Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2015, 01:59 PM   #1

How do I find someone to install Invisibrake?

I've been using the Brake Buddy Classic on my Berkshire and now my Georgetown motor home but it's kind of a pain to do that every time so I would really like to have the Invisibrake installed but I can't find anyone in the KC area that will install it. I actually went to Roadmasters website and they have a locations button you can click and it gave me 5 places and I called them and they had no idea what I was talking about. Camping World sells them but won't install them which sounds crazy to me. So any ideas from anyone what my next step should be? I could go some distance but it would require some planning ahead. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Marcusfan
Old 08-29-2015, 02:22 PM   #2

Hi MarcusFan,

Call the manufacturer and ask them. I decided on the Ready Brake Elite towbar/braking system and I called NSA in Kansas and asked them about the dealers in my area. They didn't tell me one was better than the other but they did tell me who they did business with recently. I then checked them out on Yelp and other sites.

Good Luck,

Scott
sdgscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:29 PM   #3
7 Year Class A RV'er

I have a buddy that's a mechanic; he installed mine without any problem at all. Great job and a lot less than Camping World wanted to do it. Install is not complicated at all. I would have done it myself in my younger days but two knee replacements limit my crawl around capability! Depending on what vehicle it's going in there may even be a video specific for yours on their website. And as a last resort, CW will install it.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB with 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Toad
Gigi, Poppy and Sadie the Jack Russell (all 14 lbs of her)

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 12:36 AM   #4

Although Camping World sells it online, they told my brother when he called that they don't install them.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:01 AM   #5
7 Year Class A RV'er

marcusfan: May be a local thing. The one here in Orlando gave me a quote of $450 to install it. My mechanic buddy installed the Invisibrake, the base plate and hooked up all the lights (I bought all the parts) for $300 total. Took about 4 hours for my Wrangler.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 12:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusfan View Post
I've been using the Brake Buddy Classic on my Berkshire and now my Georgetown motor home but it's kind of a pain to do that every time so I would really like to have the Invisibrake installed but I can't find anyone in the KC area that will install it. I actually went to Roadmasters website and they have a locations button you can click and it gave me 5 places and I called them and they had no idea what I was talking about. Camping World sells them but won't install them which sounds crazy to me. So any ideas from anyone what my next step should be? I could go some distance but it would require some planning ahead. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Marcusfan
We had Camping World near Springfield, Missouri install Invisibrake in our Ford Focus for $445 two years ago. They put it in the trunk, upside down, but it still works very well.
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 12:34 PM   #7

Invisibrake Installation

I have the Invisibrake system installed on my 2000 Wrangler TJ Sport. I travelled from Vancouver through the Yukon to Dawson City over the "Top of the World highway" to Alaska and back to Vancouver over very difficult road conditions and had no problem at all with the Invisibrake system doing what it was supposed to do. I read many online posts pertaining to installations and decided to do it myself. The installation met with a few obstacles, however they were overcome with a little extra thought. The control unit is installed behind the rear seat in the "trunk". The brake pedal hookup took a little time, but o.k. The vacuum unit is installed behind the driver's seat under the side panel with all the wires running behind the driver's side panel to the front. An additional tail light was installed inside the standard taillight housing and wired separately so as to avoid using diodes etc. I expect to experience many more successful years with this braking unit ( knock on wood ). Good luck with your installation.
JEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:53 PM   #8

Camping World in Akron, Ohio installed my Invisibrake so badly that I ended up going to Roadmaster's Vancouver, Washington facility to have it reinstalled. CW's installation was so bad that I was unable to use the brake pedal because they installed the linkage to it in the one position that would throw my foot off of the brake and onto the gas. The unit never worked properly, with the first failure occurring before I'd towed the toad a mile from the dealer. CW also refused to install the unit using (at my expense) a 6-conductor cable, using instead a 4-conductor cable and running an extra wire to a separate connector on the car.

The factory can do one thing that a dealer can't do. They can make up an actuator cable that's custom fitted to your car. This lets the factory position the actuator cylinder wherever it fits best.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:08 PM   #9

I called the manufacturer and they gave me some more names. I have an appointment scheduled to have the invisibrake installed in 3 weeks. I can't wait to avoid the hassle involved with setting up the brake buddy. Thanks for all the suggestions folks!

Tags
brakes