Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #1

I know things are bad......

.... but I'd like some advice/opinions. I've had my previous coach on a consignment lot since last December for just at book wholesale.

No bites at all. Now the consignment lot owner has offered me roughly half of wholesale to take it off my hands. The coach is VERY sound mechanically, but has quite a few "issues" and cosmetically it's about average for a 12 year old unit.

I'm heavily leaning to take him up on his offer. I worry though that this may be a possible method of operating for this guy. In other words, not really trying to hard on my behalf to sell it; then as time drags on he can really low ball me.

The advantage of selling to him, is that I'm done with it and can move on without thinking about it. And of course I can quit paying insurance on it.

As the subject says, the RV market is very soft right now so maybe the fact that it hasn't sold is due to the economy. But no bites in 5 months on a coach with a wholesale price sort of surprises me.

Anyone??

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #2

Did you try listing it on Ebay or any other online RV classifieds for 75% of wholesale or maybe just a little under wholesale and see if you get any bites?

I sold my grandparents 2004 Newmar Dutch star two years ago and we had to drop the price, however my Grandfather refused to give the dealer the price he offered. They took a huge hit but, needed to get rid of it as they weren't using it. The dealer offered him $75,000 for it and we were able to list it at $99,000 and took an offer of $90,000.

Just a thought, take some pictures and make up a listing yourself and see if you get any hits on it before taking a potential low ball offer. Although, if you are really ready to move on then maybe it is worth it.

I'd still give it a shot at just lowering the price a bit, but that is just me.

Good luck!
Flagstaffer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #3

Have you tried listing it on craigslist? I know it might be a hassle showing it but might be worth a try. Be sure to include pics and be honest about the few "issues".
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #4

I don't have any experience selling consignment, so I can't help a whole lot with that. However, I have sold two Class A's on Craigslist. You may have tried this before the consignment lot, but if not it could be worth a try.
trttrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Craigslist is a good indicator for a local market. I'd also post there before taking what seems to be a lowball from a dealer.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
Have you tried listing it on craigslist? I know it might be a hassle showing it but might be worth a try. Be sure to include pics and be honest about the few "issues".

Flagstaffer, I find your post ironic; the one I'm trying to sell is a 2000 Dutch Star gasser.

And to you and Wiscampsin, I'm a full timer moving around the country. The coach is in Mesa, AZ so I really can't do much myself toward marketing it myself.

All in all, the best thing I can probably do is just let it go. Our contract called for me to have $15K as my proceeds. He now wants to give me $10K. He called me yesterday with a "possible" buyer that would have netted me $12K. I said "do it". Called today and said the deal did not walk and offered the 10K.

I really like this guy and don't get the impression that he's "greasy". But I've been wrong before.

Boowho??
Old 05-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #7

Yikes!!!!

The thread is moving so fast two more posts came in while I was drafting my first response.

I just want to say thanks to ALL who have replied (so far, at least)

Boowho??
Old 05-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #8

I agree. We just upgraded from a popup in January. The dealer gave me a trade in price that was really low on the popup so I decided to keep it and sell it on my own. I listed mine on Craigslist. The first week I got nothing, not even a nibble. The second week I had 4 or 5 people interested and ended up selling it the third week due to being out of town during the second week. I got a good price and a lot more than the dealer was offering. You might want to give it a try.
tclcyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #9

Yes, try Craigslist. I bought a "starter" RV in 2011 for $13k and sold it used a year and half later for $12,500 on CL in less than 2 weeks.

2013 Forest River Wildcat Maxx 26BHS
2011 Infinity QX56
maverick_415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #10

You know Boo,

You should try and list it here in Denver. The RV market is really quite good here and you get more prospects from a wider age group. It may be worth it to give it a try.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #11
Camper Less Camping

boowho

Your always going to get a much lower buying offer from a Dealer/Consignment operation...just the nature of their business to turn a profit for the risk they inherit...as others stated, if you want/desire the most cash out of the sale, recommend listing on Craigslist & RV Trader for broader appeal.
We use both each time we are wanting to upgrade our camper & sell ourselves every time.

Good Luck

Old 05-02-2013, 07:57 AM   #12

One thing is for sure. You will 99% be able to sell it above what the dealer wants to give you.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Flagstaffer, I find your post ironic; the one I'm trying to sell is a 2000 Dutch Star gasser.

And to you and Wiscampsin, I'm a full timer moving around the country. The coach is in Mesa, AZ so I really can't do much myself toward marketing it myself.

All in all, the best thing I can probably do is just let it go. Our contract called for me to have $15K as my proceeds. He now wants to give me $10K. He called me yesterday with a "possible" buyer that would have netted me $12K. I said "do it". Called today and said the deal did not walk and offered the 10K.

I really like this guy and don't get the impression that he's "greasy". But I've been wrong before.

Boowho??
Take the 10K & run. If you were in a different set of circumstances I would list on Craigslist, but that just isn't going to work for you.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post
Take the 10K & run. If you were in a different set of circumstances I would list on Craigslist, but that just isn't going to work for you.

Pretty much the decision I've come to. The market IS really soft, so 1/2 wholesale looks pretty good to me. I like the "running" part ; never having to worry about it again. Paying $40 per month just on insurance.

It's BADLY needs new tires all around, and a few other things that need fixing before it can be sold.

And I did buy my current coach at below wholesale, so it'll all come out in the wash as they say.

I'm waiting for a call-back right now from the guy so I can accept his offer. IF he somehow changes his mind, then I MAY take it to Denver as one of you suggested.

A big thanks to all of you who responded.

Boowho??
Old 05-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #15

Good luck with it! I can see that may just be the best. I know sometimes I just want it gone and do fire sale prices on stuff as well.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #16

Hope it works out for you, Boowoo. Sounds to me like you are making a great decision.
trttrving is offline   Reply With Quote