Old 07-02-2016, 09:40 AM   #1
Good Sams Extended Warranties

We ordered our first Motor Home yesterday and have to make a decision on extended warranties. Camping World offers Good Sam's Polices.

To say that I am confused is an understatement. I am not sure what I need, what is junk and what is just pure profit for the dealer.

So I am thinking I need:
- Mechanical Breakdown (72 mths - 75,000 miles) $3795
- Tire Protection (84 mths) $915
- GAP (72 mths) $995
- Roadside Assistance (48 mths) $540

Any guidance or suggestions us welcome.

Eastover, SC

Prior Campers
1996 Coleman Sun Valley (1995 - 2002)
2017 Forester 3011 DS (2016 - Present)
SharpPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:35 AM   #2
I would also give Wholesale Warrenties a call. They were cheaper than Good Sam

Imotay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:32 PM   #3

Extended Warranties are a type of insurance so you need to look at what you are comfortable with having...or not having. In our case this is what we bought:

Mechanical Breakdown:

Since we have a Ford E-450 chassis I bought Ford's Premium Extended Service Plan. $100 Deductible, 7 Years / 75,000 miles term. Purchased from my local Ford dealer and good at any Ford dealership in the US and Canada. Cost: ~$3,600. Financed through Ford Credit at 0.0% for 24 months. Note: This only covers the Ford chassis, not the entire motor home.

Tire Protection: No way on that one for me... Tires should be replaced every 5 years or so anyway, regardless of their mileage. On motor homes tires generally "age out", not "wear out". I can buy a new set of Michelin LTX's for around that cost through FMCA. More on FMCA later...

GAP Insurance: GAP is only needed if you are "upside down" financially on your RV. If you owe more than what the unit is valued at, for insurance purposes, in the event of a total loss you should consider GAP. We don't owe more than ours is worth so I don't carry GAP.

Roadside Assistance: You'll have Coach Net for free for the first year. My Ford ESP contract adds Roadside Assistance as well... Once again ESP only covers the Ford chassis, not "house" issues.

Also consider joining the Family Motor Coach Association (FMCA) as you can get some really good coverage options through them at excellent prices. Their FMCAssist Medical Emergency and Travel Assistance Program is included with your annual dues of $40 a year. The equivalent Good Sams policy was around $150 a year just for it...

Check around! And remember the devil is in the detail so make sure you are comparing "apples to apples" as coverage, and sneaky exemptions, do vary widely!
2017 Sunseeker GTS 2800 QSF
TOAD: 2016 Ford Edge Titanium FWD

RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:58 PM   #4
You have over $6000 in "extended" warranty!!!
Take the same money, put it in the bank for the same amount of time, and draw off what you need for a repair.
Unless you blow out all your appliances, and all your tires, you'll be ahead of the game.
Don't count leaks or delamination as I don't think any "extended" warranty will cover that.
Steve & Cheryl + Charlie & Casey, our furry kids.

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
Camping trips this year so far...8
Days camping...75
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:37 PM   #5
Don't you have a warranty with your new purchase, plus CoachNet? Why do you need to "give" your money to an insurance entity who will not fix an item that is currently under manufacturers warrant? I would wait until your manufacture warranty expires and then consider your needs.

2016 Force HD
2016 Force HD 36
BLK-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:00 PM   #6

We have purchased Protective Platinum with each of our coaches. Peace of mind plus sh-- happens. Add to that I am not a mechanic I feel it is the way to go.
zimmnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:09 PM   #7
Our Progressive accident insurance on our motorhome covers towing. Once a disabled vehicle is towed in, repairs USUALLY cost less than what you're paying for an extended warranty.
ldale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:22 PM   #8

Purchased my Forester a year and a half ago and purchased Wholesale Warranty one year ago. AC went out last month on trip to Keys. Factory warranty one year. I'm sure glad I took WW $2000.00 cheaper than Good Sam including tire blowout, for 7 years. AC $993.00, my out of pocket $100 deductible. Already got almost a third of my money back. I was never a big fan of extended warranties because I always felt if a car gives you no trouble for the first year it's not going to give you any problems as long as you keep it well maintained. A MH on the other hand to me is an unknown quantity. Make your own decision but I believe the longer you wait and the older the vehicle gets, the more expensive the policy
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:29 PM   #9
You may want to check out coach-net for the extended warranty which includes road side. I shopped around with several companies to include good sam. Take your time and read the contracts.
2016 Georgetown 328ts
2015 Fiat 500 Toad
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:43 PM   #10
Like others have said put the money in the bank and draw on it as needed. I have owned an RV since 1997. I guess I have been lucky, but so far my repairs have not come close to the amount of the cost of extended warranty. The extended warranty companies are in business to make money. But not my money. I will take my chances which are on the rv owner's side.

2015 Flagstaff 26VFKS
TV - 2014 F150 Crew Cab 5.0L
WDH - 1,200 Equalizer
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote

good sam