Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2015, 02:39 PM   #1

Interested in a used 30+ foot Class C, what to buy?

I did own a Class C a long time ago, more of a travel trailer guy. I am thinking about moving up to a Class C, heard too many cautions regarding safety of Class A's. What is the best brand, floorplan, etc.
3.5L EcoBoost (12,200 Towing Capacity)

mcmartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:28 PM   #2

Not a Forest River, but we are very happy with our Fleetwood Jamboree 31M. At 34', this thing is a beast. It has a side hallway, which allows the toilet and shower to be in same room. Allows us to close accordion style door, yet gives others hallway access to the bathroom. Ours has a cab-over bed, which is great for grandkids and guests.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:41 AM   #3

We had a small Class C (21ft Toyota) and moved up to a 30ft class "A". More room, better floor plan, etc.

Crash safety would probably be determined by the type of crash and the extent. Some crashes you'd do better in the "A", some you would do better in the "C".
Old 11-23-2015, 08:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmartinez View Post
I did own a Class C a long time ago, more of a travel trailer guy. I am thinking about moving up to a Class C, heard too many cautions regarding safety of Class A's. What is the best brand, floorplan, etc.
Safety in a class A a problem? After owning three 40' diesel pushers over a period of 12 years and 9 other RV's, I can say I never felt safer going down the road than I did in my class A MH's! Not sure what you've been reading or who your talking too, but I think, perhaps, just perhaps, you're a bit off base with your conclusion!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:16 AM   #5

I appreciate your feedback. Not really my conclusions, just MH Reviews on line. Keep them coming. I need as much info as I can get to ensure I make the right decision as a move up fro a TT to a MH.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:38 PM   #6
Old Soldier

delighted with Sun Seeker 3110

Sun Seeker 3110 - Good floorplan for our needs - balancing flexible sleeping with moderate size / cost. No real complaints - but as usual, you get what you pay for...
ColonelRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:42 PM   #7

love our 3170ds lots of room ,and bunks are great for grandkids...make sure to get auto levelers ,makes life so much easier
sonny bransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:39 PM   #8
Dahagen

I had two Coachman Class C's and loved them both. Now I have a Coachman Class A and really love it. Drives better than the C's, and I can see a whole lot better. And the front seats turn around for more seating area for guests. My A has the Ford chassis which is highly rated and very safe.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:10 PM   #9

C- a- or a 5

Had a class A, was great for two but not so great with kids. Had several travel trailers and they suited the purpose at the time. Got a 35 foot 5th wheel when getting ready to retire and it was very nice, except for when backing or setting it up at a destination. We now have a 2013 Sunseeker 3170DS class C, and we are in love with it. Great with grandkids, very easy to drive, backing is a breeze, very easy set-up. I am planning on towing my Jeep Wrangler. I believe this is the greatest RV we have owned. I hate that it is now in it's garage for the winter. If you don't need the bunk beds, they have a similar floor plan that includes a computer/desk area.
OKpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:28 PM   #10

We love our Coachmen Concord 300TS. Great on the road (Florida to California and back, twice)! This is a great road machine. Easy to live in (4 weeks per California trip plus Christmas trips and monthly long weekends). We are planning to full time in this when I retire. Currently planning to add swivels to the front seats so we can add them to the living space.
Drew Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:59 PM   #11

I own a 2008 Coachmen Concord 300TS. It's 30' 10" with triple slide outs. Sleeps four comfortably. If you only plan to travel just as a couple it's a great unit. I love mine. Something to consider if your looking for maneuverability, comfort, and ability to tow a car, this type and model is what you might want to consider. Check out the Coachmen web site.
clarinetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKpete View Post
Had a class A, was great for two but not so great with kids. Had several travel trailers and they suited the purpose at the time. Got a 35 foot 5th wheel when getting ready to retire and it was very nice, except for when backing or setting it up at a destination. We now have a 2013 Sunseeker 3170DS class C, and we are in love with it. Great with grandkids, very easy to drive, backing is a breeze, very easy set-up. I am planning on towing my Jeep Wrangler. I believe this is the greatest RV we have owned. I hate that it is now in it's garage for the winter. If you don't need the bunk beds, they have a similar floor plan that includes a computer/desk area.
ive got a 4 door jeep wrangler that I pull with my3170ds. I use a roadmaster set up and bought light harness from dealer . works great and easy set up and onload
Old 11-24-2015, 09:12 AM   #13

Lots of options on what used class c to buy, one option I suggest staying far away from are 1-2 yr old used rentals that you see for sale all over online.

I'll just tell you that I accidentally hooked the hose up to our rentals black water flush thinking I was filling the fresh water tank. Ended up pumping black water tank backwash out the roof vent pipe and out the toilet on the floor. Turned that rental in with TP still stuck to the outside windows.

Haven't made that mistake with the 3170DS we picked up in April of this year. We have the 3170 because we have 4 kids, so this model works well for us.
6inthefamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:28 AM   #14

Sonny: Do you have a brake system for the Wrangler, if so which did you go with ? I have not decided on one as yet. So many choices and pricey.

6 in family: i would agree on not purchasing a former rental. My kids rented a class C for a 10 day stay at the beach and it was a real beast. Leaks everywhere and interior was terrible. I would not have slept on any of the mattresses in the unit, yuk !
I had a friend who had zero experience in RV'ing who rented a huge class A. He flooded the unit using the washer, sucked up what he could inside and returned it. You know that unit will have future problems.
OKpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:50 PM   #15

Getting a lot of useful feedback, thanks to everyone and by old means keep it coming. My use will be DW and I. Retiring early next year and plan to use it more often. May have company sometimes, maybe two young adults. I do not need nor want bunk beds. swivels would be nice and one recliner would be a bonus. Good bedroom slide out, Decent bathroom, and open floor plan.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKpete View Post
Sonny: Do you have a brake system for the Wrangler, if so which did you go with ? I have not decided on one as yet. So many choices and pricey.

6 in family: i would agree on not purchasing a former rental. My kids rented a class C for a 10 day stay at the beach and it was a real beast. Leaks everywhere and interior was terrible. I would not have slept on any of the mattresses in the unit, yuk !
I had a friend who had zero experience in RV'ing who rented a huge class A. He flooded the unit using the washer, sucked up what he could inside and returned it. You know that unit will have future problems.
no I do not have a braking system on jeep yet,,i have ben looking and I think I'm going to use the invisabrake system,,pricey but looks like a good choice.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny bransom View Post
no I do not have a braking system on jeep yet,,i have ben looking and I think I'm going to use the invisabrake system,,pricey but looks like a good choice.

I've been reading on the braking systems.
I too, have a JK.
I looked at the invisibrake, but prefer the blue ox patriot.
I feel it's a better design, without the cables, pulleys, and cylinder, that is permanently installed.

2015 RAM 3500 CCSB CUMMINS
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 11-24-2015, 11:01 PM   #18

I just bought a Blue Ox Patriot and used it a couple of weeks ago. It is proportional and does not work hard on the brakes, worked perfectly. I had tried a used Blue Ox Apollo which was air operated and found that it was braking very hard. Recommend the Patriot.
clarinetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:49 AM   #19

thanks for info,,i'll ck out the blue ox patriot system
Old 11-26-2015, 08:22 AM   #20

Interested in a used 30+ foot Class C, what to buy?

We started out with a used '04 Jamboree 26 and decided after two years to purchase a new 2860 (31') and essentially got my money back on the old one
We "Camp"at this point in life (stay in the South East) as opposed to "RVing" and the outside kitchen was a must that just wasn't available in the smaller "A's"
Think about how you have been vacationing and don't get caught up in "cool stuff" that you may not use or need
In our case fire places and recliners and social seating arrangements are all really neat but we don't use that stuff.We rarely turn on the big TV and the couch is fine for rainy day lounging (we have little round ottomans,one stows between the front seats and the other under kitchen table)
Outside cooking and TV is a must for us and a little TV in bed so buying the really laid out home interior would have been "cool" to have but rarely used
Go to the Shows see what you will use and find a smokin deal
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c