Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2019, 06:55 PM   #1
The Driver

How Satisfied Are You With Your Class C

We have had ours for 2 years now and about 70 nights of camping. It is working well for us for shorter trips, 2-4 weeks, and feel we made a good decision on this type of RV. Prior experience was with a pop-up and just a little with a trailer.

Just wondering in a broad, overall sense how satisfied you are with this type of RV. Pros and cons and things you have done, or would like to do, to make it more suitable for you.

Anyone have any experience with extended camping and things you may have done to make that type of camping easier, better, etc.?

The amount of time we will have to travel is going to greatly increase in the fairly near future and we plan to spend as much time in our Sunseeker that we can.
PoppySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:34 PM   #2
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySteve View Post
We have had ours for 2 years now and about 70 nights of camping. It is working well for us for shorter trips, 2-4 weeks, and feel we made a good decision on this type of RV. Prior experience was with a pop-up and just a little with a trailer.

Just wondering in a broad, overall sense how satisfied you are with this type of RV. Pros and cons and things you have done, or would like to do, to make it more suitable for you.

Anyone have any experience with extended camping and things you may have done to make that type of camping easier, better, etc.?

The amount of time we will have to travel is going to greatly increase in the fairly near future and we plan to spend as much time in our Sunseeker that we can.
May I ask your model? I'm on mobile app and can't see any registry.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:48 PM   #3
The Driver

It's a 2860 on E-450.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:10 PM   #4

PoppySteve. We love our 2451s Class C. Works perfectly for us. We like it’s smaller size and flexibility to camp where we want. It is also big enough to handle having our daughters and 3 granddaughters along, well at least on short trips. We take a toad along on some trips.

Since retirement we have enjoyed several longer trips up to 2+ months.

We have our first NPS volunteer host assignment this year and will spend 4 month in it.

Pros - it just works perfectly for us! Really like our floor plan and all the features. We have done a number of modifications, many decorative just to make it feel like home.

Cons - Our U-Shaped dinette serves as a couch and could be more comfortable. The 6 cu ft fridge is sometimes limiting as well.

Ultimately we love the camping lifestyle the camper enables.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:41 PM   #5

I had a 2017 FR Sunseeker 2400R. I liked the mpg, how it handled, and agility. Our longest trip was about 6 weeks with wife, small dog and 2 cats. The cons of the Sprinter are: lack of cargo space and carrying capacity, small FW tank, the 2 piece bed is a real PITA to deal with when traveling on daily basis, and no real room to stretch out and relax. After 6 weeks travel last year we really started talking about something bigger. And then, there is the maintenance cost of the Sprinter. Mercedes is real proud if there schedule A and B service plans and you are talking $1K plus, per set ice if you are not mechanically inclined to maintain warranty. We ended up buying a 2018 Tiffin Open Road Class A and never looked back. Sitting here on the Oregon coast now, more room than I can deal with, stretched and relaxing! I seriously thing 2 small framed adults could do fine in a Sprinter. Bigger than that, or more people than that and it gets problematic real quick, but that was my experience. Others will be totally different.
2008 Jeep JKS
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:29 AM   #6

We love our 2016 Sunseeker 3010DS. We travel 4-5 months in the winter. In the summer we take the grandkids to local (NJ and Pa) campgrounds. We even took 2 of the grandkids to Arkansas last summer to visit with their cousins.
2017 Ford Fiesta toad
Bill and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:39 PM   #7
The Driver

Wandering - thanks for the helpful post. Hope the NPS thing is good for you.

DW is looking hard to find a laundry solution for the long trips without having to visit the laundromat.

Other than that, there are no concerns for us on the livability. We don't take much along, are conservative with water, etc. and just sort of make do with what is available.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:44 PM   #8
Sunseeker 2400MBW

We have lived in our 2016 2401W Sunseeker full time for past 17 months and have tentative plans to go about 15 more months. We tow a car with a roof top box with some extra clothes and all the kayaking stuff. We carry 2 kayaks and 2 bicycles. Extras are an apparatus that allows us to hook up an extra LP tank and 120 watts of solar panel. We went to a foam place and had the cushions in the awful dinette re-stuffed. We go to the bank and buy $200 of quarters every so often for the laundromat. We are having a ball, I feel like a kid at summer camp. Could I do this forever? No. It’s just too small. Zero counter space for cooking, I have learned to love the instant pot. (3 quart version). It helps to have an end date in mind. But small is so great in the parks and in the gas station and when you’re lost. It’s a conundrum for sure.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:14 PM   #9
The Driver

Thanks for sharing your experience.

What would be good to have is more gas money!
Old 07-15-2019, 11:20 PM   #10

Have 2016 3011DS, bought new. Downsized from 38ft diesel pusher.
Just the two of us and a couple of four-legged fur kids.

So far have no regrets. Had a few minor issues (warranty) handled very well by selling dealer.

I find the couch terribly uncomfortable. DW not so much. It's the only thing I would consider changing. We have the front entertainment center (didn't need bed over the cab) and it works great for us. We keep talking about recliners instead of the couch but haven't done anything as yet so guess it isn't that big a deal after all.

Everyone is good at something... I happen to be a good bad example.
Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:17 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
We purchased FR Lexington 255DS about 5 years ago, I am still working so we have only used it on 2-3 week trips and a few weekends. We are very happy with the size for what we do (26 foot) and the layout (back bedroom, sink separate from toilet/shower, couch up front - no dinette). We are looking forward to much longer trips in it.

Key things we like:
  • Size allows us to park in many national parks
  • Size is just large enough for long trips
  • We don't tow so we it works as a "car"
  • On long drives we can eat our own food, use our own toilet and sleep in our own bed
  • Class C - we don't have to get out and setup when we get to camp
  • Auto-levelers would be a nice add
  • Smaller would be to tight for the two of us and a dog
  • Bigger would be a bigger pain for national parks and driving

Our campers is from 2006 and I am doing a few thousand in maintenance this year, but nothing major wrong (and trying to prevent future issues). We were looking at RV shows for a few years and came to the conclusion we have what we want for now. For another $50k (sell ours for 25, buy for 75) we could have exactly what we have but shiny, all in all far from worth it.

We will change when:
  • We want something bigger
  • We feel like it's going become a maintenance issue

-Bill
NoviBill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:26 AM   #12
The Driver

Yes couch is the pits. DW keeps asking if I want to spend money on new furniture or gas.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
May I ask your model? I'm on mobile app and can't see any registry.
If you tap on the poster's names at the top of a message you can see their sig and other details.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c