Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #1

Installing CB Radio Antenna NGP

I'm considering installing my CB radio inmy MH and know most use Non-Ground Plane antennas.
I'm considering buying a Firestic LG4M2 which is the 4ft black Firestic with side mount.

Has anyone installed this antenna or have any thoughts on Non-Ground Plane antennas in motorhomes?

Thanks
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:12 PM   #2

Would it be any different than an antenna mounted on a pickup truck? I've had antenna's with center and base loads mounted on the roof and mirrors. Firestick is a great brand altho I'm currently using a K40. I don't foresee any issues.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
Would it be any different than an antenna mounted on a pickup truck? I've had antenna's with center and base loads mounted on the roof and mirrors. Firestick is a great brand altho I'm currently using a K40. I don't foresee any issues.
I also use a K40 on my pickup but when you have a motorhome made of fiberglass and very little metal above it is difficult to get any reflection with signals in and out. So they came up with the No Ground Plane (NGP) antenna system that has a tuned coax with resistance built into the coax to fake the entenna out and it will reflect using the coax instead of a metal structure. Most motorhomes as well as the newer fiberglass big rig truck use them.

Here is a link to the antenna system
LINK
Old 11-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #4

I see the difference. Thanks for the link. How are you gonna mount the side mount? Drill thru the cab for the coax, and a self adhesive on the plate? By the product description and review you should be good to go. The only thing I don't like is that you can't shorten the antenna, only add to it to decrease the SWR's.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
I see the difference. Thanks for the link. How are you gonna mount the side mount? Drill thru the cab for the coax, and a self adhesive on the plate? By the product description and review you should be good to go. The only thing I don't like is that you can't shorten the antenna, only add to it to decrease the SWR's.
Yes it looks as if I would have to mount it infront of and above drivers or passengers window. It probably will be inside one of the cabinets and you have to remove the inner wall all the way out to the fiberglass.
That is the one thing I dread doing and that is why I'm still pondering the loaction. I can mount it lower in front near the engine but that may be bad for signal being low.

So that is why I'm here asking and see where others have mounted their antennas.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy

Yes it looks as if I would have to mount it infront of and above drivers or passengers window. It probably will be inside one of the cabinets and you have to remove the inner wall all the way out to the fiberglass.
That is the one thing I dread doing and that is why I'm still pondering the loaction. I can mount it lower in front near the engine but that may be bad for signal being low.

So that is why I'm here asking and see where others have mounted their antennas.
There is a post on here somewhere that used the same unit. He put it under the molding that the front visor runs in. I have had mine off to run new tv hdmi lines and it looks to have room for that kind of mount.
Newellri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #7

There is a post where someone used the same unit. He put it behind the molding that the front visor runs in.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:40 PM   #8

I emailed FR and they suggested going thro top of mirror.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:23 AM   #9

A few years back I mounted the NGP behind the drivers side and before the slide out. The hardest part was drilling the first hole. I put tape on both the inside and outside area where the holes were to be drilled. Once the bracket was bolted to the side of the unit and the coax run I went to Lowes and purchased a white plastic 4x4post cap. and a piece of plastic "u" wire hide material. The post cap I glued to the inside of coach, this covered up the ends of the bolts, and the "u" channel had its own glue so no problem. Once finish looked liked it belonged there.
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #10
Kanadian Kamper

X2 what cardinal4fun said for installation location and the "covering up" inside.

The side location positioning was determined by the fact that I didn't want the antennae any higher than the rooftop A/C units. My in-dash radio antennae (factory installed by FR) is like a curb-feeler for me as to my MAXIMIUM height underneath anything.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:57 PM   #11
Anacortesians

I kept a CB package from an S-10 pickup I bought from my son-in-law after I sold it on. It has an antenna which was attached to the edge if the left front fender about half way towards the front, in the gap between the hood and the fender. There's a cylindrical thingy about half-way up the antenna.

I have absolutely no radio knowledge at all - I was a Mechanical Engineer! I've been thniking of putting the CB in the motorhome. Can I mount this antenna on the side of the MH up near the roof, and use the CB without having reception issues? There's obviously no ground plane, but I'm thinking the pick-up truck didn't have one either and maybe that cylindrical "thingy" subsitutes for the lack of a ground plane.

Tags
antenna