Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2015, 08:58 AM   #1

looking for our first motorhome

We are now shopping for our first motorhome. We test drove a Sunseeker 2500TS and the engine noise seemed to be really loud. Our other choice is the small Forester.. Any thoughts would be a great help.
oldrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:18 AM   #2

Similar situation as yours. We bought our first motorhome December last. I am a shopper. Almost all gasoline engine motorhomes use the Ford V-10 ... if your trips will be short and you can live with mileage in the 8 mpg range, that'd be a good choice. We bought a Solera based on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis - V-6 Diesel gets us between 14 and 16 mpg ... a bit more when drafting behind big trucks on level highways. These are around 15% less expensive than the Winnebego / Navion equivalents. Also, Benz based diesel Class C motorhomes retain their resale value better than the gas versions. The other caveat is the cargo capacity. We saw some really fine Class C motorhomes on which the "empty weight" and the "gross weight" differed by under 500 lbs - this means you will exceed the manufacturers recommended carrying capacity with 2 portly passengers and a driver. The Solera weighed in, without me, at right around 10,000 lbs - leaving over 1,000 lbs for passengers and their stuff. Pay CAREFUL attention to weights ... they're important. Best of luck ... it will be a great adventure for you.
MiataHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:26 PM   #3

We have a Sunseeker 2300. The V10 is loud when accelerating but is much quieter when cruising in 5th gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
JimV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:22 PM   #4

I have a nice 2007 Georgetown 338 sse for sale. I will send pictures if you wish!
gmann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:26 PM   #5

We have a 2013 Sunseeker 2450S on the Chevy platform, pull a Mazda 3 on a dolly and there is no loud engine noise like the Ford platform. Never an issue up and down hills. Had it over 2 years and love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
markangie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:59 PM   #6
Wait till next year...

Check the Sunseeker brochure- its downloadable at the Forest River site- It'll give you the specs on cargo weights,exterior storage(which can be very important) and hitch ratings(againn important based on the toad you may be towing). Sunseekers have at least 2000 lbs difference between unloaded weight and Gvwr, as Miata said the soleras have a thousand. We have a 2650 which fits our needs, small slide,28' which will fit a lot of state park sites,fixed bed(short queen),easy access to bath and appliances on the road, and it'll pull 7500 lbs(solera only pulls 4200). Shop around I actually met some really good people when we were looking and like here on the forum they were happy to offer advice.
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome