Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #1

K & N Air Filters

I am interested in those that are using K & N Air Filters on their Gas Motor Homes and what benefits, if any, They are seeing. I have a Sunseeker 3170 with the Ford V10 and an aftermarket engine chip. Running at 55mph on cruise I got 9.4. I added the chip and increased milage about 10%. I am wondering if I will see anything from the K & N Air Filter.
adogman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I've used the K&N. IMO zero benefit.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adogman60 View Post
I am interested in those that are using K & N Air Filters on their Gas Motor Homes and what benefits, if any, They are seeing. I have a Sunseeker 3170 with the Ford V10 and an aftermarket engine chip. Running at 55mph on cruise I got 9.4. I added the chip and increased milage about 10%. I am wondering if I will see anything from the K & N Air Filter.
Your engine will be louder with a K&N air filter. That is the air intake will make more sound as you accelerate.
K&N give you probably more air which can reduce head buildup in engine so when it is in the exhaust stroke you flush out quicker. Not a great benifit. It may give you more mpg but I doubt it being your already chipped.
K&N also has washable filters which is a definite benifit.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
Now a "Top Member"

I had one in my gas truck and for over 100,000 miles, I never had to buy an air filter. Just kept it cleaned and oiled and it was fine. If there was any increase in power or gas mileage, it wasn't really enough to notice, but it did sound cool. Like Iggy said, it had a little roar to it with the K&N.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:17 AM   #5

From my stock car racing days, k&n filters are useless and rob horsepower. Every engine we ever dyno'd had a decrease in HP's. You are much better off just replacing the stock paper one more often.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:53 AM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I have the Bank's Cold Air Intake System, a bit of a customer concession from CW. It came with a K&N Air Filter and new housing . One good thing about it is the ease to open the housing to access the filter. I still have the original Ford housing and tubes if someone should break theirs trying to get that thing open. One thing I've noticed is better pedal response especially on hills. I no longer scream going up the hills of Rte 83 in PA at 4400 RPMs. Part of it I also believe is I've gotten better at my approaches to the hills so I'll take some of the credit as well. Better gas mileage, doubtful but to me a much better relaxing ride as opposed to the high RPM screaming. Just my observation!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:30 AM   #7
carl.net

I do not have a MH but do have a gas engine in my truck. I go a lot places where it is dusty and have gotten tired of cleaning my filter at inopportune times. So I have replaced it with a cheap stock filter and now carry a spare. The K&N provided no increase in fuel economy only more work on my part to clean...
Tekonsha P3 break controller
- 36 ft Monterey cabin cruiser, Stainless blender
Two 4.7 GXi I/O (2 x 320hp = 640hp)
carl.net is offline   Reply With Quote