Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2015, 08:06 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
Getting the MH ready for a test trip

On April 30th we purchased a Lexington 255DS.
[grump mode on]
On May 7th 5/3 Bank finally provided me with a lean release (how they stay in business I don't know).
[grump mode off]

So now I have a title and Michigan plates and can move the MH.
Last night I went to Costco and ordered 6 new tires ($1280 installed) Michelin - LTX® A/T2 and they will be installed on Thursday. They will also install the filler extender for the inside tire (so long as I provide it).

I will have it in to a Ford dealer over the weekend for engine fluids, trans flush and belts.

Then on to a shower stall repair and a few small mods...

Targeting a June 5th test trip!!!
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:35 AM   #2

FYI: I'd suggest that you check the freshwater fill hose. As a former owner of a 2006 Lexington (which we loved but we moved up to a Berkshire) I encountered a major problem with the freshwater hose under the bed of mine. The way it's installed allowed the hose to rub against the wooden frame of the bed resulting in a hole which resulted in a massive amount of water all over the bedroom. I enlarged the hole in the wooden frame that the hose went through and replaced the filler hose - problem solved. Also - check the water connections while you're under the bed. Mine were loose and were leaking.... Just wanted to give you a heads-up...

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
FYI: I'd suggest that you check the freshwater fill hose. ... I encountered a major problem with the freshwater hose under the bed of mine.
Ernest,

Loose connectors and rubbing exactly as you said. You saved me a major issue 2-3 years from now.

Thank you,

Bill
Old 05-11-2015, 05:35 PM   #4

Congrats on the motorhome! We have a 283GTS and love it. Happy trails!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:34 PM   #5

We will be doing our first trial run a Camp Dearborn on 5/29-31. We live in Brighton. Good luck with the new coach. I've spent some time going through repairing items the factory caused and previous owners could not fix. Still have a long list but it's getting shorter every week.

Tim, 2000 Gulfstream Conquest, 32'
An unknown person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:08 AM   #6

Tim,

Looks like you have done some major work on the Gulfstream! Good luck with the test trip.

-Bill
Old 05-30-2015, 07:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by An unknown person View Post
We will be doing our first trial run a Camp Dearborn on 5/29-31.
Hello Unknown,

I hope your trip is going well.

My shakedown trip was last weekend. All went well!
Minors:
Kitchen faucet leaked - found a nice replacement at Home Depot
I used 2x10 blocks for leveling the MH crushed them (buying blocks)

Majors:
The wife got a shower after the rebuild and all went well
We had a good time with friends
The dog (Wrangell) did well
Old 06-01-2015, 08:27 PM   #8

Where do I start?

Decent spot. One 2x under each front wheel was all I needed to level on the black top pad. Power was just long enough to reach. Water was no problem, even threw a 10" pre-filter in line (neighbor said camp Dearborn has some sandy water). Now onto the one thing I haven't been able to play with in the driveway. While every other site had a threaded sewer cap, my site had a traffic cone covering a 4" sewer pipe that was cut flush to the ground. I was able to put together 2 hoses to make the run. And when I went to connect the end to the coach I was met with a surprise. I don't know if the valves leak/weep or if the valve was open and closed, is this common? Was able to steal the bin for dog toys to put under the sewer pipe and cover the cap with a bag to remove it. That contained the septage. Was able to clean up and get the sewer line connected. Also thought far enough to lay a few logs over the other end to keep it from coming out of the drain. No other issues with hook up.

Saturday went OK. Then the rain started. We were able to all hang out and play go-fish for several hours. Did forget bath towels. We actually forgot a lot of stuff. But was able to make it through the weekend putting together lists of what we needed.

Sunday departure in the rain. Drained and flushed the tanks, cleaned out the hoses and got the water disconnected. Went inside to check the tank levels. Realize how much humidity is on the windshield and figure I should start the motor and get the defroster going. While I'm in the drivers seat I may as well pull forward off the blocks so I can put them away too. Realize as I check the mirrors that I had not yet unplugged the power. Oops. Thankfully no damage to power cord or pole. Got home, cleaned out and reset for the next trip.

Picked up a few items today to cross off the list and opened the awning at storage to let it dry out a bit.

Tim, 2000 Gulfstream Conquest, 32'
An unknown person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:00 PM   #9

Tim, Sounds like given the weather all went well! When I had a trailer I always did a "clear air" check between my TV and the trailer: Get out, do the walk around and check for clear air between the trailer and TV (no chains, electrical etc). It's going to take some adjustment to the MH where I know when it's OK to park and OK to move. Glad only a cord was unplugged!