Old 03-05-2016, 10:24 AM   #1

Looks like it is time for a MH

I have developed a problem I did not expect or anticipate. A few years ago I switched over to a fifth wheel and love it! Going to a 5er from a TT was not a mistake! I found them much easier to tow and have all the room I need for my dog and I.

I knew I was going to have to have my left foot amputated and would have to learn to walk with a prosthetic. In the last 1 and a 1/2 years I have had that done and am making out OK with it considering. I thought I might have a problem with steps on the 5er but that has not been the case. I have found that I can handle then, with or without a cane. My problem is something I hadn't taken into consideration.

It is getting into my truck that causes a problem! Damn, hadn't thought of that! I have noticed that on days where I have climbed into my truck 4 or 5 times in one day my back really starts to bother me. It is to the point that I know I am going to have a problem with a short, 5 or 6 hour, trip.

So now I am considering a MH. Not a big one, 32 to 36 footer. Going to talk to my dealer today. I am surre I can find a MH I will be happy with. I have time to look around if need be.

Now, after two hours of explaining, my question. I could sell my truck and get a small car to tow behind the MH. I have seen some towed with just two wheels off the ground, some on a small trailer. I would probably get something like a small Jeep or SUV. Is there an advantage of one trailer system over the other? Am thinking a small trailer might be easier to use, just drive up on it and lock it down, but really don't know. So looking for recommendations. I don't want to have to do this again! Really don't want to do it now but don't see much of a choice.

And please don't recommend a step up into my truck. I have that already and am still having a problem. I have tried about everything you can dream up, even a milk crate, LOL! Nothing is written in stone though, I do like my 5er!

Jim

oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:50 AM   #2

For the easiest towing I strongly recommend 4 wheels down towing. I also recommend a tow system like the Blue Ox as it is very easy for one person to took up. All you need to do is get the vehicle (to be rowed) close to the MH tow bar and extend the tow bar ends to secure the pins.
A Jeep product (4WD) would be an excellent 4 wheel down vehicle as you can disengage the wheels/steering easily. Do yourself a favor and check out this system before you buy a small dolly or trailer. Don't forget, once you're at a campground, you need to deal with unhooking and/or storing the small trailer/dolly as most campsites will not accommodate a MH, trailer, and a car/SUV.

2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:47 PM   #3
World Wide Wanderer

We just moved over to a Class C/B+ and are loving it. I have had about every type of RV ever built over the past 35+ years.

My personal preference is to tow 4 wheels down. Once the toad is set up it is basically plug and play. With the dolly you have to have some where to store it when the car is off of it.

Our modus operandi typically is going to be; me and the dog will take off with the MoHo and my bride catches up to us along the road, hook the car up and carry on. I would hate to be hauling and empty dolly along.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:53 PM   #4

4 wheels down is definitely the way to go. Sometimes there is no room in a campground for a dolly or a trailer. And once you remove the tow vehicle off the dolly or trailer, how will you move it to park it?
Old 03-07-2016, 11:02 AM   #5

Get a list of cars that are flat towed. Try them out at a car lot to see which one will work best. We have towed flat a Buick Enclave a Jeep Wrangler and now a Lincoln MKX. The MKX is by far the best for us. It is as easy or easier than the Wrangler to hook up and go. I have physical issues that make the Moho better for me and hooking up the toad is important as is getting in and out. I will post a link to flat towed vehicles.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Get a list of cars that are flat towed. Try them out at a car lot to see which one will work best. We have towed flat a Buick Enclave a Jeep Wrangler and now a Lincoln MKX. The MKX is by far the best for us. It is as easy or easier than the Wrangler to hook up and go. I have physical issues that make the Moho better for me and hooking up the toad is important as is getting in and out. I will post a link to flat towed vehicles.
Phil,

Thanks, and thanks everyone for the info. I had not given the trailer as being a problem but see now it is.

Things are on hold for now. My daughter talked to her husband who is a master mechanic. They know I like my 5er, and so do they. He borrowed my truck Saturday and just brought it back. It now has a custom step on the drivers side. It makes getting in and out of my truck much easier! It is bolted on and he saved the chrome one that was there so he can put it back if I upgrade the truck. The new step can be put on any truck if need be. So we shall see how this works.

Again, thanks all for the information. Sure others will find it useful also.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:37 AM   #7

I have a nice Class C for sale, see classifieds for a 2014 SunSeeker 3010DS. Better deal than any dealer will give you.

No matter what, welcome to the MH group
bb920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:35 PM   #8

New Rv

Go 4 down you don't have to get down on your knees to hook up or unhook and a small tow vehicle with plenty of headroom. I have had some struggles myself and find a motorhome with toad is by far the easiest way to travel. Don't have to do a lot of bending over for periods of time either. Good Luck
Old 03-07-2016, 02:14 PM   #9

You might look at a Bruno Stowaway PUL1850. I have lost the use of my legs and I transfer from my wheelchair onto the lift raises me up and slide into the truck.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:12 PM   #10

Good luck with that step. Hope it works for you. We went to the B+ 28' after my second knee replacement. Closer to the ground and no interior steps makes it much easier for me. We chose to call Enterprise so far rather than tow but are always open to change. The only problem (for us) to tow four down are the vehicles suitable for it.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote