Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #1

Leprechaun, Forester or Sunseeker?

The DW and I are moving from and pull behind to a Class C camper. We have settled on 3 models that we are trying to choose from, all being 2014 models. The models are the Leprechaun 319DS, Forester 3011DS and the Sunseeker 3010DS. The Forester and Sunseeker seems to be the same camper except for name from our view point. We really like the Leprechaun with the the optional recliners, one thing we don't care is the placement of the tv coming up from the counter. Seems it could get wet from sink or possible spills. Could any Leprechaun owner please give us some feedback on this. Also I think the Forester comes with LED lighting but not the SunSeeker, is this correct.

Anyway would love to hear feedback either pros or cons of either models.
Rzbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:14 AM   #2

We owned a LeprechAun until we upgraded to our current Berkshire. It was a great coach. Our only complaints were very minor and nothing that would have prevented me from purchasing it again. We had a bunkhouse model, which gave us a medicine cabinet directly above the sink in the bathroom and it made it impossible to brush your teeth in the bathroom ;-). No prob, just used the main sink. (You would hit your head on the mirror no matter how you maneuvered..just an odd error in placement I think?). We found the finishes to be great, functionality good, we had a gas and it did well in the mountains of CO, I have great memories in it . It looked good in parks and on the road. If you have any specific questions let me know.
Ashley
Tallcotton4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:25 AM   #3

You are correct that the Sunseeker aned Forester are the same coach with the same structure, floor plans, appliances, etc.. The Forester is an "upgrade" in some ways with some features that are options on the Sunseeker such as a nicer mattress and some that are not available on the Sunseeker, such as padded ceiling and fiberglass running boards. We purchased a Sunseeker and ordered it with all the options that we wanted that were standard on the Forester.

From following this forum, it appears that there are some dealers that only sell either Foresters or Sunseekers. Bob Ledford's RV in Greer, SC, where were purchased ours, carries both, so we could easily see the differences.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #4

We just bought out first RV and after looking at many different models and brands, it was the Leprechaun 317SA model that sold us. It has the "side aisle" layout which offers an all in one bathroom with shower and a back queen master bedroom without the hallway thru the middle. The hallway runs down the passenger side. It was unique and it offered us more living space and usuable kitchen area.

We looked at the 319 but didn't like the "hallway" or the pop up TV. I thought the same thing about spills. Ours has a drop down TV that comes out of the upper cabinets over the dinette. Lovely design that just works!

We picked it up with 4700 miles on it for about $25k less than sale price. We couldn't be happier. Yes, as with all things, there are a few minor complaints. The Cabover bunk could have more headroom, the outdoor "dorm size" refrigerator is kinda useless and takes up cargo space, the Project 2000 electric step is problematic and the water inlets on the outside could be higher quality. Other than that, we love it and can't wait to take our next trip as soon as we come home from one! As a lifelong boater, I can't say I ever felt that way. I always needed a few weeks rest before heading back to the boat to stay for the weekend. Our 317 is just so comfy and nice, its like having a cabin wherever we go!

Good luck on your decision, we don't regret ours for a minute!

2013 Coachmen Leprechaun 317SAF
1998 Seaward Fox Cat rigged trailerable sailboat
Our Lake Life Blog
TimeOutRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #5

Thanks to all that replied with some great comments and insights.

TimeOutRV after looking at the floor-plan online of the Leprechaun 317A we were impressed. Can't wait to see one on the lot.

Tallcotton4 we will be paying closer attention to the ergonomics of the motorhome.

RamblerGuy your comments were exactly what we have noticed when we compared the Forester to the Sunseeker.

Again thanks for sharing your comments and insights.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:24 PM   #6

Speaking of egronomics, spend as much time as you can with your first choice trying out everything in the coach. Sit on the toilet (okay, just sit, don't try it out!). Some floorplans have the toilet raised above the floor and there's no good place to put your feet. Get in and out of the bed a few times. Move around like you're making it up. On our Sunseeker 3100 the huge rear storage intrudes into the bedroom and making the bed is a pain. It's a tradeoff for the storage. Look under the sinks. How much actual storage is there? How much storage is under the bed? Is the medicine cabinet over the toilet? Ours is and you had better have the lid down when you open the cabinet after traveling! We know the compromises and live with them to get the other features that we enjoy.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #7

We have the 3010DS Sunseeker. We did not like the popup TV on the Leprechaun either. Figured somehow wed destroy that tv. I just looked at a bunch of Sunseekers and foresters at an RV show. I too have the Sunseeker with all the toys except soft touch ceiling and the lighting long the floor. Both very nice Coaches. Agree with Rambler Guy. Layout is the most important thing.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #8

We have a 2013 Leprechaun 319DSF. Ordered August last year and picked up in November.
Really liked the layout, cabinet and countertop space.
Also like the shower separate from the bathroom as both of us can get ready at the same time.
Also like the full queen bed (though the mattress provided was a POS). Have added a memory foam for a good nights sleep.
The U shaped dinette next to the couch was very desirable.
I'd recommend the Leprechaun to anyone looking for a well laid out floor plan in a quality Class C.
2013leprechaun319dsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #9

Again thanks to all for your comments and insights.

