Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #1

Hot water heater misfiring...HELP

I have a 2300 Sunseeker with a Suburban hot water heater. It has been giving me trouble since I bought the RV new last Fall. It seems to take multiple times to get it to start for heating. About every 3rd time it blows, an actual flame shoots out from it. It almost seems like there is a blockage. I was told it could be cobwebs so I purchased a bottle brush and tried to clear any obstruction. Didn't help. I am currently camping and can't have it seen by my dealer until I get home. Any suggestions of what I can do to try to fix this? And is it dangerous to use? Thanks for any help.
Bensonsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:18 AM   #2

I'm almost 100% positive it is your set of fork fingers that produce the spark for ignition. It seems over time they must move from the heat or traveling down the road. I have fixed several of these and just did another friends a week ago. The spark is too weak to ignite it like it should and it has to fill up with gas before it reaches the weak spark, causing the boom and flames shooting out the side. It's going to be hard to see in the daylight (I looked at night) but if you take your cover off and have someone turn on the water heater you can see the spark. it should be a really strong bright flash, almost has a pop to it. Not a little weak tick.

You should be able to see where the spark is arcing across, what you need to do is close up that gap so it makes a stronger spark. You either need to buy a new fork (not that expensive) or take it out and very very very carefully bend them. They are pretty fragile and will break. If your out camping this is the only option you may have if you can't get them replaced.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply. I dare not try to fix it. Be my luck I'll break it off and never get it to work. The only thing is, when the build up happens and flames shoot out, it doesn't light then either. It seems to light in the next couple of tries making me think it's cleared a pathway with the blowup.

Regardless, thank you for your info. The repairman will probably do what you suggested once he comes to fix it in a couple of weeks.

Happy travels.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #4

That's what my friends was doing, I don't know if it's because the blow up is so intense that it is blowing the flame out when it happens. He used his all last weekend and this weekend and he said its working perfect. There is a possibility it's just dirt but I have yet to see one that cleaning it fixed the problem. Including my own, there have been 8 of us that had to replace the fork in the last year.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotocrossCamper
That's what my friends was doing, I don't know if it's because the blow up is so intense that it is blowing the flame out when it happens. He used his all last weekend and this weekend and he said its working perfect. There is a possibility it's just dirt but I have yet to see one that cleaning it fixed the problem. Including my own, there have been 8 of us that had to replace the fork in the last year.
Motorcroos Camper...just want to thank you for your help. It worked!!! My brother checked it and seemed to correct it. You're the best!!!
Old 07-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #6

Thanks! I'm really glad you got it fixed. It's quite the surprise to have flames shoot out the side of your RV!