Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2018, 11:31 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
If you leave the anode out over the winter expect the threads to be highly rusted in the spring and likely requiring rethreading. Gotta admit I've never needed to re-tap the threads on either of my trailers. Replacing the rod into the tank takes a bit if finesse but it should turn easily with the fingers. Deep socket as a finger extension works well. 1-1/16". You can't cross thread this with just fingers.

-- Chuck
Agreed. When I remove mine I wipe a bit of liquid wrench onto the threads. Come spring, it is easy sailing for the anode rod.
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:41 AM   #22

Quote:
If you leave the anode out over the winter expect the threads to be highly rusted in the spring and likely requiring rethreading. Gotta admit I've never needed to re-tap the threads on either of my trailers. Replacing the rod into the tank takes a bit if finesse but it should turn easily with the fingers. Deep socket as a finger extension works well. 1-1/16". You can't cross thread this with just fingers.

-- Chuck
BINGO!!! That's exactly what happened!!! I'm going to get my pipe tap today! I'm going to finish the hybrid electric Installation and replace my Suburban with a gas only Attwood heater when needed!
Thanks for your help!
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:49 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hack522 View Post
Agreed. When I remove mine I wipe a bit of liquid wrench onto the threads. Come spring, it is easy sailing for the anode rod.
Another great idea! Just might save me a couple more years before having to replace the heater! Might just put the like new anode rod back in when my MH is in storage or after my camping is finished for a period of time.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:19 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schvarak View Post
BINGO!!! That's exactly what happened!!! I'm going to get my pipe tap today! I'm going to finish the hybrid electric Installation and replace my Suburban with a gas only Attwood heater when needed!
Thanks for your help!
if your going to replace water heater then go gas and electric .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:29 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
if your going to replace water heater then go gas and electric .
Nope! Have my hybrid electric ready to go. When necessary, I'll replace my suburban gas only with an Attwood gas only for $300 something. And stick with my hybrid electric heater--was $85. I've seen Suburbans and Attwoods costing over $600 and $800+ I'm tired of anode rods.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:33 PM   #26

Liquid wrench?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hack522 View Post
Not sure I would like Liquid Wrench near my water supply. If I had to lube with something (I never have), I would use cooking oil. Hmm, I wonder if safflower is better than olive oil...

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:45 PM   #27

How fast, you say?

Quote:
I would not run a Suburban water heater without an anode which protects the tank from corroding from the inside out. Unless you're planning on replacing the entire water heater soon.

I have no idea the speed of the aftermarket heating element. The OEM electric element only heats water at about 67% of the LP element. With a 6 gallon tank there's no need to turn the LP on until half an hour before need. Recovery on LP is 10+ gallons per minute.

-- Chuck
Well, the OEM heating elements are 1450 or 1500 watts. The little hybrid is 425 watts (for the 6 gallon water heater). That's only about 30% of the power. So it would take 3.3 times as long to recover.

Larry
Old 12-02-2018, 12:52 PM   #28

Plastic plugs?

Quote:
Attwood doesn't need an anode. Which would only require changing out the hybrid??? "element" if needed. Also, the plug for draining the water when necessary is plastic so it won't require thread chasing like the suburban steel tank problem I'd been fighting for over 7 years prior to buying my MH 3 years ago.
The above quote from Schvarak appeared in my Inbox, but doesn't seem to be in the forum.

Those favoring the Atwood might want to look at the forum threads discussing removing those plastic plugs when the head rounds off or snaps off. It's not a bed of roses.

Larry
Old 12-02-2018, 01:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
The above quote from Schvarak appeared in my Inbox, but doesn't seem to be in the forum.

Those favoring the Atwood might want to look at the forum threads discussing removing those plastic plugs when the head rounds off or snaps off. It's not a bed of roses.

Larry
Specific posts listed please. I haven't seen what you speak of
Old 12-02-2018, 02:11 PM   #30

Quote:
Nope! Have my hybrid electric ready to go. When necessary, I'll replace my suburban gas only with an Attwood gas only for $300 something. And stick with my hybrid electric heater--was $85. I've seen Suburbans and Attwoods costing over $600 and $800+ I'm tired of anode rods.

you can get a suburban gas/electric for $334. free shipping so to get a gas only isn't going to save you . now the attwoods are a bit more. and anode rods are $15. or less and should only have to replace every couple years at most . plus you need to dump and clean tank at least once a year anyways , just saying. in fact I've seen the attwod gas /ele for 469 so your really not saving a dang thing and adding a less then good or safe heating element
Old 12-02-2018, 06:29 PM   #31
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Not sure I would like Liquid Wrench near my water supply. If I had to lube with something (I never have), I would use cooking oil. Hmm, I wonder if safflower is better than olive oil...

Larry
Me either.
Just put the anode back in once removed (for checking and flushing) and you won't need anything but a little teflon tape.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:06 PM   #32

Quote:
you can get a suburban gas/electric for $334. free shipping so to get a gas only isn't going to save you . now the attwoods are a bit more. and anode rods are $15. or less and should only have to replace every couple years at most . plus you need to dump and clean tank at least once a year anyways , just saying. in fact I've seen the attwod gas /ele for 469 so your really not saving a dang thing and adding a less then good or safe heating element
I'm getting my atwood gas/electric for $429. Touch of a switch to select electric or gas. I won't be replacing any anode rods.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:02 PM   #33

Quote:
I'm getting my atwood gas/electric for $429. Touch of a switch to select electric or gas. I won't be replacing any anode rods.

That's a good deal . attwood has fine hot water heaters aluminum tanks so no need for a anode rod . j
Old 12-13-2018, 12:46 PM   #34

Quote:

That's a good deal . attwood has fine hot water heaters aluminum tanks so no need for a anode rod . j
Well, not so good a deal afterall!! After measuring my current tank/opening- the Atwood just wouldn't fit!! So, I just now ordered a Suburban combination gas and electric dsi ignition tank from suburban thru Amazon. It's coming with a dual gas and electric switch, and a new door! Total cost is $345. I like the idea of electric and gas at the same time or electric or gas as choice.
Anyone need a gass only tank and a Camco hybrid water heater conversion kit? [emoji16]

Tags
heater, hybrid, water, water heater