Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2016, 06:26 PM   #1

House Generator

I have a 2000 Coachman motor home with a Generator that is acting wierd. It would start but after 5 to 20 minutes it would shot off. Based on the manual direction for the red blinking code light, I replaced the air filter, spark plug, fuel filter and it will start but will not stay running. No change and I still get the same code.

It acted like not getting gas so I disconnected the fuel line and connected the generator directly to a remote outboard Motor gas tank with recreation gas and the generator started and ran perfect for over an hour with a full load until I turned it off.
So I blew air through the gas line from the generator to the coach gas tank and confirmed the line was not plugged because I could hear the air bubbling in the gas tank and gas poured out of the line when I removed the air pump. I quickly attached the gas line to the generator and it started and ran normal at full load for 45 minutes until I shut it off. It easily restarted after 5 minutes. The next time, after a month storage, I had to redo the air into the gas line and coach tank to get the generator started and running.

This weekend it was 98 degrees F so I decided to travel with the generator running but could not keep it running even after trying the air in the gas tank trick.

Has anyone had a similar problem?? I think I either have a weak generator fuel pump or the gas line system from the coach fuel tank to the generator has been compromised from the ethanol in today's gas. I heard ethanol will make some gas lines soft causing them to collapse and / or leak. The generator always runs great when I use the remote village outboard motor gas tank. I don't want to spend $$ trying to fix something that is not the problem.

Thanks,
Rome

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Rome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:27 PM   #2

Replace the fuel pump.
BBQGUY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator