Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2016, 05:00 PM   #21

Oh, I feel for that driver, that is one of my nightmares. The height on our 5er is 13.5 feet so I'm always worried about clearance. I rubbed the side of our 5er on it's first big trip, nothing major but HUGE lesson learned. The same trip we almost ran out of fuel because I couldn't find a big enough station with diesel. Finally, I found a place to unhook the Beast (5er) and went to get fuel. So the lesson that came from that was, 1) Especially when traveling long distances, I study the route the night before and find the Pilots or Flying J's and know what Exit they are on. 2) Before reconnecting, go get fuel even if it only will take a gallon or two, that may be all that I need to make a difference.
2015 Coachmen Chaparral 336 TSIK

Twice is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2016, 05:42 PM   #22

We drive a Sunseeker 3010DS towing a Jeep Wrangler and try to use Pilot or Flying J whenever possible. Feel comfortable in most of their locations. We carry a book titled "Next Exit" which gives brands of gas at each exit along the interstates, so we know beforehand what is there before we take the exit ramp. Also make notes every time we stop for future reference. So far, so good.
Lazy Day is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2016, 06:14 PM   #23
txkreddog

It is scary, I feel for the driver. That said, I have believed for years, after your 65th birthday, a road test should be required, not just eye and hearing tests, when your license is renewed. That would include myself since 65 is in the rear view mirror. RVs over a certain size should require an endorsement, like a motorcycle does, to validate the license.
txkreddog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2016, 06:47 PM   #24

Truck lanes. One of the better reasons for my Dmax. I always try to fuel the night before pulling out in the morning, less hassle and wait time at some Truck stops.

Days Camped. 2015: 17
Days Camped 2016: 58
keeprr is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2016, 06:49 PM   #25

Stick with the truck stops if a 25 foot tractor pulling a 53 foot box that is 13.6 high will fit there should be no problem getting the biggest RV made in to the truck lanes also you know you are going to get clean fresh fuel . Sure you may pay a few cents more
Ask that poor soul at the Texaco station if he would pay a few cents to get out of that mess
Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2016, 07:24 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by txkreddog View Post
It is scary, I feel for the driver. That said, I have believed for years, after your 65th birthday, a road test should be required, not just eye and hearing tests, when your license is renewed. That would include myself since 65 is in the rear view mirror. RVs over a certain size should require an endorsement, like a motorcycle does, to validate the license.
Ditto above. I am 70 yrs old and would not mind at all being road tested when my license is due for renewal nor would I mind a road test and endorsement to pull my 5er.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2016, 07:42 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneDude 8289 View Post
Ditto above. I am 70 yrs old and would not mind at all being road tested when my license is due for renewal nor would I mind a road test and endorsement to pull my 5er.
I'm 68. I think random drug tests for ALL would be a big help.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2016, 08:15 PM   #28

Does anyone really think more testing would stop this.
If that were the case everyone is tested to drive does that stop accidents
We don't need more government we need less
jertourrider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2016, 08:24 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertourrider View Post
Does anyone really think more testing would stop this.

If that were the case everyone is tested to drive does that stop accidents

We don't need more government we need less

Well said. I'm glad there a still a few who see the light.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:47 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesptr View Post
Well said. I'm glad there a still a few who see the light.

I'm amazed that people willing give up their freedoms and allow the government to have control over them. Absolutely ridiculous to think that drug testing will do anything but make ourselves miserable subjects of the state.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2016, 09:08 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I'm amazed that people willing give up their freedoms and allow the government to have control over them. Absolutely ridiculous to think that drug testing will do anything but make ourselves miserable subjects of the state.
That comment was to show how ridiculous testing seniors would be. More seniors would pass the driving test then youngsters pass the drug tests IMO. They need to be careful what they ask for.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:33 PM   #32
DDC

If someone gets a ticket for things like what this guy did a test might be called for, but I won't volunteer myself to pay to take a test (it would not be free), I'm accident free for fifty years and don't feel I should be punished for the other guy.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2016, 09:51 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
If someone gets a ticket for things like what this guy did a test might be called for, but I won't volunteer myself to pay to take a test (it would not be free), I'm accident free for fifty years and don't feel I should be punished for the other guy.

Totally agree. They would call it testing but you can bet it will have a tax attached to it.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2016, 10:56 PM   #34

I retired from driving truck five years ago, pulling grain trailers, 82 feet overall length. Never had the problems some of the people do pulling a 28 foot 5r around their own block. I do believe there should be some kind of way to qualify drivers that get out of a Prius and into a 42 for MH. I'm not in favor of any government intervention either but somehow there needs to be some training of many of the operators of recreation vehicles.
Now we are only pulling a 34ft Shockwave behind a Duamax crewcab, both eyes open. This one is only 12'6", many of the fifth wheels are over 13 ft.

Enjoy the ride.
herbike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2016, 11:42 PM   #35

No matter your age, or your driving record, anyone can make a mistake. It only takes a small distraction to put you in a position that a mistake can be made.
I didn't see any where in the first post that mentioned an age. Right away someone is wanting older adult to take a test to drive larger rigs. An upgraded driver license might not be too bad for anyone driving or pulling a rig over so many feet. A one time fee and when you up renew your license you might be charged a dollar or two more to keep the upgraded license over your regular license. A one time fee to take the test shouldn't be so high that it put a hard ship on anyone taking the test.
I am a senior but think that what happened could have happened to anyone. Expect the unexpected because sooner or later it will happen.
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2016, 12:40 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbike View Post
I retired from driving truck five years ago, pulling grain trailers, 82 feet overall length. Never had the problems some of the people do pulling a 28 foot 5r around their own block. I do believe there should be some kind of way to qualify drivers that get out of a Prius and into a 42 for MH. I'm not in favor of any government intervention either but somehow there needs to be some training of many of the operators of recreation vehicles.
Now we are only pulling a 34ft Shockwave behind a Duamax crewcab, both eyes open. This one is only 12'6", many of the fifth wheels are over 13 ft.

Enjoy the ride.
X2. Don't need any more regulations but training is nice. I have seen actual driver training at our local RV dealers (including CW) and at most rallys. Highly recommend them, even if only for a refresher.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2016, 07:33 AM   #37

Please give a couple examples of anything any government agency is involved in that did not over regulate and overcharge for. Everything they touch requires more and more overpaid bureaucrats that require more offices with many chiefs and few Indians. All have several levels of non-producing employees requiring costs to escalate at least annually.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:55 AM   #38

Does anybody think the govement can fix poor judgement with a test
You get them involved in anything they will only make it worse or more money
Look at boating you now need a test after the so called test half of them can't read a no wake sign or even know what a wake is
Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2016, 09:56 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
As has been said many times before, "You can't fix STUPID."
And there is no age threshold for being stupid.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2016, 10:02 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
And there is no age threshold for being stupid.
I don't think I would go as far as saying they are stupid. Maybe inattentive and/or inexperienced. I believe we have all done stupid things but don't think that makes us totally stupid
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
gas