Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2018, 08:40 AM   #1

General Road/Cabin Noise

So I just completed a 4800 mile trip in our Georgetown 351. The trip actually went really well with no issues that I can cite -- sometimes you get lucky.

During the trip, one of the things that really bothered me was the general road noise that occurred inside the cabin, especially up front. When on certain really good roads, things seemed dramatically quieter, but still, the ambient noise -- like a "pressure" noise (i kept thinking of the noise in an airplane) was still there.

After several hours of this, coupled with the other rattles and such that occur on the majority of the roads, it really gets annoying. The engine noise really was never a factor, i can live with the revving when climbing a high mountain pass as that noise is pretty transient.

So, i got to wondering, is it just the "quality" level of this RV that is the "issue"? I seriously am considering going up to a pusher - not just because of the road noise, but it is a potentially big reason, and really have to wonder if that would actually make a difference. I do plan on driving and getting whichever unit i look to move to out onto a highway so i can feel how it handles the bumps and bangs of some of the roads.

I know when i had my old F250 diesel and pulled our really large travel trailer, i loved the comfort and quietness of the drive. I know, apples and oranges, but I really would like to get to a little more "ear comfort" in the drive, for whatever reason, we tend to make some long drives and hours and hours of the constant noise get very tiring.

Ultimately, has anyone made a transition from one Class A unit to another and found a significant difference in the overall ambient noise levels on the road?
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:20 PM   #2

We have owned a 32' Mirada, a 34' Georgie Boy, both on a ford Chassis and a DYNAMAX Isata 3 on a Mercedes sprinter chassis. You never really get used to the rattles and noise from the items inside your cabinets and there is always something that makes a squeak, rattle or hum. Road noise on the two Ford Chassis, with the V10 was pretty much there all of the time along with the engine noise. The sprinter Chassis was much quieter but you still get the cabinet noise and the occasional wind noise from the front cap and/or side entry door.

Now we have a Berkshire 34QS and the ride is much different as well as the noise level while traveling. We still get the noise from the cabinets and noise from the beer cans rattling around in the fridge, but we now keep the cans in holders so they aren't flying around the fridge. BUT! Most of the rattling is because of the major winter damage to the highways we have travelled. All in all, yes you will experience a much quieter ride on a diesel pusher on a freightliner (only one I can speak of) Chassis for example vs. a Ford Chassis.
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:57 AM   #3

Get some Bose noise canceling headphones. Really comfortable and a lot cheaper than a new coach!
Old 06-09-2018, 06:24 AM   #4

Good idea. [emoji106]
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:34 PM   #5

We’ve only had the diesel. But I know from my 6years of driving school bus all diesels the transits were so much easier to hear the kids and then the nosed buses. We love our Berkshire.
omahagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:33 AM   #6

Thanks all.... I do expect that I will hear some of the contents rattling around, but what I was referrering to was just the various cabinets, overall frame, windows, etc seeming to rattle. Bumps on the road are like big booms.

From what I'm hearing/reading, I think my assumption is correct -- that the ride inside the pusher will be somewhat queiter and more comfortable.

In the end, i didn't want to just go out and test drive one unless I was serious about it -- don't want to waste some poor salesman's time. But, think it is now on the table (although the Bose would be a lot cheaper!). We want to get out and put some miles down -- wife and I are both currently able to work remotely so want to take full advantage.
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise