Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2016, 10:24 AM   #1

Looks like it is time for a MH

I have developed a problem I did not expect or anticipate. A few years ago I switched over to a fifth wheel and love it! Going to a 5er from a TT was not a mistake! I found them much easier to tow and have all the room I need for my dog and I.

I knew I was going to have to have my left foot amputated and would have to learn to walk with a prosthetic. In the last 1 and a 1/2 years I have had that done and am making out OK with it considering. I thought I might have a problem with steps on the 5er but that has not been the case. I have found that I can handle then, with or without a cane. My problem is something I hadn't taken into consideration.

It is getting into my truck that causes a problem! Damn, hadn't thought of that! I have noticed that on days where I have climbed into my truck 4 or 5 times in one day my back really starts to bother me. It is to the point that I know I am going to have a problem with a short, 5 or 6 hour, trip.

So now I am considering a MH. Not a big one, 32 to 36 footer. Going to talk to my dealer today. I am surre I can find a MH I will be happy with. I have time to look around if need be.

Now, after two hours of explaining, my question. I could sell my truck and get a small car to tow behind the MH. I have seen some towed with just two wheels off the ground, some on a small trailer. I would probably get something like a small Jeep or SUV. Is there an advantage of one trailer system over the other? Am thinking a small trailer might be easier to use, just drive up on it and lock it down, but really don't know. So looking for recommendations. I don't want to have to do this again! Really don't want to do it now but don't see much of a choice.

And please don't recommend a step up into my truck. I have that already and am still having a problem. I have tried about everything you can dream up, even a milk crate, LOL! Nothing is written in stone though, I do like my 5er!

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:50 AM   #2

For the easiest towing I strongly recommend 4 wheels down towing. I also recommend a tow system like the Blue Ox as it is very easy for one person to took up. All you need to do is get the vehicle (to be rowed) close to the MH tow bar and extend the tow bar ends to secure the pins.
A Jeep product (4WD) would be an excellent 4 wheel down vehicle as you can disengage the wheels/steering easily. Do yourself a favor and check out this system before you buy a small dolly or trailer. Don't forget, once you're at a campground, you need to deal with unhooking and/or storing the small trailer/dolly as most campsites will not accommodate a MH, trailer, and a car/SUV.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:47 PM   #3
World Wide Wanderer

We just moved over to a Class C/B+ and are loving it. I have had about every type of RV ever built over the past 35+ years.

My personal preference is to tow 4 wheels down. Once the toad is set up it is basically plug and play. With the dolly you have to have some where to store it when the car is off of it.

Our modus operandi typically is going to be; me and the dog will take off with the MoHo and my bride catches up to us along the road, hook the car up and carry on. I would hate to be hauling and empty dolly along.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:53 PM   #4

4 wheels down is definitely the way to go. Sometimes there is no room in a campground for a dolly or a trailer. And once you remove the tow vehicle off the dolly or trailer, how will you move it to park it?
Sbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:02 AM   #5

Get a list of cars that are flat towed. Try them out at a car lot to see which one will work best. We have towed flat a Buick Enclave a Jeep Wrangler and now a Lincoln MKX. The MKX is by far the best for us. It is as easy or easier than the Wrangler to hook up and go. I have physical issues that make the Moho better for me and hooking up the toad is important as is getting in and out. I will post a link to flat towed vehicles.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Get a list of cars that are flat towed. Try them out at a car lot to see which one will work best. We have towed flat a Buick Enclave a Jeep Wrangler and now a Lincoln MKX. The MKX is by far the best for us. It is as easy or easier than the Wrangler to hook up and go. I have physical issues that make the Moho better for me and hooking up the toad is important as is getting in and out. I will post a link to flat towed vehicles.
Phil,

Thanks, and thanks everyone for the info. I had not given the trailer as being a problem but see now it is.

Things are on hold for now. My daughter talked to her husband who is a master mechanic. They know I like my 5er, and so do they. He borrowed my truck Saturday and just brought it back. It now has a custom step on the drivers side. It makes getting in and out of my truck much easier! It is bolted on and he saved the chrome one that was there so he can put it back if I upgrade the truck. The new step can be put on any truck if need be. So we shall see how this works.

Again, thanks all for the information. Sure others will find it useful also.

Jim
Old 03-07-2016, 11:37 AM   #7

I have a nice Class C for sale, see classifieds for a 2014 SunSeeker 3010DS. Better deal than any dealer will give you.

No matter what, welcome to the MH group
bb920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:35 PM   #8

New Rv

Go 4 down you don't have to get down on your knees to hook up or unhook and a small tow vehicle with plenty of headroom. I have had some struggles myself and find a motorhome with toad is by far the easiest way to travel. Don't have to do a lot of bending over for periods of time either. Good Luck
Boso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:14 PM   #9

You might look at a Bruno Stowaway PUL1850. I have lost the use of my legs and I transfer from my wheelchair onto the lift raises me up and slide into the truck.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:12 PM   #10

Good luck with that step. Hope it works for you. We went to the B+ 28' after my second knee replacement. Closer to the ground and no interior steps makes it much easier for me. We chose to call Enterprise so far rather than tow but are always open to change. The only problem (for us) to tow four down are the vehicles suitable for it.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:48 PM   #11

I would go 4 wheels down also, I am towing a 2013 Chevy Equinox. There are a lot of car models changing transmissions and with no data on them being towed 4 down car manufacturers are not OK with them being towed 4 down. I checked the Motorhome Dinghy guide, then checked the owners manuals online and then triple checked with dealer before going with my Equinox. It was too big of a deal for me to mess up. Surprised you haven't got any tow dolly folks to answer, a lot of people like them so you can tow any front wheel drive vehicle without any modifications. I did that for a couple of years but then went 4 down and will never go back.

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:49 PM   #12

I am a Toyota RAV4 FWD car dolly person. Leased. Pulling it around saves on the lease miles. When this lease is up, I'm open to looking for a good 4 wheel down tow.
bb920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:04 PM   #13

At an auto show a few years back I saw a truck that had the front driver bucket seat that acutually came out and down. You then sat it in and it would lift you into the truck. I know they have these because we almost bought one for my Dad. Check with the people that modify vehicles for disabled people.

Jaime
Brake Buddy Stealth
jgallego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:35 PM   #14

First of all let me say I am sorry for your loss. Now you know what it is like to be a one legged man at an ass kicking contest. That said, I have a class A gasser and pull a small Chevy HHR 4 wheels down. If I were you, I would look for a car or SUV that you might like to tow and try to get in and out of several times. Some are very low to the ground like mine, some are higher like your pickup. Find your tow vehicle make sure it can be towed 4 down buy a base plate and tow bar (I like Blue OX) and you will be a happy camper.
Fkaske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:59 AM   #15

We just ordered a new Forester 3051S and will be towing a Honda CR-V AWD 4-wheels down. They need no modifications like some vehicles do. Although from 2015 on, they are NOT flat towable since they changed the transmission. We got a 2014, which is like new. Wife didn't want a Jeep, so there were only a few options, but we really like the Honda CR-V.
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:19 AM   #16

Thanks everyone for the good wishes and help! I really do appreciate it!

I am having some problems with this prosthetic but expected to have some. After all, it is not real but beats not having anything. The truck was the biggest problem. Had to pull myself up to sit in the seat using the inside handles. The extra step should help a lot.

My other problem is getting down on the ground. I can't kneel. I can't bend my knee to a 90 degree angle when wearing it so get low, spin and sit, LOL! I know, sounds weird but it works. That is what counts. I can scoot around on the ground pretty good! I can also bend over pretty well. I thought keeping my balance would be a major problem but its not as bad as I thought. Getting better at it every day.

And for those curious no I haven't tried a ladder yet. I think that would really be pushing my luck, LMAO! But then again, who knows? I keep surprising myself.

Jim
Old 03-08-2016, 09:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fkaske View Post
First of all let me say I am sorry for your loss. Now you know what it is like to be a one legged man at an ass kicking contest.
THANK YOU, NEEDED THAT THIS MORNING!!

That said, I might be able to win that contest! Got a son-in-law that said he will handle anything I can't get my leg up high enough to handle. Do they allow "stand ins"?

I tried a number of different SUV's and found quite a difference in them. Most were 3 to 5 years old with low mileage. I don't drive much any more, mostly doctors appointments or food shopping. Now that I know about "4 down" will have to start looking again.

This might sound stupid but just getting a second vehicle to get around in and keep my truck and 5er might be a lot cheaper than getting a MH. Don't think I will be able to afford a MH newer than an 08. New ones are more than my house! Don't really want to take out a second mortgage. I guess I could sell my home and park a new one on a permanent spot though.

Jim
Old 03-08-2016, 09:56 AM   #18

Not sure what MH you are considering, but as you probably already know, some of those options may be better than others. Certain models of the Class C have integrated lower profile entry steps.The driver and passenger doors also have running board steps, hand rails and for the most part are lower.They range in length from 27 to 32 feet and can tow 5,000 to 7500 toad.Some manufactures are FR Lexington, Jayco Melbourne and Winnebago Aspect/Itasca Cambria.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:20 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
Not sure what MH you are considering, but as you probably already know, some of those options may be better than others. Certain models of the Class C have integrated lower profile entry steps.The driver and passenger doors also have running board steps, hand rails and for the most part are lower.They range in length from 27 to 32 feet and can tow 5,000 to 7500 toad.Some manufactures are FR Lexington, Jayco Melbourne and Winnebago Aspect/Itasca Cambria.
You name it and they make it. I saw a nice 24 foot class C but it won't work for me because of the bed. Would have to climb a ladder to get in it, see the photos and you will see what I mean.

2015 Dynamax 24B by Forest River B+/C Motorhome - Classic RV Sales - Classic RV Sales

Not sure what I like better, class C or class A. Both have there advantages.

Jim
Old 03-08-2016, 10:52 AM   #20

Agreed, all shapes and sizes, here are a couple of newer models, easier access beds.

2016 Winnebago Aspect 30J, Seffner FL - - RVtrader.com

2015 Forest River Lexington 283TS, Greenfield IN - - RVtrader.com
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote