Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2016, 09:15 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsherman View Post
I was very happy with my extended service contract when, at around 57,000 miles, the emergency brake on my Georgetown fell apart internally and Ford stated that it wasn't covered by their 60k drive train warranty. I was surprised that a component located at the rear of the transmission with the driveshaft coming out of it wasn't part of the drive train.

I could understand it not being covered if the brake pads wore out or the drum they press against was burned by driving with the emergency brake on but the entire unit disassembled itself inside the sealed case. The dealer who repaired it said that either a bearing failed or the large nut that holds the entire unit together inside the case just fell off, obviously a manufacturing problem. It was impossible to tell from the broken parts which happened first. I just figured that Ford took advantage of a wear exception in their warranty to avoid paying for the $2400 repair.

This was much better than what happened with the same company a couple of years earlier when the rear support bracket for the microwave failed. In this case, they refused to pay for the repair but told me that if FR hadn't done such a good job of attaching the front of the unit to the cabinet and the microwave had completely fallen out and broken, they would have paid for a replacement!

I also ran into a repair where the company allowed an hour for the repair when the dealer took an hour to figure out what was wrong and three hours to fix it. The dealer said that the repair would take only an hour on an F350 truck where you could easily get to the parts but on an RV, it took a lot longer to do the repair because the parts were so hard to get to.
As ldale says, read your contract very very carefully. I'll add, don't be surprised if a repair isn't covered where a replacement of the broken item would be covered.

Phil
Just had the same on my F150, Ford claimed that the electronic Throttle assembly wasnt part of the Powertarin so not covered by the warranty. If a throttle is not part of Powertrain what is? Also it took nearly three weeks to get the assembly to add insult to injury.
bruane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:18 PM   #22

Thanks for all the great information!

Prior Campers
1996 Coleman Sun Valley (1995 - 2002)
2017 Forester 3011 DS (2016 - Present)
SharpPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:12 AM   #23

I have Good Sam and it has payed for a good chunk of what I spent when my Brother in law plugged me into 220 at his garage
Ouch toasted a lot of stuff
But the $1000 deductible really screws you for smaller problems (smaller around $1000 is not small)
For instance my Backup Cam is being fixed right now and they are still trouble shooting
If they have to run a new cable it's going to be over a grand
A new wireless system is $800
Righter way I'm paying out of pocket for this one and my Good Sam is sitting in the drawer smiling patiently and waiting for the big stuff
It's a crap shoot but my repair guy calls our units Boomerangs cause every year they come back after he throws us out to camp
In hind sight?
When I bought it I would have earmarked $5000 in the money market fund (and added to it) for repairs and hope it's money in the back

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:01 PM   #24

You have $1,000 deductible??? Yeow! I never heard of one that high. Most are much lower. At that price, it's even less worth having unless of course the policy cost is very, very low.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:17 PM   #25

My policy at WW was $3400 for 7 yrs paid out in 6 pymts including tire replacement if I have a blowout on the road. Just had my A/C replaced, $100 deductible.GS quoted a price of $ 5500. I still put money in the bank every month that I call my maintenance acct. Covers insurance costs, any normal services I need performed and any add on's or tires I may need in the future, but I know I'm covered for the unexpected.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
good sam