Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2016, 09:59 PM   #1

FR3 30DS RV Refrigerator Question

Hello again;

We have the paperwork in and the deposit for our 2016 FR3, is coming Mid-April, and can't wait! I was just reading an article in the MOTORHOME magazine about Residential Vs RV Refrigerator, and I'm a little scared. Can someone enlighten me in the matter? Is it really difficult to run the Refrigerator? Does one really have to run the LP gas when one is driving? Is there any issues I need to know about? Comments? Ideas? Suggestions? I'm just starting, and I want to make sure I start good. I know I'm going to have many trials along the way, but is always good to have you guys around who have been there already. Thanks

Nelly
DaRealDeal77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:30 PM   #2

Residential fridges are become norm in larger Class A's.

As far as a Gas/electric RV fridge, it is normal to be able to run on both, easier to travel with a propane one, and yes you can drive with them operating.

Some suggest turning off when fueling (if the back of fridge vent is near your gas tank).

I have owned two RV's, last 4 years, with propane fridges and have not had any issues. You do need not have the propane fridge run for long periods (out of level), can shorten the life of the fridge, because of how the gas circulates or something technical.

Propane fridges take a little longer to initially cool, down, but once cool down do well. We have down couple week trips with fridge on propane and it does not use that much, did not empty tank or get close.

So if you plan to boon-dock (camp without hookups) or be on the move a lot, the propane fridge is a plus. vs. residential that needs either generator or plugged in to run off electric.

Majority of RV's have the propane/electric fridges, no worries.

Markiemark
Markiemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:20 PM   #3

Thank you so much!
DaRealDeal77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:23 PM   #4

Our Berk has the gas/elec frig and we've been loo% satisfied with it......

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:55 PM   #5

FR3 30DS RV Refrigerator Question

Markiekark, unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying, I would like to add that our residential fridge does not need to be hooked up to shore power or the generator running. The alternator on the motorhome engine produces 12 volts that is inverted to 120 volts. So it runs when the engine is running.
I don't know if all residential systems are the same but I believe they are.

Tags
refrigerator