Old 08-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #1

Key in ignition for dolly towing

My wife and I have used a 2001 crv as a toad for several years, but know we won't have it for too many more, so I bought an Ez Tow dolly for my Camry. I've been getting everything prepared for trying it out and one question I have deals with the key in the ignition. I was thinking I would have to keep it in the on position to keep the steering unlocked, which would then make me think I would need to either get a quick disconnect for the battery or take a fuse out. I would then also have to get one of those memory savers for all the presets. I then read a post on another forum that someone would put the key in the on position then turn it off leaving the key in and the steering would stay unlocked. I tried this on my 2012 Camry and that seemed to work.
I was going to call a Toyota dealer about this, but not sure they would know. I was hoping someone on the forum might be doing this with a Camry.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:49 AM   #2

When I had a tow dolly the plate that held the car in place swiveled and there was no need for the steering to be unlocked. May want to double check your dolly.

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudysWorld View Post
When I had a tow dolly the plate that held the car in place swiveled and there was no need for the steering to be unlocked. May want to double check your dolly.
That's the way mine works.

Prior Campers
1996 Coleman Sun Valley (1995 - 2002)
2017 Forester 3011 DS (2016 - Present)
SharpPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:53 PM   #4

If thats an Acme tow dolly, it does not have a swivel plate and you need to unlock the steering column.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:35 PM   #5

Check your car's owner's manual. Most ignition switches have a position that unlocks the steering column but does not turn on the ignition or accessories.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiter21 View Post
If thats an Acme tow dolly, it does not have a swivel plate and you need to unlock the steering column.

Yes, it's the acme Ez tow and does not have a swivel plate. It inverts the steering somehow to where the wheels do not move, but the steering wheel does and needs to be unlocked. I'll check my manual tomorrow.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:30 AM   #7

Brian,

One of the front tires will roll backward a few inches when you're in a turn. Also the steering wheel does turn as the front tires steer in the turn.

I noticed on sharp turns, the dolly tires will skid sideways as the radius of the turn exceeds the turning capability of the dolly/toad combination.

This initially bothered my, but its such a rare occurrence, I don't worry about it. I noticed that if I honker down on the tie downs, this limits the amount the front wheels can move and aggravates the sideways skidding in sharp turns. I've kind of figured out the optimum tie down to get the best security and still allow the toad wheels to move a little on the dolly.

Make sure your safety chains have slack in them to allow for the movement of the toad tires on the dolly.

RAMPS - Several people, including myself, have had a ramp jump out of the hooks when loading/unloading. This is a rare occurrence, but I've personally experienced it.

I added a latch to the ramp to keep it from popping off:

Acme dolly ramps pop off while loading / unloading | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

LIGHTS - Make sure your lights have a large wire tie holding them in. Otherwise they could pop out:

Acme Dolly Tail Lights fall off | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Old 08-29-2016, 12:19 PM   #8

It took me a while to figure out how the Acme dolly works, the front tires do not move
as they are strapped down but the car rotates around the front end in a turn. If you can imagine a model car where you hold the front wheels straight and turn the car,
swinging the rear end around the front end, that is how it works. The car pivots around the front suspension. I hope that makes sense.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:57 PM   #9

I also have a acme tow dolly.I connect it all up,then turn the key on and disconnect the battery.Lock the doors by hand (no power to lock em by the key fob) and away we go.To my surprise when connecting the battery to take car off the dolly none of my presets have changed.all memory for seats/radio and engine functions are still there. This is on a 2009 Hyundai Azera. I check the straps for tightness whenever I stop for fuel.as the tires do move a bit, but no problems. I also added a set of towing lights to put in the rear window of the tow car as the tow dollies lights are at the tow dolly and low by the front of the car.Made a electric tow plug with 2 sets of wires one for the dolly and one for the extra lights. to plug into my class A motorhome.Total cost for the extra lights and plugs about $25.00
Old 08-29-2016, 01:39 PM   #10
Georgia Gets Around

Had Acme Tow Dolly for ~8000 miles

So my experience has been that the passenger side dolly tire scrubs more than the drivers side. Replaced tire at ~5000 miles. Had purchased a spare when I bought the dolly. Then bought two tires at the plant to save shipping. Cost $20 to have the new tire mounted on rim at tire place that can handle all size rims.

To minimize the tire scrub I have been taking the time to be sure the car is centered on the tow dolly, and also to check the straps after a mile down the road. If the straps are not tight then the car becomes cock-eyed causing torsion which I think is what causes dolly tire scrubbing. As stated above, it scrubbed the tire down to the cords on the passenger side tire! With this new approach I have not experienced any tire scrub on the replaced tire (passenger side).

I tow a 2005 Jetta TDI. To handle the steering lock, the last thing I do before beginning my tow down the road is start the engine, turn steering will left and right, then turn off the car but don't pull the key out, this keeps the steering wheel unlocked. Then with a spare key fob lock the doors (if I'm leaving the car on the dolly over night) when I'm just stopping at a pull through over night. See if this works with your car!

Tags
towing