RamblerGuy - We will definitely try to check the items very carefully.

MikeRP - That is our only worry about the Leprechaun 319DS. Really like everything else with the RV.

2013leprechaun319dsf - As you, we love the U-shaped dinette and the layout of the coach. Have you had any problems with with getting any water from sink when rinsing dishes on the tv? Also does it give you enough counter space to prepare meals, ect.?

Does any one know if you can get LED lighting on either of the RVs?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:30 PM   #10

Rzbot

No problems with water on TV. Sink is 3-4 or so feet from TV.
Gobs of counter space to prepare meals. Something I really liked about layout.
The Leprechaun comes with outside LED lights.
Getting ready to change over the inside to LED.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013leprechaun319dsf View Post
Rzbot

No problems with water on TV. Sink is 3-4 or so feet from TV.
Gobs of counter space to prepare meals. Something I really liked about layout.
The Leprechaun comes with outside LED lights.
Getting ready to change over the inside to LED.

Great to here some feedback from someone who has the 319DSF. Glad to here the TV is not getting wet or taking up too much counter space. Thanks for feedback. DW and I really like this model.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallcotton4 View Post
... No prob, just used the main sink. (You would hit your head on the mirror no matter how you maneuvered..just an odd error in placement I think?). We found the finishes to be great, functionality good,...
Had to laugh about the bathroom sink - no doubt there. We have had ours for about a month now. That was the first thing we noticed...the sink is sort of dysfunctional(aka Airplane mode). By far not a show stopper.

We do enjoy ours moving from a TT. We bought the 320BH...lots of room and sleeping accommodations for the GKs - more TVs in this thing than in my house.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #13

Robot
I meant to say sink is 3-4 inches from TV. No problems with splashes.
And I meant to sat the HW heater shut off valve is under the stove behind a remove able panel.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013leprechaun319dsf View Post
Robot
I meant to say sink is 3-4 inches from TV. No problems with splashes.
And I meant to sat the HW heater shut off valve is under the stove behind a remove able panel.
Thanks for the update and info. DW and I will be looking at the Leprechauns this weekend.

On another note does anyone know if you can get LED lights inside on the SunSeeker or Forester?
Old 09-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #15

My comparisons

I was very interested in the 319 and compared it closely to the 3010. I found the Leprechaun to have 16 gal. propane vs 10 gal on the Sunseeker; dual pane windows can be had as an option; both slides on the same (drivers) side which frees up the patio side; dual recliners can be had; bed is 80" vs 74"; seems to have more bedroom storage, i.e. above bed, none on Sunseeker; bigger awning; can get electric fireplace option; like the lower tv location. On the flip side, Sunseeker has gas/electric water heater standard, is optional on Leprechaun; std rear ladder on Sunseeker, optional on Leprechaun; std spare tire on Sunseeker, optional on Leprechaun. These comparisons were on 2013 specs and, if I were buying today, I would go with the Coachmen. I toured both plants while at the FROG rally and construction on both seemed about the same to me. However, I have now started to wonder about a 32' plus motorhome on a 14,500gvw chassis and am leaning toward a class A. The FR3 looks like a good option at a price point, but for good build, the Newmar Baystar has me sold...but you will pay another $20K for it. Good luck!
biglou847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzbot View Post
Thanks for the update and info. DW and I will be looking at the Leprechauns this weekend.

On another note does anyone know if you can get LED lights inside on the SunSeeker or Forester?
forester comes with all LED lights standard. sunseeker does not and you cannot get them as an option even on Sunseeker.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:57 AM   #17

BigLou947 - Thanks so much for your insight into the differences between the Leprechaun and SunSeeker. You brought up some great points for us to compare as we shop.

GerryM51 - Appreciate the answer to the LED lights question. I would think all will be changed over to LED lighting in the near future.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #18

Another big difference is the Sunseeker has a fiberglass roof while the Coachman does not.
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #19

How did your shopping trip go?

2013 Coachmen Leprechaun 317SAF
1998 Seaward Fox Cat rigged trailerable sailboat
Our Lake Life Blog
TimeOutRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #20

I am seriously looking at the 317SA. I like the floorplan and the ample storage. How does the 317SA handle on the road and how does it do on hills, both going up and down. Does it have auto downshift...something like an engine brake? Thanks much, Laura
lcstanl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester, sunseeker