Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2016, 01:02 PM   #1

Keeping windshield clean on trips

We’ve seen a lot of videos on how to clean our motorhome windshield at home, but the places we stop along the way don’t want us to use a power washer at their campsites.

How does everyone else clean the bugs off their windshield after driving 4 to 8 hours during the day to get to your next stop?
PapaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:21 AM   #2

We bought a 12 inch squeegee , along with the scrubbing cloth, extension rod, bucket and window cleaning solution from Lowes. Just add a little water.

It seems to work rather well on the road as long as you don't try to clean the windshield in direct sunlight. I am glad we didn't get the 18 inch because the curves at the sides of the windshield can be tricky.
tkarper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkarper14 View Post
We bought a 12 inch squeegee , along with the scrubbing cloth, extension rod, bucket and window cleaning solution from Lowes. Just add a little water.

It seems to work rather well on the road as long as you don't try to clean the windshield in direct sunlight. I am glad we didn't get the 18 inch because the curves at the sides of the windshield can be tricky.
I just use the old "Gas Station Type Long Handle Pad/Squeegee"! The Big downside is within the Next Mile the "Nastyest Bug in the USA,Hits DEAD Center in my line of vision on the Windshield! I am going to Install some of those "Bug Whistles" like they have for DEER! Youroo!!
Old 09-17-2016, 02:03 PM   #4

Drive slower so you don't squish the bugs.
JohnVtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 02:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I just use the old "Gas Station Type Long Handle Pad/Squeegee"! The Big downside is within the Next Mile the "Nastyest Bug in the USA,Hits DEAD Center in my line of vision on the Windshield! I am going to Install some of those "Bug Whistles" like they have for DEER! Youroo!!
Yes, but I always tell the DW when that happens.. "I'll tell you what, that bug doesn't have the guts to try that again."

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:24 PM   #6

Bugs on windshield

I use 000 steel wool! Use it dry! Works great and does not scratch windshield!
gmann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:49 PM   #7

Spray hydrogen peroxide on the glass let it set for a few seconds then use long handled bug removal squeegee. Then clean with glass cleaner. Works great.
edcronin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 01:10 PM   #8

bugs

Soak 1 or 2 sheets of dryer softener in warm water,shake it up and spry it on the windshield. After wiping it off clean with a window cleaner( the best I've found is "glass Doctor" about 6 bucks a can use it in the sun or shade works great. And wet dryer softener sheets and wipe your bumpers or mirror backs, the sheets also works removing bugs off the front of a 5th. wheel.
Det107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:59 PM   #9

Was given a sample of a bug melting spray made by MOTUL USA.

It's rare to be as impressed as I was after my first use in the middle of Nebraska.

https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products/oils-lubricants/e7-insect-remover-na

The only other windshield cleaning must have for my Class A is a step ladder!
repsolgamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:23 PM   #10

Thumbs down Rain-X

I've always wondered if a coat of Rain-X would help with bug removal. I really like it for making it easier to scape windshields during the winter here in Michigan. Also helps during rain. There are times I never turn on the wipers.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:50 PM   #11

Bugs on Windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
I've always wondered if a coat of Rain-X would help with bug removal. I really like it for making it easier to scape windshields during the winter here in Michigan. Also helps during rain. There are times I never turn on the wipers.
Recently I was struggling to clean bugs off my Georgetown windshield at a truck stop when a trucker walked up and recommended I polish my windshield with car wax. He said it does not interfere with it's transparency and it makes it easy to removed the bugs. That said, I have not actually tried it yet so I can't guarantee the results. I was thinking about trying it in some area around the edges until I was sure it worked ok.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:10 PM   #12

I carry a push broom ( thank you Ca State Parks ) in my rig.

I wrap an old towel around the brush and scrub away, 50/50 Windex water Mix.
rubingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:29 PM   #13

RainEx absolutely helps!
Jordyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:40 PM   #14

I use Rain-x. It makes the bugs stick a bit less and makes cleaning off what did stick a bit easier. I apply it prior to every trip.
mhaskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:42 PM   #15

Vinegar warm water news paper
retired on a mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 03:24 PM   #16

Costco sells a spray wax called FW1, this works great on windows and mirrors.
Keeps fingerprints off stainless as well.
Mirrors dont fog up in the bathroom and the exterior mirrors wont fog up in changing weather.
I use it in buildings i clean for the glass doors and it works great.
Spray on and rub in until it disappears then wipe with a seperate clean cloth to polish. Micro fiber cloths are recommended, fuzzy ones to apply and smooth ones to polish.
Removes road tar from paint as well.
Dabmeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 02:27 PM   #17

Rejex on the glass. The best.
JerseyJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:24 PM   #18

RainX is what I use. Also rainx washer fill.
Marvin
GA_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:49 PM   #19

A little inexpensive tip I learned a few years ago at a motorcycle rally in Virginia...

Get a spray bottle and fill it 2/3rds full of water and 1/3rd with ordinary hydrogen peroxide (from the drugstore or supermarket) and spray that heavy on a bugged up windshield and let is sit for a few minutes and wipe it off. The bugs (dried on or otherwise) come right off.

I was told the peroxide attacks and liquifies (excuse my spelling), the bug's skeletons and allows you to remove them easily..

I'm no scientific whiz...but...

It works, I use it all tie time. No dried on, wind blown, sun baked bug can stand up to it.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:54 PM   #20

I don't leave home without a freshly waxed windshield, use step ladder to reach top. Nothing more distracting and tiring than a dirty windshield, will try products mentioned above. I just use whatever wax I have around
mikeivo27 is offline   Reply With Quote