Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2016, 12:55 PM   #1

How not to fit your A into a gas station

Not sure the make of the A but my son took this picture after this poor guy got his A firmly stuck between two fuel islands. What we can't see is the back drivers side hard against the concrete post and his front had already hit a post and a pump. He couldn't go forward or backwards and was firmly wedged.
My son left after taking the picture and listening to the couple get into a screaming match about getting stuck. He blamed her and she said he shouldn't have tried squeezing in there. Hope all was well in the end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1477072391934.jpg
Views:	857
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	123547  
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-21-2016, 12:59 PM   #2

We drive a Class C, but fear of doing something like this keeps us waiting for an outside pump or an RV island.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2016, 09:14 AM   #3

After having to unhook the toad and take it off the dolly, unhook the dolly and push it off to the side and then connect everything back up again... Less work and faster to just wait in line for the outside pumps 😏
Old 10-22-2016, 09:25 AM   #4

Got driving lessons?

Tow bill.

Damage to station and yacht.

Divorce?
Old 10-22-2016, 09:28 AM   #5

We try to stick with Flying J RV island...
Old 10-22-2016, 09:40 AM   #6

I'm new at pulling a 30-foot trailer, I've had a couple of close calls like this. My little 12-foot OHV trailer is a breeze compared to this. Now, when I drive by fuel stops in the little towns and whatnot, I'm always assessing the parking lot, pump orientation and overhead clearances and stowing that data in the back of my head for future uses. I'm learning to wrap my head around vastly extended turning radius with a hinge in the middle, watching overhead and down both sides and wishing I could see behind it :-) Maybe a wireless camera is in my future.
seagrace is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2016, 09:50 AM   #7

You can drive an RV regardless of size without one lick of training or experience I suspect that is the case here
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2016, 09:52 AM   #8

I'll probably get everyone all riled up but I am going to say it. The guy deserves everything he gets for making that bonehead move. When you take on driving around in something like a class A with a GVW in excess of what? 30K? you take on a hell of a lot of responsibility.

I travel the PA turnpike daily and see lots of motorhomes, and people towing trailers for that matter, and its clear they don't have a clue what they are doing from their erratic behaviour, general driving mistakes, and lack of courtesy. I was run onto the shoulder just last month towing our Roo in upstate NY by a Newmar who had not cleared me while passing. I caught up with the guy in a rest stop a few miles up the road. He had to have been over 80 and had issues just walking to the rest stop from the MH. He should not have been driving a Neon let alone a MH.

The picture above is a good example of why their should be special licensing requirments.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2016, 10:34 AM   #9
Who Dares, Wins

I also cringe sometimes when I see who is driving these monsters on the roadway.. Scary.

Now that I have the 2500 d-max I just use the truck lanes. But before with the gasser I also tried to always use the J RV lanes. I'll pay a hair more (although this was never the case for us, though others say different) I never had any issues. I got tired of trying to jockey into tight islands or ends then have someone box us in blah blah.. Some of the J RV lanes can also be tight sometimes.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2016, 10:41 AM   #10

I understand what you are saying but even with more regulations this would still happen. I have had to help older people hook up or unhook because they were to frail to do it. They then get in the drivers seat and off they go. Regulation would only help this if they checked every year. No way I would want to do that. Also what is the cut off. Do we regulate 5th wheel drivers? How about bumper pull both of which are more common and harder to drive in my opinion.
I'm never in favor of regulation and would actually like less input from our government. I certainly don't want to start having to pull into the weigh stations with the big rigs. No thanks.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2016, 10:45 AM   #11
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I understand what you are saying but even with more regulations this would still happen. I have had to help older people hook up or unhook because they were to frail to do it. They then get in the drivers seat and off they go. Regulation would only help this if they checked every year. No way I would want to do that. Also what is the cut off. Do we regulate 5th wheel drivers? How about bumper pull both of which are more common and harder to drive in my opinion.
I'm never in favor of regulation and would actually like less input from our government. I certainly don't want to start having to pull into the weigh stations with the big rigs. No thanks.
Agreed, with regulation comes over regulation.. Some states (like PA) do have slight regulation as to requirements to drive the monster size rigs. But like you said it is a one and done, not a every couple years recheck.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2016, 10:52 AM   #12
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
X 2 less regulation. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2016, 01:15 PM   #13

That reminds me of a couple situations recently; I was driving around in the city looking for a station that carries diesel( not as easy to find as in many parts of the country), I was getting really low on fuel, I finally found a station, pulled in and saw how unusually low the roof was and disappointedly had to leave- not going to chance it and had to keep searching! Same trip in LA with tight parking, I caught my corner bumper- couldn't go forward or back. I ended up having to back out and ended up with over $7,000. in damages. What an expensive wake up call to triple check and really try to think in advance to not get wedged in, check the widths and height of everything, always check my corners (the camera and bumper motion sensors don't see them) and don't be overconfident in my abilities.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2016, 01:29 PM   #14
DDC

Any one remember that old thing called 'common sense', this is the type of person who would try putting a round peg into a square hole.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2016, 01:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Any one remember that old thing called 'common sense', this is the type of person who would try putting a round peg into a square hole.
Unfortunately, "common sense" isn't so common these days.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2016, 02:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post

With the length well over 35' and no hinge in the middle, common sense goes away. Only replaced by experience, frightfully gained by time.
Ever navigate a Prevost around Quebec City?
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2016, 03:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
You can drive an RV regardless of size without one lick of training or experience I suspect that is the case here
x2!
ottawapaul is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2016, 03:02 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

As has been said many times before, "You can't fix STUPID."
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2016, 03:24 PM   #19

Gas pumps

Very few stations are Big RV friendly for the Gas Burners.They are not built to let rv get into easlly.
johnnynsc is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2016, 03:40 PM   #20

I rarely use anything but RV or truck lanes with the 5er hooked. I'll drop the 5er and fuel if needed. So--- for Christmas I'm getting a aux fuel tank installed in the bed of the truck. Merry Christmas to me!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
gas