the attachment of choice for many other things and what was handy. Oh well.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:20 PM   #5

The drywall screws have all been replaced with the correct sheet metal screws. At least the heads sit flat now.

Skip & Deb
Old 10-24-2015, 08:26 PM   #6

will you bring this to the attention of someone at FR? will be interesting....... I plan to have a look under the trim tomorrow

Wonder if the pack of drunken monkeys at FR only work in that dept or they shift them around to work in other areas of the plant?

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsMan View Post
will you bring this to the attention of someone at FR? will be interesting....... I plan to have a look under the trim tomorrow

Wonder if the pack of drunken monkeys at FR only work in that dept or they shift them around to work in other areas of the plant?
I'm sure they know about it. I understand that the van cab needs to be cut to fit the coach, but at least cut an even line and use the proper fasteners. You really want a thrill? Pull the two side pieces of trim off around the bunk cutout and take a peek!

Skip & Deb

Tags
class c